Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old snare stand (not so good)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martygras

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Old snare stand (not so good) Reply with quote

I've been using an old snare stand for the last few days and noticed that the stand itself is triggering the Wavedrum.

Every hit causes a bunch of tiny rattles that are created by the loose joints on the snare stand. Mad

For live situations I occasionally use a Yamaha drum cage which can clamp just the basket of the snare stand and also mounts for the Handsonics and iPad.

I'll probably get the recommended stand when I can afford it, but would welcome any alternative ideas as well.

BTW You guys rock! Thanks for all the help on this forum.
Marty Very Happy
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I us an old Ludwig when I want higher and a new Gibraltar when I want lower. I would love a high end Gibraltar snare cage I could move between the heavy cymbal stand or snare stand.
martygras

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always trusted Ludwig stands for good quality. Gibraltar can be a bit expensive, but probably worth it.

Yes, the stand needs to be as sturdy as possible to handle the pounding.

I have been playing conga for years and have never had to hit it as hard as I have to hit the Wavedrum to trigger the layered sounds with a high threshold setting. Is that normal???
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine takes a bit of effort for some stuff but man does it take a beating when the kids Play it! Well I get carried away also!
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snare stands:
I've always been a big fan of the top-of-the-line Yamaha snare stands. Not only are they sturdy but, just as importantly, they have a swivel-ball for angle adjustment. This is particularly useful for positioning the Wavedrum at the exact angle you want. They used to make a 4-arm snare stand—which makes it easy to keep the cradle out of the way of the output jack panel—but I don't see that one on their website any longer.

Pearl makes some nice stands with the swivel adjustment (actually, all of them except the 7-series), and Mapex is another company that offers the swivel-ball in not just their highest-end 9-series, but also their mid-line stand: the S-750A. I use that one as well sometimes.

As to getting at those layered sounds:
Yes, it can be difficult on some programs to excite all the different voices if you're only playing with hands. What I find to be the most effective is using one stick and one hand—that way I can access all the pitch-bending with one hand and all the dynamics with a stick or mallet in the other.

I realize that for some of the more conventional sounds—djembe, conga, etc—you will probably prefer to use just hands, but for the layered sounds, especially some of the special-effects sounds, using a stick/mallet will make all the difference in the world.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaveDrummer wrote:
Snare stands:
I've always been a big fan of the top-of-the-line Yamaha snare stands. Not only are they sturdy but, just as importantly, they have a swivel-ball for angle adjustment. This is particularly useful for positioning the Wavedrum at the exact angle you want. They used to make a 4-arm snare stand—which makes it easy to keep the cradle out of the way of the output jack panel—but I don't see that one on their website any longer.

Pearl makes some nice stands with the swivel adjustment (actually, all of them except the 7-series), and Mapex is another company that offers the swivel-ball in not just their highest-end 9-series, but also their mid-line stand: the S-750A. I use that one as well sometimes.

I'm using a Gibraltar 7606EX which also has the swivel-ball for adjustment. This stand is sturdy, very adjustable, has extended height, and its really spoiled me Wink
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5000 series Gibraltar stands I have do not have the swivel ball and it is a pain. The Ludwig does but it is so worn it is a bit floppy in spots. I'm going to look into a swivel ball from Gibraltar!
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
I'm using a Gibraltar 7606EX...

Yeah, that's one of the best options for standing height. I've used that one too!
martygras

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing for a while my wrists seemed a bit sore. I tried adjusting the stand to angle the drum away from me and I love it this way. Very similar to tabla orientation.
It looks strange, but it maybe better that the audience gets to see more action.

I always sit at my conga (which sits on the floor) so it's at the right height already, and my wrists never get tired.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martygras wrote:
After playing for a while my wrists seemed a bit sore. I tried adjusting the stand to angle the drum away from me and I love it this way. Very similar to tabla orientation.
It looks strange, but it maybe better that the audience gets to see more action.

I often setup the Wavedrum with a slight angle away from me, especially when using two of them. It's always a good idea to go with the most ergonomic, comfortable position. Don't worry about how it looks, most people are fascinated by the Wavedrum however it's setup. Smile

Here's a good example of setting them up for comfortable playing.
Efrain Toro at the NAMM show in 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZHyTjl8IyA
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog gone it I was over my desire for two WD's now I want another again.
martygras

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Resistance is futile.
Slabwax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do it two is twice as much as fun as one. I've just started using my second one and I'm loving it.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavedrummer is the reason I bought the first one, then he was hte reason I got some mallets and more sticks then brushes, now another wavedrum. I am trying to wait for the next version. I expect/ hope for some true innovation. Now Freestok and WaterDrum have me all wrpped up in modding, a losing battle there for a guitar player amp builder anyway. You guys are a bad influence! hahhaaha Laughing

When my wife asks why, I just blame you all!
Slabwax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:

When my wife asks why, I just blame you all!

By all means give her my e-mail I'm so used to deflecting the whole I've spent too much money on gear thing. You should see me dance Very Happy

Slabwax
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: