Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording on the new mini KP2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmexio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Recording on the new mini KP2? Reply with quote

OK, here is my question.

I am in need of something to record external audio via line in, and was wondering if the new mini KP2 record-to-SD functionality would be useful for this purpose...

I am quite short on cash, I have the KP2 on my wishlist, and it would set me back quite a while to have to buy something like the TASCAM DR-05 or similar. I am not in Europe or the US, so believe me when I say my options are limited financially, things are expensive here.

So, I was wondering if it would be possible to get a miniKP2, select some kind of filter (for example), open it all the way (to get a clean sound in, with no FX), puting the touchpad on HOLD so it stays on that last setting, and recording the line input away for an hour or so.

It SHOULD be possible based on the little info I'm reading from the somewhat sparse manual posted over at korg.com, but I was wondering if someone could confirm this is actually possible. The manual states that recording would interrupt around the two hour mark, so I'm quite confident the recording functionality is up to the task, what I don't know is if you can get clean audio recorded somehow, and what format it will record to (it states .wav, so I'm guessing no problems uploading to my pc later, and the quality would is surely at least be 16/44.1, but it never hurts to ask...)

Kind of a hack, but would make my life so much happier than having to buy a TASCAM instead of this awesome fun little machine...

Also, would it be possible to record an external little mic cleanly, without any FX, following a similar process?

If it can serve as a basic portable recorder, for both line and mic (separately, no multitrack, no nothing, just a high quality basic recording of one or the other), it would be AWESOME and I would be in line to buy one on day one...

Thanks in advance for any insight! Very Happy

Cheers,
Juan Miguel

PS: I know it is not available yet, but maybe someone at korg can comment, or some lucky soul like JinglesJapan, that has one of the new kaossilators... Wink
JinglesJapan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recording on the new mini KP2? Reply with quote

jmexio wrote:

PS: I know it is not available yet, but maybe someone at korg can comment, or some lucky soul like JinglesJapan, that has one of the new kaossilators... Wink

The Mini KP2 is not available in Japan yet either... Major bummer... Sad

Jingles.
jmexio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Recording on the new mini KP2? Reply with quote

JinglesJapan wrote:

The Mini KP2 is not available in Japan yet either... Major bummer... Sad

Jingles.

That's too bad!! I'll have to wait a little then... Guess I'll get the cheapest recorder I can in the mean time and get the mini KP2 in a few months... Maybe one of those recorders for journalists will do the trick for little money.

Thanks for replying Very Happy

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
axd

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the miniKP2. I don't know much about external mics, but there is only a LINE IN, so there might be an issue with power for some types of mics.

I certainly wouldn't recommend a miniKP2 as a recording device (in fact, tather look at it as a toy).

You would avoid a DR-5 because of its cost... but a miniKP2 is even more expensive! If it is to record audio (and apply some basic filtering to get rid of specific kinds of noise), I like the DR-08 - should be cheaper too.

rgds,

-alex-

See also my http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=476222#476222
tetra, Max49
http://soundcloud.com/axd
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPod Touch is a much better value for recording, plus all the other music apps it can do besides that, like iKaossilator,
jmexio

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I actually bought a tascam dr-07 mkii to cover my immediate needs, and will probably look into the miniKP2 later... And I agree the ipod touch would have been an option... Hopefully, I don't have to decide right now, no money Very Happy

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: