Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step by step - How do I set up a soundbank for live shows?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
autoxlife

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Step by step - How do I set up a soundbank for live shows? Reply with quote

I need Simple, Clear, Step by step instructions on how to set up a sound bank for live shows. I don't know which bank the sounds go in, or how they get put in there at all. It's really frustrating having to go to the category and hit hold and scanning through the patches trying to find the right one. Thanks so much!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Create a combi for song 1, store it to a free combi bank, index 0.
2. Create a combi for song 2, store it to the next combi, index 1
3...x continue for every song

Make sure to have some gaps to easily move around combis later when the set changes (inserting new combis).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
autoxlife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that didn't really help me at all. Can someone else please try?!?!
Lex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my KARMA for gigs. I use combis live, but usually without the KARMA function; I don't currently use it live in the prog metal band I play in.

Why do I use combis live? because it allows you to merge multiple Programs, eg strings behind piano, or split the keyboard up eg top half piano bottom half strings or organ, things like that..splitting the board into two halves with different patches is especially useful if you've got a quick switch to make between patches - it avoids the brief cutout you get when switching between patches manually.

I'm a relative newbie to sound design myself but I understand you can get a lot more expression from the insert effects and master effects in combi mode also.

The manual will give you the step by step process of creating a combi. if you've never edited any combis before, your bank C should be full of blank combis. bank C is blank by default.

I save my live set in combi bank C in sequence. so when it comes to play live, i'll select combi C001, and then hit the Up Arrow button, and go to C002, etc. I do need to look into assigning a pedal to do the switching though to free up my hands more. Bank D is also empty; I use this for loading in PCG data and saving patches that don't belong in my live set. Program banks C and D are also blank by default so you can save your own programs there.

First off, select a blank initialised combi in bank C you've not edited before. you want to select the programs you want to use in your combi's Prog page (navigate to the prog page using the F keys under the screen). once you have the sounds you want to use selected, Press the menu button next to your numbers. each of the pages under here allows you to configure the combi properly: You need to read up in the manual about setting up the midi channel for the programs in your combi (they ought to be set to GCh, short for global channel, to make a sound, i think. this function can let you send and receive data with other instruments) and about setting key zones if you want to split the board into different sounds. you can also set effects like overdrive and phasers in one of the menus after pressing the Menu button, as well as setting up the joystick, pedals, The KARMA basic guide manual will reveal all Smile

Whenever you've made changes you want to save, use the "Write combi" function under the Utility button at the bottom right of the screen. You can rename it here too, and save it into different places if you wish.

These steps should let you build up a basic sound bank of your own combis. You can also use already made combis from banks A, B and E, which is what i did to begin with, albeit slightly tweaking them to mute certain programs, change keyzones, add overdrive to an organ, etc. Just remember so "Write combination" with the KARMA function OFF if you don't want it on, like me.

This should give you the basic outline, but what you need to do is grab a coffee and sit down and fiddle with the combis in bank C, and save them in the sequence you'd play them live - all the combis here are blank, so you needn't worry about overwriting anything in A, B or E unless you tell it to save there!

Assuming you use the "Write combi" function, the combis will stay where they are, as they are, when you turn off the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: