Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought the Karma Editor - plus...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
miden wrote:
Not directed at you Cello at all, and there was certainly NO disrespect meant. ...it was directed more at the last two posters, who instead of encouragement load negativity into the post...maybe they meant well, but the syntax left a bit to be desired...

No worries mate - am sure no-one who has posted here meant anything negative as such; just trying to be real (in my reading of it anyway).

It would be bad if we said the editor was a walk in the park - because it's not! It takes time (more time than I've been able to give it to be honest).

I see the Karma editor a bit like a piano - it is monumentally complex to play until you learn it, at which point it becomes easy. How long it takes to learn it is directly proportional to the amount of time invested.

And you got a reply from the man himself! - that's pretty cool Smile

Cool, thanks Cello for understanding - yeah it was pretty nice to hear from SK Smile
Sparker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miden:
I have both KARMA Kronos 2.5 and KARMA Triton 1.00 software.
The Kronos KARMA software (IMO) is much easier to use than the Triton KARMA software but still no walk in the park.

Yes. SK does give extensive and thorough documentation for his software packages, however I can't say I found them particularly 'easy' to understand and suspect that others don't either otherwise the tutorials and reference documents found on the KARMA-Lab wiki would be redundant. Wink

For what you want to do I'd suggest using the RPPR function as described on page 106 of the Kronos Operation Guide.

PS. I see several replies have been posted since I started to compose my reply. Miden - I wasn't trying to appear 'all-knowing' or negative in any way. I was merely agreeing with Basaristudios' assertion that KARMA is, in my admittedly limited experience, an extremely complex and detailed piece of software.

Line 6 Flextone XL / Line 6 POD XT / Roland V Bass / Ampeg Portabass & Cab / Assorted Guitars (no whammy bar) ... and a Fender Champ ...
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparker wrote:
Miden:
I have both KARMA Kronos 2.5 and KARMA Triton 1.00 software.
The Kronos KARMA software (IMO) is much easier to use than the Triton KARMA software but still no walk in the park.

Yes. SK does give extensive and thorough documentation for his software packages, however I can't say I found them particularly 'easy' to understand and suspect that others don't either otherwise the tutorials and reference documents found on the KARMA-Lab wiki would be redundant. Wink

For what you want to do I'd suggest using the RPPR function as described on page 106 of the Kronos Operation Guide.

With respect Sparker I never said it was easy anywhere in my posts.. I said most editors are logical and follow similar principles, I NEVER said they were easy!!!

I said it is EASIER when applying the manual to one specific task, rather than trying to learn the entire thing in one go, but that was the term -ier, not that it was easy....

Thanks for the heads up on the RPPR and page # of the Kronos guide, but that refers more to Song Mode on the Kronos and not Karma from the look of it. I had already "skimmed" that section and Iw ill give it more detailed analysis when I get to the "deeper" functions of the Song Mode of the Kronos.

At the moment my biggest decision is whether to install KK Editor on my general DAW/Internet PC, or my NON-Internet music only PC...as I really would prefer NOT to pay for it twice Wacky this is an important decision to make....and I only want to install it once and then re-image the drive.

My apologies if previous comments inferred an insult, it was so not intended.
Sparker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miden - You can install it on both machines as the KARMA licence allows for installation on two seperate machines.

You are correct that the RPPR function is found in SEQ mode, however KARMA also runs in SEQ mode. The only limitation is that the key(s) used for RPPR can't be used to input into KARMA (not a problem if you use keys at the bottom or top end of the keyboard (and you don't need them in your composition or to trigger the KARMA modules).

I think you will need to set up two RPPR keys per phrase which you will need to trigger simultaneously, (one for Bass and one for the Drums) if you want two Timbres to play at once. (I haven't tried doing this myself, so I may be wrong here).

PS. The RPPR can be quantized to bring the two keys in simultaneously.

Line 6 Flextone XL / Line 6 POD XT / Roland V Bass / Ampeg Portabass & Cab / Assorted Guitars (no whammy bar) ... and a Fender Champ ...
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparker wrote:
Miden - You can install it on both machines as the KARMA licence allows for installation on two seperate machines.

You are correct that the RPPR function is found in SEQ mode, however KARMA also runs in SEQ mode. The only limitation is that the key(s) used for RPPR can't be used to input into KARMA (not a problem if you use keys at the bottom or top end of the keyboard (and you don't need them in your composition or to trigger the KARMA modules).

I think you will need to set up two RPPR keys per phrase which you will need to trigger simultaneously, (one for Bass and one for the Drums) if you want two Timbres to play at once. (I haven't tried doing this myself, so I may be wrong here).

PS. The RPPR can be quantized to bring the two keys in simultaneously.

Ahh cool thanks for that info re licencing...that's one out of the way!!

I can see what you are saying about keys, but my personal pref is to NOT use the keybed in any way other than to play notes Smile maybe use velocity sensing occasionally, but that is about the limit...

I want to really set it all up within Karma Scenes (or in Karma generally really) if I can.....I do want separation of tasking on the K. Then use the Setlist to bring it all together for the gig (much the same as the Songbook on the PA series), and then ultimately all controlled from my iPad software, using the CC commands to select Setlist entries.

D
Sparker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my personal pref is to NOT use the keybed in any way other than to play notes

That makes sense, especially so if like me you have a 61.

If you have an external midi controller that can can send note data (either from a keyboard or a pad) then you could set the RPPR to the C0-C1 range and then trigger it externally without using any of the keys on the keyboard Idea

miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparker wrote:
Quote:
my personal pref is to NOT use the keybed in any way other than to play notes

That makes sense, especially so if like me you have a 61.

If you have an external midi controller that can can send note data (either from a keyboard or a pad) then you could set the RPPR to the C0-C1 range and then trigger it externally without using any of the keys on the keyboard Idea

Yes that would be a good idea I agree. I have just bought the NanoKontrol 2 which should be here in a few days, so I can experiment with that.

TBH, I am still getting my "headspace" around the Kronos hardware and OS, and figuring out the little foibles and shortcuts, what you can and cannot do with the hardware controls and exploring all the menus and pathways!!

I am coming from over a decade of using Korg Italy OS systems!! Which although quite similar are remarkably different in so many ways Shocked
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen, you trying to embarass me now??? LOL
and Dennis, yes, i stand behind every word i said before...from experience,
quiet a few years and actually quiet deep, waaaaayyy beyond importing
and tweaking.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miden wrote:
I said most editors are logical and follow similar principles, I NEVER said they were easy!!!

And trust me, there is NOTHING Logical about this Editor at all, Logics dont
work here, only brains and experience, no common sense and no logic.
Its not Cubase and its not Ableton Live and i am not nor did i discourage you
but i have the habit of kinda use a little harder words when it comes to the
KARMA editor, it is not really something for any Mortal...as you will taste it your self.
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
miden wrote:
I said most editors are logical and follow similar principles, I NEVER said they were easy!!!

Its not Cubase and its not Ableton Live and i am not nor did i discourage you
but i have the habit of kinda use a little harder words when it comes to the
KARMA editor, it is not really something for any Mortal...as you will taste it your self.

Have to agree with this, I've found it to be a pretty steep learning curve. Well worth the effort though!
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:

While I would be the first to suggest that learning about how KARMA *really* functions "under the hood" is not a simple thing, I would have to take exception to the idea that there's no "logic" to it. Wink

It's actually quite logical, once you understand how it works. Musical phrases are broken down into their individual "attributes" (Rhythm, Duration, Velocity, Pitch indexes, etc.) and you have independent control over each attribute.

Gaining that "understanding of how it works" is the difficult part. Wink

The problem, more or less, is that it doesn't resemble anything else you may have worked with before. There's nothing to compare it to, no "common ground" with any other music editing system. It's a completely different "paradigm", and so, being an expert at sequencing or using a DAW doesn't really help. About the closest thing it compares to is some step sequencers, but in KARMA you have individual step sequencers for each attribute, with additional parameters, that don't necessarily line up with each other unless you tell them to line up with each other.

It would help if I could ever get around to my "dream" of providing video tutorials for each page of the GE Editor, for example - maybe someday.

keyplayer14 wrote:
Have to agree with this, I've found it to be a pretty steep learning curve. Well worth the effort though!

Thanks for that. Wink

jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought if - instead of even more detailed video instructions mirroring the complexity - it would be possible to implement some "assistant" procedures into the software, leading you step by step through some fundamental category setups from "classic arpeggio" over "guitar strumming" to some other complex KARMA scenes.

Excuse my simplicistic approach, but from my view as potential user it would be much more inviting, if I knew I could get some basic things done fast that way, instead of having to work my way into a "mutidimensional step sequencer" right away.

The key issue for me is not so much that I have to work my way into something new - I did that for the Kronos OS basics within some weeks and am always curious and ready for something interesting - but rather, that I am chronically short of time for musical projects besides my main profession, and that the time for the technological aspects of music making just has to be limited, to get to the main purpose of really playing and recording. And Karma looks at the same time rewarding, and intimidating and time consuming right from the start to me.
Sparker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's logic Jim, just not as we know it." - Nimoy winks at Urhura.

Yep, it's that step up from old school, two valued, Aristotlian logic (true/false - And/Or - If/Then) to Frege's second order predicate logic (Some/All - If and Only Iff - and 'What the hell is that virtual parameter controlling'?).

The KARMA programming structure makes perfect logical sense - my problem is that ol' intuitive side of my brain that goes round in curly spirals with nary a straight line thought in sight. Wink

BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparker wrote:
"It's logic Dennis, just not as we know it."

Stephen...i think this would make more sense on my statement, never said better then this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: