Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A kit for the WD!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: A kit for the WD! Reply with quote

Well I have ordered my first ever new kit. DW Collectors Series lime green to emerald fade with chrome hardware! Six piece, no snare so far. I have been playing with bits and pieces mostly snares and cymbals and the WD for a few years. Excited to say the least but now the wait. I am told it will be late May. I did not order a matching snare but wonder should I have? I have a cheap pdp 10inch snare and w Brass pearl piccolo. I love the piccolo but wonder if it wouldn't be wist to sell something else and order the snare also. I have a few weeks in which I can still add it if I so desire. Anyone have any advice for that?

I will start a new thread with the recording question. I had it here but thought that it might make more sense on it's own. So any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks Bertotti
Kaden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your pic as an auxiliary snare and get something in the 14"x5" range to use as a main.

...unless you're playing funk, in which case a piccolo is just fine for getting your Garibaldi on.

In terms of main snares, you can never go wrong with a Ludwig 400. I've played a ton of snares over the years, and the 400 is still the most sensitive and versatile ever.

Oddly enough, the only DW snare I've ever owned was a 14x6" brass Collector series, and the build quality was atrocious.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kaden! I heard the DW kit at my mom and pop and although I loved the Gretsch the DW was better and I have a better chance of matching add on's down the road with tone and color, so many more options! I've been thinking on bigger snares and my thoughts are parred to your comments. I will see what I can sell and get a bigger snare. I'm tossed up on maple or brass. Of I add the DW maple they will tone match the shell to the kit so it sits better with it. Snares are so interchangeable I can't see that being a huge issue but color matching would be good as long as their maples are worthy! The one at the mom and pop is good to me. I am partial to brass though.

Last edited by Bertotti on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy for versatility, and no other reason. It'll save you money in the long run.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aybe this sounds weird but I would like a set of three or four snares that would really work well together. I may hold off for a bit until I make enough more to do that. I'll just have to so patient. I can do that it took me years to get to a kit! Thanks for the help! Bertotti

You know the hardest part for now will be setting it up. Currently I like the WD set a bit higher and above the two snares with the 13" piccolo on the bottom right and the pdp 10" bottom left. Obviously since that is all I have it isn't a problem but incorporating it into a kit may prove frustrating. I know I don't want it way off to my left and would like to keep both snares in the mix as well. I have never had so many drums to work with! Is it odd to want at least three different snares maybe four someday in a kit? Will having some toms change that desire? No clue I guess I'll have to wait and see. All I know is the WD has to be in front of my normal sitting area and slightly above the snare, best case scenario.
Kaden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than 2 snares is pretty uncommon. The ergonomics are mostly unworkable, and realistically, you should be able to pull enough different timbres out of your main snare just through technique to make more than a 14 and a pic a waste of space.

What kinda music do you play that would require so many snares?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I have no drum training of any sort. I like the different sounds from those drum line guys with three and four drums so I figured why not add that many to a kit at some point! Seemed like a cool idea at the time! I had no idea technigue would draw so many timbres from one or two snares. I need to find some other books to run through, apparently. I am working through stick control now but I am only a couple pages in and need to start over with a metronome to make sure my timing is staying accurate. I'm an old dog (46) just trying to learn something new! I travel so much instructors won't touch me so I turn to you guys for guidance and I really appreciate your insights! Thanks! Very Happy
Bertotti
Kaden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quints and quads you see drumline guys walking around wearing are actually melodically tuned single headed toms; if you're looking for that kinda sound you woulda loved the '70's... world + dog marketed kits with 8 concert toms.

They were righteous pains in the ass to transport around.

Between the weight of the stroke and the location of the hit, drums in general are capable of a huge range of timbres... YouTube up some Buddy Rich performances if you want to see a guy effortlessly wring a buncha tones out of a 5 piece.

When you're doing the Stone book, be sure you're tapping your left foot in time with the metronome... you'll be doing that a *lot* on the hihat pedal when you're playing a full kit, so ya might as well get that worked into your independence as soon as possible.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea I remember watching the Drum lines in the 70's! I wish I could have know my grandpa he was a professional drummer for big bands. Whenever one of the big bands hit Chicago or somewhere in Illinois their drummer would take vacation and he would fill in, sadly he died when I was 6 months old. Anywho I do like me some snare! I'll be sure to do the tapping but I do have a set of hats so I may throw them in. Thanks again Very Happy Bertotti
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: