Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asymmetric sensitivity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k44

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Asymmetric sensitivity Reply with quote

I've got a Wavedrum a couple of days ago and played with this wonderful instrument.
This was awesome, but I wasn't satisfied with its sensitivity.
I play with hands and had to hit very hard at the outer side of the head to get a sound, but still couldn't get appropriate 'tek'/'ka' sounds.
First i adjusted sensitivity settings, then tried to tune the head tension according to WaveDrummer advice ( http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=368917 ) and got somewhat better result, but far from what i wanted.

Then i've got a Remo Diplomat head plastic, installed it, and - wow! - it gave me that bright snappy sound i wanted, very similar to real darbuka or doumbek.
But! That only works for top-right area, in sector between 12 and 4 o'clock :(
It seems that just after the installation the entire external area sounded ok for some time, but not now.
I've tried rotating the plastic, moving it a little, adjusting pressure sensor, but no luck - right-top area sounds good, other parts - almost no sound :(
All this is also strange because there is only one head sensor.
In all cases loosing tension is better.

Can anyone give some suggestions please? I'm a bit frustrated.

(I'm not yet ready to experiments like this http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71344, but it seems worth trying :)
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same issues has come up a few times on the forum. You are correct that there is an increase in sensitivity just to the right of that upper 12:00 region of the head. Of course that is closer to the top head sensor itself, but I've yet to figure out exactly why it is more sensitive on the right side only.

I have mentioned this in regards to playing conga patterns that I often find it easier to rotate the Wavedrum slightly to the right (clockwise) so that I have easier access to the "hot zone."

It makes sense that the diplomat head would provide a brighter tone. The factory head that comes with the Wavedrum is fairly thin as far as Fiberskyn-style heads go, but a regular diplomat will have a bit more "snap."

Btw, which version of the Wavedrum do you have?
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very strange....
you tried everything , so what is left to say ?
warranty ???

I suppose this 12-4 issue happens with all sounds ,
or only with double algo sounds?

1.select the sound P 35 (the reference preset) , use headphones ,
edit 1 : turn all 4 volumes to zero
now you will get the straight trigger-microfone sound
scratch the skin with your finger nails,
it must be the same volume all over the head...

2. open the WD and tap softly on the head piezo
does it work ?

1 and 2 : if not ....????
warranty ?
k44

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I've got silver WD.

What about double-size algorithms that is interesting - they suffer from this sensitivity issue most, single-size programs work a little bit better, and program #35 is probably one that sounds almost equally on entire head perimeter.

When scratching the head with fingernails with levels set to 0, I don't hear anything, but tapping the sensor with zeroed level gives a sound.

Warranty return is difficult in my case, so I gonna try removing the plastic shield and check it that way.
k44

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is it!

I've removed pressure sensor shield and the result is great!
The sound is bright and expressive now (maybe too bright, gonna check native WD head again :), instrument is very sensitive, i even had to increase global sensitivity thresholds, things like finger rolls work now :)
Sound on perimeter is just a very little uneven, but it is probably just me tuned the head tension not very precisely.

It's a bit sorry to lose pressure sensor features, but this way is much much better for me.
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear , that it is better now

I could imagine , that your head sensor is not OK.
either electric damage , or
bad connection to the mainboard . or

--> the head does not have a good contact to the sensor...
you could try one or two (or 3) layers of adhesive tape under the skin,
where the piezo is touching .

to replace the complete sensor would be another suggestion...
I heard that Korg needed 3 months for this repair (in Europe),
so better do it yourself (if you want).

The pressure features , esp. for a hand drummer ,
make about half the fun , so it would be very useful to get that back again.
dampening , pitch up/down + synth effects is what you are loosing.
(no tunable sitar on the rim with P 35 Crying or Very sad )

An external Expression pedal or a hihat controller
could bring these functions back .
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks for the follow-up.

It's difficult to know for sure without seeing your Wavedrum but I don't think there is anything defective with it. As I said previously, the response is NOT even around the head on any of the Wavedrums, it's just part of the design.

It would be a shame to give up the pressure sensor features though. I suppose it really depends on how your using the Wavedrum and how many different sounds you need to get out of it.

I have to wonder if maybe a smaller, modified pressure sensor shield would work for you. Something that made less contact with head but still allowed you to access the pitch-bending features, etc.

Keep experimenting!
MidiSaron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterDrum wrote:
edit 1 : turn all 4 volumes to zero
now you will get the straight trigger-microfone sound

As it appears to me, the trigger sounds are routed directly to the output only via the effects. If you turn all four levels to 0 and turn the balance of both reverb and delay down to 0 you don't hear anything. If you then increase one of the balance parameters (delay time has to be nonzero), you'll hear the FX'd version of the trigger sound.
It's amazing how different these can sound depending on playing technique. Huge difference for instance if you hit the rim with the tip or the shoulder of a drumstick; more so if you tap it with a finger.

I tend to believe this is a feature and not a bug. Mixing a heavily reverberated electronic sound with a dry tapping noise (it's always to be heard acoustically, unless when recording or on a very large stage) would probably sound unnatural.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: