Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you like to see images of OpenStudioLive?see3D images
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys (and gals Wink) for all your great support and comments...

Yes it is all proceeding quite well at present. The final software bundle decisions are being made by Rob and the team and we hope to have a final list available soon. I have posted some new (well, amended) info at the company website, plus one of James' terrific modelling pics.

Rob has also been busy in the UK, not only organising the investor funding, but he also managed to spend a day at the PCB manufacturing company to finalise the tooling and designs for all the proprietary PCB's that are part of the OSL Rack.

These could be available in a matter of weeks, and once in hand Rob can construct the first FULLY operational rack unit, with lots of lovely pics Applause

As soon as the final software decisions are made, I will upload some screenshots of the various apps in action, and also organise a video and audio demo of same...Won't be much, as James Cameron, I am NOT!!!!!

But they should give more of an idea.....

Okay gang that's about all for now...more when I have it Smile

Cheers,
Dennis
fjs714

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: open studio live Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Any news at all about the release date on this great module?
Thanks Frank
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Frank, but I can't give you a definite release date better than 3Q 2012. What I can give is some more information about how the prototype systems are shaping up.

We recently switched processors and motherboards in the product. We are now using Intel i5-2500T quad core 45W processors and the Asus P8-Z68-M socket 1155 motherboard. We made this change because we were informed that the Athlon low energy triple core processors are going end of life this year and AMD seem to be abandoning the "energy efficient" market for compact computers. By switching to a motherboard using the Z68 chipset, our customers can upgrade to the new "Ivy Bridge" i5-3570T 45W processor at a later date when it comes off the new Intel production line. We will provide two prices for shipping - i.e. with either the i5-2500T (available now) or with the i5-3570T (at extra cost for the foreseeable future).

We have our first prototype cabinets assembled - with PSU, optical drive, HDD, and motherboards, and we are waiting for our proprietary PCB's to come off the production line so we can connect up our audio subsystem and the front panel controller which is a MIDI-USB peripheral as far as the rest of the system is concerned.

The pricing will be split out in a shopping cart as follows:
    a) The Open Studio Live hardware with Windows 7 Home
    b) An add-on dual Firewire interface option
    c) Various RAM options up to 32 Gbytes
    d) Our custom designed 17inch touch screen display
    e) Various optional "software & audio bundles"
The first "software & audio bundle" is likely to contain:
    Sonar X1 Studio 64 bit, pre-installed and configured
    Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II synth, pre-installed
    A sampler and top quality sample library
    Template MIDI set-ups for Studiologic and Akai controllers
While discussing fund raising with potential future shareholders in London last month, a couple of people said they would prefer to see a white cabinet with black lettering instead of the black cabinet with white lettering. Let me ask the question, what color scheme (white lettering on black / black lettering on white) would forum members prefer to see?

Thanks,
Rob
AFG Music

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about lettering;

white lettering on black case Smile = ok

silver - aluminium on black case Idea = the best (maybe i am wrong)

black lettering on white Exclamation = not everyone like this (maybe i am wrong)
fjs714

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: color Reply with quote

Hi,

Actually, I thought it looked very nice the way it was. However, if you must change it-----Silver on Black
Thanks Frank
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:

We recently switched processors and motherboards in the product. We are now using Intel i5-2500T quad core 45W processors and the Asus P8-Z68-M socket 1155 motherboard. We made this change because we were informed that the Athlon low energy triple core processors are going end of life this year and AMD seem to be abandoning the "energy efficient" market for compact computers. By switching to a motherboard using the Z68 chipset, our customers can upgrade to the new "Ivy Bridge" i5-3570T 45W processor at a later date when it comes off the new Intel production line. We will provide two prices for shipping - i.e. with either the i5-2500T (available now) or with the i5-3570T (at extra cost for the foreseeable future).

... exactly what I said you should do back in January Smile Actually, I'm happy for you, just wanted to say... *GRINNNN* Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile Smile Now OSL will have enough power.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
... exactly what I said you should do back in January Smile Actually, I'm happy for you, just wanted to say... *GRINNNN* Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile Smile Now OSL will have enough power.

Hi vEddy,

Your input was very helpful thank you. It was an influencing factor. When we learned the selected triple core AMD processors are going EOL then the decision to switch to Intel was inevitable. Unfortunately this adds about 150 GBP to the price compared with the earlier spec. Maybe people won't mind the price because the processor throughput will be significantly higher and the system will now support up to 32 GB RAM. The earlier design had an upper limit of 16 GB.

Of course it is now significantly more powerful than any MacBook Pro.

Does this mean you will be interested to buy one ? Smile

Best regards,
Rob
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web site is now updated with the specification change and the latest images.

http://openstudiolive.com

Is anyone having difficulty joining the user forum? Let me know if you encounter problems?
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Sherratt wrote:
vEddY wrote:

Hi vEddy,
Your input was very helpful thank you. It was an influencing factor. When we learned the selected triple core AMD processors are going EOL then the decision to switch to Intel was inevitable. Unfortunately this adds about 150 GBP to the price compared with the earlier spec. Maybe people won't mind the price because the processor throughput will be significantly higher and the system will now support up to 32 GB RAM. The earlier design had an upper limit of 16 GB.
Does this mean you will be interested to buy one ? Smile
Rob

Hey Rob,

Always glad to help, I was ... happy to see the move to the new platform Smile It was a rejoice-post Smile

I think that now you've hit kind of sweet-spot with OSL as it will be powerful enough to do almost anything in terms of VST's. I would actually like to try it out when it's available, review it, and - if everything works as advertised, I would seriously consider buying it. Now it's much closer to what I'd like to have in terms of CPU power.

What's your take on hardware upgrade policy, btw? Does plugging in a SSD void warranty?
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
Hey Rob,

Always glad to help, I was ... happy to see the move to the new platform Smile It was a rejoice-post Smile

I think that now you've hit kind of sweet-spot with OSL as it will be powerful enough to do almost anything in terms of VST's. I would actually like to try it out when it's available, review it, and - if everything works as advertised, I would seriously consider buying it. Now it's much closer to what I'd like to have in terms of CPU power.

What's your take on hardware upgrade policy, btw? Does plugging in a SSD void warranty?

Hi vEddY,

There are two external USB3 ports. Plugging in an external SSD to one of the USB3 ports will not invalidate warranty. Nor will plugging in any external drive e.g. pen drives, external HDD etc.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-enyo-usb-3-0-portable-solid-state-drive.html

Also there is now an internal bracket for installing up to two USB2 internal pen drives or security "dongles", a supported user-install option.

If you want to change the processor, plug extra RAM devices in or change the internal HDD for an internal SSD then there are three options:
    a) Get us to install and test them at the time of purchase, in which case they are warrantied.
    b) Fit them yourself but invalidate the warranty.
    c) Wait 'till the warranty expires, then fit them yourself.

Although SSD's are much faster than HDD's, there is a reliability issue. SSD memory cells typically fail after 100,000 writes to the same location (resulting in capacity falling off with time, since the SSD controller maps the bad sectors out). You don't notice this for the first few months since there are between 10% and 20% un-allocated sectors that are used up first. But after that, an SSD can become rapidly unusable because its capacity shrinks with time especially if it is used as a system swap-file disk.

For that reason, we don't recommend exchanging the internal HDD for an SSD in which e.g. Windows swap files, registry, and TMP directory are on the SSD since these will cause premature ageing of the SSD. So we will only supply a system with both an SSD and a HDD, in which Windows and application software load from the SSD, but where Windows swap files, registry, and TMP directory are relocated (by us at install time) to be placed on the HDD.

We will be sending units for review by the mainstream music press, they will choose their technical authors. There will be a 30 day money back offer (less cost of postage) if a customer decides not to keep the unit after purchasing it.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m moving this thread to the General Music section as it’s been running 3 + months now and always sitting at the top of the “Latest News” section of the forum.

It's not normal for any thread to run that long in this part of the forum, and that doesn't fit with the "Latest News" section. Where in the General Music section it can run as normal forever if need be.

Regards
Sharp.
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick message to say I have now quit from the OSL project...So if folks could now not send me emails for messages, and refer all questions to Rob, that would be appreciated Smile

Thanks
Dennis
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this?
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nedim, things are in progress, please contact me directly if you want an update.
Leo Lauscher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,

for years now, i´m looking for a system to take my VSt´s on stage.
But i have found nothing i like.
Also your system has some disadvantages.

1. 3 more cable on stage to connect the monitor ( power/usb/vga)
2. 17 inch is to big for stage. I only want to change my sounds
3. to use a style player with TouchMonitor is not comfortable
4. The price

But I'll be watching what happens next with your system.
Maybe something else happened.

Best regards
Leo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: