Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goblet Mount Design for Wavedrum / Wavedrum Oriental

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeggeR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Goblet Mount Design for Wavedrum / Wavedrum Oriental Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows if a third party makes a custom mount for the wavedrum? I had played with the wavedrum when it was first released and was impressed, but passed on it because of the sensitivity limitations. Now I see that there is an oriental version that is specifically redesigned to resemble hand drums. I have been playing doumbek for years and I would purchase one online right now after watching video demos of the product on youtube. But the design of the drum doesnt not fit my playing style, (underarm or between legs) so I was wondering if anyone knows of a third party device or modification that can convert the wavedrum into a goblet mount, similar to a typical middle eastern doumbek?

If anyone has the time and a camera handy would you mind taking some pictures of the bottom of your wavedrum, I would like to get an idea of how it will be mounted if I have to go about building my own.

Thank you!
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KeggeR

there is probably nobody , who would make that for you ,
so its a DIY job. Interesting...
I can help you...
the easiest and cheapest way would be "external triggering" :
did you read this already ?
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64487&sid=56919a916d32904e4f66e838f362a5a0

please post a pic or 2/3 of your doumbek
with the skin and the rim removed as far as possible....
so for me = Idea

with external triggering you can use a real Doumbek
1 or (better) 2 piezos connected to the Doumbek
+ a pressure sensor built into the Doumbek,
(= not expensive , needs some improvisation)

and now, with the help of a 5 pole connector
(recommended XLR or mini XLR)
connect to the Oriental WD and play the WD with the Doumbek

you have 1 cable running from the Doumbek to the WD

btw : get the Oriental anyway ....
you will love it .
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Goblet Mount Design for Wavedrum / Wavedrum Oriental Reply with quote

KeggeR wrote:
If anyone has the time and a camera handy would you mind taking some pictures of the bottom of your wavedrum, I would like to get an idea of how it will be mounted if I have to go about building my own.

Here's a good bottom pic from this site
http://edrumming.blogspot.com/

Although the top rim is aluminum and fairly stable, the bottom is just light plastic, so you'd probably have to be careful with just how much force was applied to anything mounted directly to it.

Please let us know how you pursue this and what type solutions work best for you. Others have inquired about the same thing for the very same reasons you state.

Good luck!
KeggeR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey WaveDrummer!

Thank you for the detailed information and response! I think what I will have to do, is fabricate a custom cast using the bottom of the wavedrum as a mold. I think that I would need to do this using a clay cast, which then later I can recast using something like ABS high impact plastic. The style of the goblet is not as important as properly mounting the back of the wave drum, currently I have 9 different styles of middle eastern doumbek's, most of them are in different materials - from tin to bronze.

I think a generic goblet design could be used, but it would have to fit the head surface of the doumek (which would be a little larger than the back of the wavedrum itself). Maybe a since the rest of the goblet is wasted space and serves no real purpose - I was thinking maybe I could fit a power supply source, amp, and speaker into the rest of the body? This sounds like it would be a really cool project! Smile
razzaq1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the 'Alexandria' style of Doumbeks i see advertised on the internet, it seems like some kind of clips could be fitted to the head-bolts so that the WaveDrum is held securely.
I don't know if an alexandria style one is available with the 13" diameter which would be needed.
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope you got some pictures when you are finished
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: