Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good GEs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Good GEs Reply with quote

There are many, many, many GEs in this machine. I tend to find a lot aren't very useful in modern or fresh music, or are generally just a little too crazy off the bat to seem useful. (I want a nice straight bassline, with breaks in it, not yoyoing 16th triplets. But I don't want the same note repeated over and over either)

I'm interested in more melodic GE's that could be used to piece together modern pop/dance/rock music.

But my idea here is that it would be great to have a thread about GEs you find or think are useful that are in the factory or widely available for free (e.g. the EXB04 expansion GEs) libraries.
What do you like to use?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see some the Drum Track data from the M3/M50 translated into GE's for Karma or even released as "user" arps for the Tritons.

There are some tasty jazz and latin beats and even some straightforward rock things on the m-series that are just plain nonexistent on my Tritons. I hacked the arp section of my Classic heavily putting on beats from every EXB, but it is still very techno-tronica-dance heavy.

And I agree, Karma is sometimes a little too "look, Ma, no hands"... and/or maybe "too many notes, Herr Mozart"?

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Bendor666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best if it was like in the Roland Fantom-X, which I used to have, that you could write Ur arp patterns urself! They give u a few hundreds of patterns there like in a descent Korg, but they let u draw up phrases of ur own up to 32 steps, and polyphonic of course. In my Karma I don't think I even want to use the built in patterns, it's not my musical creation and not my style of composing.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've actually missing the point then..

If you're working on songs then you can create your own patterns in the sequencer - but they're not interactive. On other korgs you have the polyphonic arpeggiator which is also only marginally more interactive than a static pattern.

KARMA is like working with other musicians - it's not exactly "someone else's" idea, and two people can still use the same 'patterns' and create entirely different songs. That's because they're not really patterns as such. They're like initial templates that tell the module what kind of direction to go in - you have many parameters you can control to change that, but you don't have to write all of the notes yourself. Just like when working with a bassist, drummer, etc, you can't be expected to tell them exactly every note to play on every instrument, usually.

With the software you can also create your own GEs and be more specific, but I haven't gotten into that just yet.

With a lot more 'generic' patterns it also seems to be great for improvising live for example in electronic music, it's a pretty neat idea to be turning a knob (or moving any of a variety of other controls) to be actually changing the musical content of the song rather than just the sound (e.g. as opposed to jamming on the filter cutoff knob on the same patterns for hours on end)
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: