Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV-1 keys not sounding after storing keyboard on end

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saskatchewanobie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: SV-1 keys not sounding after storing keyboard on end Reply with quote

Korg tells me indirectly through the local repair facility that the SV-1 should not be stored on its end. The repair facility says they've never heard of that for a portable keyboard. This problem has not been corrected or addressed in the new black model or the reverse keys model. I'm not sure what the physical problem is, I only know this happens and it's very frustrating.

Click the link for my iPhone movie of the problem:

http://www.studio10webgraphics.com/InternetPosts/korg_keyboard_fault_1765.mov
ClaytonE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the video Sashwanieknobie...whew...what a handle...
Luckelly for me my SV-1 is working well now(see the frozen key thread post shipping) and I love this keyboard now!!!
I haven't stored this keyboard on end yet...but I am glad to know that there is a problem with this. Have you found a solution for this? Do you let the keys warm up or do you have to shake, rattle and roll to get the keys to play?
Very Happy
Argyll57

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: SV-1 keys won't work. Reply with quote

Did your keys come back on their own?
I bought the SV-1 about 18 months ago. I have had no problems to this point, and have gigged with it several times. I did take some time off and for a while it was stored on its end. Set it up again yesterday and several keys won't work.
I just read some posts about shaking the keyboard for stuck keys. Maybe that'll work in my case, but it's not a sign of a high quality product, especially one that is meant to be moved/stored/etc. Great sound, suspect mechanics.
If repairing begins to be a hassle I'll trade for some other model/manufacturer. I can't risk getting to a show with this sort of reliability.
Thanks.
javaj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us Canadian's are a little crazy. So, this is on it's end- but there are no issues if laying on it's back right? I wonder if anyone has opened up the SV-! and posted pictures (hmm, maybe time to look for the service manual). I wonder if there are contacts that are stuck somehow that can be easily fixed.
javaj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

service manual is here.
http://www.jmsmarketing.com/component/rsfiles/download?path=Catalogs%2FKorg-SV-1+service+manual_3.pdf

Looks nice and easy Laughing

Once you dismember all the screw in the proper sequence, you might be able to look at the keybed- but something tells me you may have more issues on the reassembly.

Last edited by javaj on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Argyll57

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: SV-1 toneless keys succumb to physical reasoning Reply with quote

Well, my SV-1 works again.
After leaving it for a day, all but 2 keys were back working. (About 10 were not working at one point).
I lifted the keyboard and dropped it about 6". It was secured to its stand when I did that).
One key worked after that.
The other took about 6 more drops.
Think I like this sort of maintenance? Think again.
It's not just a keyboard. It's an investment.

To Korg:
Fix this malformity.
The instrument has too much going for it to require such a cheesy (not to mention risky) method of repair.
javaj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: SV-1 toneless keys succumb to physical reasoning Reply with quote

Argyll57 wrote:
Well, my SV-1 works again.
After leaving it for a day, all but 2 keys were back working. (About 10 were not working at one point).
I lifted the keyboard and dropped it about 6". It was secured to its stand when I did that).
One key worked after that.
The other took about 6 more drops.
Think I like this sort of maintenance? Think again.
It's not just a keyboard. It's an investment.

To Korg:
Fix this malformity.
The instrument has too much going for it to require such a cheesy (not to mention risky) method of repair.

check out the service manual- all the weight is the keybed- maybe dropping it is not bad (but of course, you always have a chance of breaking a system board- especially if it wasn't assembled in the extact way they tell you to screw it in).
redrobin62

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this forum exists and I'm glad to know the SV-1 has such an unusual quirk. I've never stood it on its side, but if you've done a lot of shows, and you've done load-ins, you know the venues save space by standing keyboards on their sides. Very good to know. Of course, if my keys happen to just stick out of the blue, the prospect of opening it and dropping the keyboard seems risky. It is a fragile looking piece of equipment, so I guess that's expected. Welcomed? Of course not, but expected.
senycz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

month stored in a case, on its back end as all keyboards are stored, I found all the black keys towards the center of the keyboard DEAD! Per the KORG forum link posted for the same issue, it was recommended by a blogger to drop it flat from about 6". On doing this it solved all but two black keys. On elevating the keyboard to 8-10" and dropping it all now work. This is absurd, unless I would like to do an imitation of Pete Townsend only using a keyboard. Per KORG, they are not any help. Per an authorized dealer of course to gain a tech fee provided many excuses over the phone and played dumb to an issue which should have been known.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: