Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tensioning (tuning) the drumhead. All you need to know!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Tensioning (tuning) the drumhead. All you need to know! Reply with quote

OK folks,

I really think this one needs a topic all to itself. So here we go...

There is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding regarding the "tuning" issues when it comes to the head on the Wavedrum. I can only share my own experience from having worked with dozens of different Wavedrums around the country, and from my decades of experience in drum retail and as a lifelong drummer myself.

I will direct this towards drummers, non-drummers, Wavedrum owners and non-owners alike. If some of this sounds overly obvious, it is only because my intention is to inform as large a group as possible.

First off:
Forget about any notions of actually "tuning" the drumhead in any conventional sense. Due to the fact that there is a transducer pressing up underneath the front edge of the head (which is why the logo section of the Wavedrum is located where it is: it offers protection to the tranducer) and the fact that there is a large pressure sensor located underneath the center of the drumhead, there is no actual resonance to the head like a real drum would have. There is no acoustical tone or pitch to the head like an acoustic instrument would generate.
It is much like the sound of hitting a Remo practice pad or any other pad that involves a real drumhead.

Lower tensions offer more options:
It has been my experience that if the head is tightened too much, you will actually lose some of the dynamic response and sensitivity. This can very clearly be demonstrated with the Tabla Program. If the head is too tight, the pitch-bending that comes from pressing on the head will be greatly reduced. More significantly, the actual tone and resonant sound of the Tabla will be reduced if the head is too tight. It will sound as if the Tabla itself were a bit muffled or "choked."

What is too tight?
As drummers, our first instinct, if a drum doesn't sound or feel the way we expect to, is to tighten the drum head. This might be effective with a real snare drum, but the Wavedrum needs to be looked at as a separate instrument in a category all its own.

For one thing, no matter how much one tightens the head on a Wavedrum, it is never going to feel like a conventional drum (snare or tom). It will never have a tight or bouncy feel like one might expect from a real drum--and you wouldn't want it to (more on that later).
Again, the underlying sensors, alone, would prevent the head from ever actually feeling "bouncy."

Plus, the head will only go down so far before "bottoming out" or reaching a point where you can't tighten it anymore. Also keep in mind that it only has five tension rods. Most 10" snare drums have 6 tuning points and most 14" snares have 8 to 10. My point is that with only five, only so much torque can be delivered to the head and rim.

As far as any damage to the sensors due to over-tightening, personally I haven't found that to be possible. But I suppose anything is possible. As stated above, the head is only going to get "so" tight anyway.

So how SHOULD one adjust the head?
Great question!
As I have stated, I find that a lower tension will make the Wavedrum a more responsive and expressive instrument to work with. If you start with a new head and loosen the tension rods just to the point of almost rattling (or what drummers often refer to as "finger tight"), you can then proceed to gently tighten each tension rod by 1/4 or 1/2 turns, working your way around the drum in whatever way is easiest. There is simply no need to apply any criss-cross method to this. It is just not necessary. Trust me. Again, the uneven pressure of having a transducer under the head will negate any attempts of getting the head "in tune" or perfectly even all the way around anyway. But that's OK. It just doesn't matter.

After a few (perhaps 4 to 6) times around you should begin to feel a natural resistance to the drumkey. Again 1/4 to 1/2 turns of the key should more than suffice. If you really want to check consistency, flip the Wavedrum over and you will be able to see just how many threads of each tension rod have passed through the nut that holds them in place! Just don't obsess over this. It's not healthy. Wink

After a moderate amount of tension has been achieved, you should be good to go. It is normal, depending on your playing style, for just one or two tension rods to come loose from playing. If this happens, just give those tension rods a few turns and get back to having fun! Of course if the head is too lose, to the point that tension rods are rattling around etc, that could have a detrimental effect on the performance as well. So just use common sense.

When to replace the head?
It is usually time to replace the head when visual wear seems to be excessive. As mentioned in one of the other threads, the head that the Wavedrum ships with (with the exception of Black) will probably be the least durable head you will encounter. Almost any replacement head will last longer. Don't worry too much about this as drumheads are still fairly affordable. It's just the nature of that particular head.

I have come across Wavedrums in stores with heads that were so badly pummeled, from countless customer workouts, that the overall response of the Wavedrum was severely reduced. If the use of brushes, or light taps to the head, ceases to be as effective over time compared to when it was new, you might be ready for a head change.

What is the perfect tension?
Easy. There isn't one! Think about this. The Wavedrum is designed to simulate everything from snare drums, to congas, to steel drums, to timpani, to tabla, to galactic explosions and everything in between! No one, singular tension or adjustment is going to cover all those different playing experiences or accurately reproduce the "feel" of both a hard metallic surface and a soft skin head at the turn of a dial. So don't think of the Wavedrum as a simple a collection of all those other instruments. It is not. It is its own instrument. In a word, it is a Wavedrum! And that's what makes it so incredibly cool, and the experience of playing one so amazingly exhilirating! And that is what makes us, as "Wavedrummers" to be the adventurous explorers of a new and uncharted domain in search of sounds and textures unlike any ever before available--all in one, glorious instrument. It is a Wavedrum!

Final thoughts:
Keep this in mind if you are worried about getting the "right" tension on the head, in terms of performance. For the 2011 winter NAMM show, the Wavedrum Oriental that I used was straight out of the box and not once did I make a single adjustment to the Wavedrum in any way, or tune the head at all. I did demonstrations for eight hours straight; three days in a row; over and over and over and over and over again. It never failed me once. All the videos you see from that show will testify to that. It performed perfectly...right out of the box!

To futher that point:
I have traveled all over the U.S. doing Wavedrum demonstrations for various dealers. At each stop, the only thing I have ever had to do, was to re-apply a little tension to the head as described as above, or sometimes back the tension off if the head had been over-enthusiastically tightened! (In those rare instances when the head had already been pummeled, I simply replaced the head entirely). Never once was it necessary to make any adjustments to the transducer sensitivity or pressure sensor height. That's just my experience.

With that in mind. Although the owners manual recommends recalibrating the Wavedrum after changing heads, personally, I have yet to find that to be necessary. Maybe that's just me. But again, I've literally played on dozens of different Wavedrums, and often for hours-on-end without any issues arising.

Here is one of my more thorough demos of the Oriental:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYLWcc_LDeQ

WHEW!
That should pretty much cover it!
Any questions? Very Happy
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this! You have no idea how long and how times I kept trying to start over to get a consistent tone near the edge all the way around. I notice that certain areas on the head with headphones on sound different when played, should I work with this or is there supposed to be a bit more uniformity when listening through head phones. I currently just treat it like a zone system some spots will just be a bit darker or brighter which is just a few more available nuances at the same time.

Of course now I am going to do it again because from your description I bet I have the new Remo a bit tight.
winged EEL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you for this very informative and insightful posting.

It really clears up the confusion for me! Very Happy
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bertotti

Just to clarify:
I never have the Wavedrum even turned on when I'm changing or tuning heads. This is a good idea for a couple of reasons. The transducer underneath the front edge of the head is extremely sensitive. If you were listening to the Wavedrum through speakers or headphones, and you hit that transducer with the head off, it would probably not be very pleasant. You really shouldn't touch that transducer at all!

The "zones" you are referring to are more to do with simply how near or far you are, on the head, from the transducer. For non-owners, there are no "zones" in the traditional way of thinking of that. People will often ask me, "How do you know where the different sounds are?" There is a common misconception that different sounds are "location based." But that is not the case. The transducer reacts more in the way that a microphone does. Playing different areas of the head will be more like playing different areas of a real drum. On a real drum, there will be a natural separation of overtones and various attack characteristics depending on how close you play to the center of the drum or the rim

On the Wavedrum, singular sounds, like a djembe, will respond in much the same way as the real thing. That is the genius of Wavedrum.
On programs that incorporate multiple textures and voices, these sounds are primarily separated by velocity (how hard you are hitting). But there will also be some differences according to how close you play to the center or edge of the Wavedrum. Not because these sounds are assigned to specific "zones" or locations, but because the head itself is reacting differently depending on where it is hit. A different reaction from the head (like you would get from a real acoustic drum) will create a different reaction from the transducer. This is what makes the Wavedrum so realistic.

But back to the original point:
Turn the Wavedrum off when changing and "tuning" the head. Don't focus on how the head "sounds" acoustically. It's just not part of the equation. Transducers can be attached to all sorts of objects and still do their job. The use of a drumhead is as much for familiarity as it is for function. I've performed with transducers attached to pumpkins and triggered a separate sound module. I'm completely serious. You'd be amazed what a fantastic trigger surface a pumpkin is! But a pumpkin embedded into a Wavedrum would be a messy proposition indeed. And replacement drumheads are always in-season! Very Happy

Last edited by WaveDrummer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super, super thread - million thanks for clarifying this! Cool
I have wondered already why tuning of an electronic drum should be necessary. I have to tune my Bösendorfer, my Fender, my Pearl drums - but never my Oasys! Laughing
So it boils down to: finding a tension that gives you an overall good feeling while playing the very different drumsounds on the WD. No tuning is needed and there are no rules - as long as I feel good with the current tension of the head and have sufficient control while playing. Great! Very Happy
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did change the drum head with the power off. I then tried to tune it by the #s then tried to tweak it like a real drum head, acoustically. I did get close but then when On like you said , proximity to transducers made all of that a waste of time. I didn't know any better so I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked, well lets just say, I found out the hard way that a good even and not overly tight head works the best. Now there are a couple days I won't get back. Anyway we live and we learn, hopefully! Laughing
br232

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: just dont agree Reply with quote

i have to chime in here. I just dont agree with wavedrummer and i dont think he is giving sound advice.

i have spent the last few days experimenting with many head tension variations. I have ultimately found that following Korg's instructions on tightening the head to be optimal.
it leaves the head tight, and gives it true drum head snap and bounce, while acheiving maximum dynamic range, sound control and flexibility

the reason wavedrummer has issues with a tighter head is b/c he does not calibrate his head. particularly not calibrating the head tension is simply disastrous on this instrument.

the head tension is a very sensitive setting, and also very easy to adjust. if it is wrong- for example if you tighten the head without recalibrating, you experience all the symptons wavedrummer describes. the drum will essentially be stuck thinking its head is being muted, and pressed, and you will not get the right sounds at all.

further, if you leave the head loose, all the drum sounds will sound like they are being played with a loose head.. yeah this instrument can pick up on that too. amazing. the tablas for example, will sound floppy and loose compared to snappy and tight

using the tabla, or any other drum as an example when testing is a great idea.

dont mean to offend, just trying to help
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: just dont agree Reply with quote

br232 wrote:
...dont mean to offend, just trying to help

No offense taken. Welcome to the forum! It's always good to have different opinions and perspectives. That's one of the great values of any good forum.

Allow me clarify a few of my points though.
As I stated, my perspective is based on having played on many, many different Wavedrums in stores across the country. I have simply often found that many times the drumhead was tightened to a very high tension and this severely limited the response of the instrument. I have also dealt with customers in one-on-one situations where they weren't happy with the way their Wavedrum was responding, and simply by loosing the head to a reasonable tension enabled them to achieve what they were looking for.

I really don't have any personal agenda on the issue but I feel it would be irresponsible of me not to share what my experiences have been in the field. Had I not encountered these same issues repeatedly, I wouldn't be commenting on the matter in the first place. That's what I mean by saying it's really not "personal" to me. It just seems practical.

My main point with not calibrating the head is that I want the end user to be able to get the most of the Wavedrum right out of the box. Of course it is important that they are starting with the correct factory settings to begin with, but if someone instinctively tightens the head as they would with a normal drum, I'm not confident that they are also going to wade the manual to adjust the calibration before they start exploring the various sounds. I want to give everyone a good starting point before they may get frustrated. The other point is that I know that many people will eventually try to endlessly adjust the head parameters without fully realizing the effect that the head tension is having the playability of the Wavedrum.

I will again confidently state that I have very little (if any) faith in the manual when it comes to this issue. The user manual is severely deficient in many, many respects and I don't find anything in those pages to reassure me that they spent a great deal of effort in explaining how to tension the head. Having seen video demos by some of the very same people who actually designed the Wavedrum, I can assure you, they are not accomplished drummers, as brilliant as they may otherwise be. Therefore, I will let my own experiences, as a drummer, dictate how I approach the matter.

As far as tightening the head resulting in "true drum head snap and bounce" I just can't imagine how that would be the case. There is still a pressure sensor pressing directly under the center of the head. Plus, as I have also previously noted, the Wavedrum uses only a 6-lug configuration which will limit how tight the head will go anyway. Even more significant, perhaps, is the fact the the head will only tighten to a certain degree before "bottoming out."

Trust me, I have experimented with tightening the head, and I have encountered plenty of Wavedrums with heads that were tightened quite a bit. Not once, however, did any of those actually feel like what I would consider "true snap and bounce." And I've been in this game for an awfully long time with what I would consider to be very extensive experience — from playing and performing on drumset, percussion, marching percussion, plus many years of drum retail experience. In other words: I have had my hands (and sticks) on a LOT of drums over the years. Smile

All that being said however, one of the most beautiful things about the Wavedrum is the ability to personalize and customize it to one's own needs and find one's own voice with it. I always encourage everyone to fully explore the Wavedrum on their own and to find what works best for them. That is what true creativity is all about!

But when I see very common obstacles popping up over and over again, I think it's important for me to share the solutions that I have found to solve those same problems.

It's a good discussion to have though, so thanks again for contributing.
mauriciomarques

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Tuning Key Reply with quote

Hello,

Please, someone can tell me what´s the tuning key size for WD?

Thanks
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a standard drum key, nothing special. They're available everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: