Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Log Drum program for the Wavedrum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Log Drum program for the Wavedrum Reply with quote

Hi guys,

One thing I've always thought the Wavedrum could use is a decent Log Drum (Slit Drum) program. I've come up with a few variations on that type of sound but it's very difficult to reproduce what a Log Drum actually sounds like. I own a couple of different "real" Log Drums, and they've always been among my favorite instruments to play around on.

So, yesterday I set aside some time and really tried to tackle this again. Developing this type of sound really brings out all the frustrating and tedious aspects of programming on the Wavedrum. One of the biggest obstacles when working with melodic sounds is combing the algorithms with the PCMs. Quite often I've found that the PCM sounds are tempered to a non-standard pitch. This means that if I'm trying to tune something like a bell sound to blend with one of the algorithms, I can never quite get them to match. No matter how high or low I tune the PCM, it will always be either a little sharp or a little flat—by a quarter-tone. Vey frustrating! The fine tuning just isn't "fine" enough.

Some of the melodic algorithms DO actually allow for very minor adjustments to the pitch, so it might be possible to tune the algorithms to the PCM instead of the other way around. But then the algorithm wouldn't be tuned to any usable reference pitch (like A-440), which could make playing with OTHER instruments a problem. For instance, even though I was trying to create a Log Drum sound, I couldn't even use the actual "Log Drum" PCM rim sound because I could never get it to the exact, desired pitch.

Well, so much for my long essay. What I ended up with is, I think, a good starting point if nothing else. It's not perfect but it's as close as I could get with the available sounds and settings. It also demonstrates how much is involved in creating what ultimately sounds like a somewhat simple and straightforward sound. I spent quite a few hours on this, mostly because I like to explore all the options and, as I said, the process was tedious and many, many experiments just didn't work. I wanted something that was melodic, slightly "wooden" and "hollow" sounding, and percussive. I made all my choices very carefully so be sure to copy everything exactly before trying your own variations otherwise my original intent will have been lost. But I hope others will experiment as well and maybe offer some cool variations. The other difficulty with melodic programs is that if you change the pitch of just one of the sounds, most likely all the others will have to be changed as well—especially when dealing with the different scales.

For this attempt, I chose the Major Scale and set it to "random" mode so that it works well with sticks, mallets or hands without requiring too much technique or stick-control in order to hear the different pitches. One thing about the Major Scale is that it doesn't include the higher octave of the root note, so I've placed that pitch on the rim.

I've laid out the parameters in the order that makes the most sense to me. This should only take a few minutes for anyone to program these settings into their own Wavedrum. I basically had to start from scratch with this program so you'll need to copy all of the parameters (all 36 of them!).

Also, I've only used sounds from the Silver Wavedrum so that regardless of which version of the Wavedrum you own, you will have access to all these sounds.

I'll post the specific information in a separate post below this one. You'll likely need to program ALL the settings before it's starts to make any sense or sound like something that is usable.

Feel free to use this program or modify it in any way that suits you. Just give me credit for the program if anyone asks!

Enjoy!

Last edited by WaveDrummer on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log Drum simulation for the Wavedrum

It's important that you assign the Algorithms and PCMs first!

Head Algorithm: 21 Bamboo
Head PCM: 49 Tumba Open
Rim Algorithm: 21 Bamboo
Rim PCM: 26 Low Conga

Edit 1 Mode:

ALG: 21__49__21__26

LEV: 80__50__100_80

tun: 50__04__62__13

dcy: 87_-10__90__00 -- [Note the "negative" setting in the 2nd parameter]

rEb: 04__18__33__25

ALL OTHER VALUES (V.Cr, P.Cr, P.tn, P.dc) = 00

Edit 2 Mode:

H 1-4 00__35__10__00

H 5-8 00__24__05__02

r 1-4 00__35__10__00

r 5-8 00__24__07__00

Let me know what you think! Wink
martygras

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh. I see you are using the tumba and conga as the resonant (longer decay) part of the tone. That is what I have been missing.

Increasing the decay on just the bamboo doesn't sound natural.

Thanks for sharing.

I suggest everyone who wants to trade patches start by copying Wavedrummer's post above and replacing the appropriate values.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One noteworthy thing about the Head PCM #49 Tumba Open:

If you isolate just that sound, and tune it up high, it's not a bad substitute for a woodblock/jamblock type sound, which is another instrument that is strangely absent from the factory list. Confused

Depending on how you set the decay, you can get it to sound like a cowbell or woodblock, especially in the tuning range of +15 to +24, and especially if you strike it hard with a stick.

Many of the other conga-like sounds don't work well for this because they are layered sounds which produce different textures depending on how hard you hit. The "Tumba Open" sound is one of the more "pure" PCM sounds that I have found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: