Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton Rack vs Studio or Extreme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkinnyD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Triton Rack vs Studio or Extreme Reply with quote

I'm a layman when it comes to synths...would much rather play acoustically for the most part, but bought a Triton Rack a few years ago in a clearout and have been extremely happy with it.

I've been running it with a cheap Behringer controller which just bit the dust, and there is a used Studio and a used Extreme in my area, so I'm thinking of simplifying my live rig and just playing one of those, keeping the Rack at home for recording. Could anyone tell me which of them would be closest to the Rack in terms of patches? I took a quick look at the Studio (it's at a pawn shop) and it looks like there's less in there than what's in my Rack. Haven't gone to see the Extreme yet.

Also wondering what I should be offering price-wise...used electronics can be a funny business.

Any info at all would be appreciated! Smile
SkinnyD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should specify, the Studio and Extreme are both 61 keys (for pricing suggestions).

At the pawn shop, the Studio is listed at $1000, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that's shown any interest, so I'm betting I can talk them down substantially. The Extreme is a 'make me an offer' ad, by someone who (I think) knows their gear...possibly even someone on this forum. Smile
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The studio has the possibility for an adat board, scsi interface, cd burner, stuff like that. Basically outdated "pro" interfaces. The Extreme on the other hand, comes with most of the expansion sounds Korg made. It still has a digital i/o, albeit only two channels - but would you really ever use this live?

I still use my Extreme 61 for live, and am planning to keep doing so even after getting my Kronos 88. It has a ton of patch locations, USB and a CF card for external storage, to easily swap the entire memory or load samples.

I say go with the Extreme, unless it's a LOT more expensive. Actually, even then Wink[/u]
SkinnyD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...well, alrighty then, that's one vote for the Extreme. Sounds like I better go look at it from what I've been reading in other threads too.

Still...any idea what I should be offering cash-wise?
Batsinthebelltower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately go for the extreme man

i play a triton rack using an ax7 keytar , and sure its good

but seperateing keyboard and module comes with is drawbacks i have discovered

the layout of the triton extreme (im also looking at one!) is much more user friendly than the setup ive got, and the fact you can construct beats on it and jam over them is appealing as it will build my key playing skillz

its also got the tube which apparently adds to the quality of some sounds, leads and distortions im guessing

all the european and particularly finnish metal bandsa i listen to, use the extreme
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkinnyD wrote:
Haha...well, alrighty then, that's one vote for the Extreme. Sounds like I better go look at it from what I've been reading in other threads too.

Still...any idea what I should be offering cash-wise?

It's really hard to judge as it's so dependent on location and the state of the instrument. A good guideline (that'll also hold some validity for the seller) is completed eBay listings from your country.
SkinnyD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, really appreciate all the comments, thanks!
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinny,

A tricked out rack -- as in lots of exb's -- is closer to the studio with the same exb's than an extreme.

Otherwise they are pretty much identical - I think the blue tube is a bit of a gimmick as far as real usability.

Obviously, the most pertinent feature of the extreme is the expanded all-in-one-place ROM. It includes most (not all) of the "best-of" the exb's; so it s compatible, mostly. [That is a Miracle Max "mostly", in that almost any combi you care to build on a rack you can reproduce on an extreme.] A couple of things I miss are the Chinese violin (I think that one's on the studio essentials EXB-002, and the Industrial Kit (there may be other missing kits, but the industrial samples were ones I used in many of my self-composed combis).

The Extreme doesn't allow for installation of EXB boards, so what you got is what you use, unless you're handy with the sample upload thing.

On the other hand, what the Extreme does, it does extremely well (no pun intended). Korg gives almost all the EXB sounds (plus a couple of new ones like Ulleian Pipes), they will give you a wide ranging and versatile palate of sounds to work with -- and a variety of storage media to which you can save your work or interface with supporting computer platforms.

If you want true 1-to-1 compatibility you'll need to go with the studio and transfer any exb's you want to use. For all around versatility and 95% compatibility, take the extreme.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
SkinnyD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great comparison, thanks so much BB. Honestly, at this point I don't need much from a live board - just some presets I can mess with a bit, build the odd combi, and off I go. Ease of use and not taking up much space on stage (and in my truck) are key for a multi-instrumentalist (I have to hump a full guitar rig to shows as well, plus an accordion sometimes!). I like how user-friendly the Tritons are, and am just looking for something close to my Rack for presets. So then, sounds like maybe the Studio will fit that bill, plus the price would be more right...

When I'm rich and famous I'll get the biggest and baddest - I don't need that right now, and the Rack has some great stuff in it for recording. The drunk chicks (and other discerning patrons) won't give a sh&t whether I'm playing a Studio or Extreme. Smile
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SkinnyD,

You've said that you're not, strictly speaking, a synth guy. I get the impression that you're pretty much putting on an arp for a groove and then jamming to it on guitar with a couple of quick keyboard noodles now and then. Do you use EXB boards in your rack now?

If you DON'T (i.e., your running factory stock), then you should be aware that both the Extreme and Studio could play, 100%, all your current custom combis (tho the extreme might need a bit of massaging to find the right voices and arps).

However, considered head-to-head, the Extreme will whip the heck out of an un-expanded Studio for out-of-the-box versatility and variety.

I've been tempted to pick up a studio just because I have a bunch of EXBs (more than my classic will hold) and I kind of want to get all those EXB ROMs in full (the studio can load 6 or 8 to extreme's 0 - the classic can only hold 2) for some things I've missed, but there's no way I'd give up my Extreme to do it.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
SkinnyD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not a one-man-band. I actually play...not a fan of the arpegiator at all. At least, not in a live setting...yet. Maybe when Taylor Swift or Kelly Clarkson hire me I will? Smile

In my pub trio I use a classic Wurly, Accordion, and acoustic guitar, and sing b/g's and leads. In my 3 full-on club/corporate cover bands I play keys, electric guitar, and sing - same with my originals projects. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I actually didn't realize I could dump memory from one machine to another - I tend not to be ambitious with that side of things. I run a Line 6 currently for my electric guitar work, but basically use 2 factory settings and that's it. Hence, I'm looking at upgrading that to a tube amp that I can play clean or dirty, with a tube screamer or something. Basic stuff. Rock n Roll. That's why I was looking to simplify my keys rig live - playing a midi controller with my rack is a pain in the ass...takes awhile to set up and tear down, especially given that I have a guitar rig to set up and tear down too. So being the un-ambitious-&ss that I am with MIDI and electronics, I was thinking of just finding something similar to my Rack that wouldn't take me long to master. I haven't done a ton of programming in my Rack, so if I can move patches selectively from it to a Studio (for eg), that would be ideal.

I'd rather spend my time playing than programming - not a knock on ANYONE that likes programming (it's an art unto itself) - I just don't have much patience for it. I'm chipping away at it and definitely need to improve, but like I said...give me a piano and an acoustic guitar and I'm happier than a pig in sh&t. Smile
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not think from the information you gave that you currently have ANY Korg EXB expansions in your Triton rack. Because if you do, and you would want complete compatibility with a live board, I agree with BB, you'd have to get the Studio and either constantly swap all the expansions or buy them double.

If you don't, as I supposed, then the Extreme clearly wins on all fronts. And yes, you can program patches on the Rack, and port them directly to the Extreme, quite easily. Not vice-versa, 'cause the Extreme has quite a few more samples in it.
But you could still program your combis at home on the rack and then put them on a USB stick and into the Extreme. Let us know which one you go for and we can give you directions on how to do this!
SkinnyD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did install a Piano expansion into the Rack, but that's it. And for the shows I do, I don't need the pianos to be THAT kick-ass. I have fooled studio engineers though...some of the samples are that good (as you know).

At this point I'll take another look at the Studio...the dude with the Extreme isn't calling back so he may have sold it. If the factory pre's are close to what I've got in the Rack I'll probably just pick that up. And if not, well, I've got other controllers I can use with the Rack til I find something acceptable.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piano expansion is actually in the Extreme in full, so no issues there.
But I guess availability is a good factor to consider too Wink
The Studio is definitely a well put-together instrument. Less plasticky.
tmatos75

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Triton Rack vs Studio or Extreme Reply with quote

SkinnyD wrote:
I'm a layman when it comes to synths...would much rather play acoustically for the most part, but bought a Triton Rack a few years ago in a clearout and have been extremely happy with it.

I've been running it with a cheap Behringer controller which just bit the dust, and there is a used Studio and a used Extreme in my area, so I'm thinking of simplifying my live rig and just playing one of those, keeping the Rack at home for recording. Could anyone tell me which of them would be closest to the Rack in terms of patches? I took a quick look at the Studio (it's at a pawn shop) and it looks like there's less in there than what's in my Rack. Haven't gone to see the Extreme yet.

Also wondering what I should be offering price-wise...used electronics can be a funny business.

Any info at all would be appreciated! Smile

Go with the Extreme. I've owned both the Rack and the Extreme. The Extreme sound was better by far. It has some waveforms that the Rack doesnt. I loved the organ sounds that the extreme produced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: