Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Sequencer do you use.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Sequencer do you use.
KORG built in Sequencer.
40%
 40%  [ 44 ]
Other
59%
 59%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 108

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: What Sequencer do you use. Reply with quote

Might be interesting to see what way percentages land on this poll.

Regards
Sharp.

Last edited by Sharp on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What Sequencer do you use. Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

Hey Sharp, is use of a type of sequencer a highly personal choice ?

For me , I adapt to the hardware device, whether its the Extreme, M3M, XS Motif or as of now, the Kronos sequencer. Sort of similar to I am not particular to having a BMW or a Jaguar. I am satisfied with a Honda or a Nissan.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 'all in one box' feature that attracted me to Korg Workstations in the first place, starting with the T3.
Jakker27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Kronos i've been messing about with the on board sequencer.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What Sequencer do you use. Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

Hey Sharp, is use of a type of sequencer a highly personal choice ?

For me , I adapt to the hardware device, whether its the Extreme, M3M, XS Motif or as of now, the Kronos sequencer. Sort of similar to I am not particular to having a BMW or a Jaguar. I am satisfied with a Honda or a Nissan.

I've slightly modified the first option to make more sense of the poll.

Regards
Sharp.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I used a Korg built-in sequencer was 8 years ago. Nothing beats a software sequencer for me.

cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use a sequencer (not often it has to be said) it will be the one on the O - even routing other synths through it; so both audio and midi capabilities.
xp50player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Kronos had a large tilt screen like the O, I would be more tempted to use the seq. Another problem is you end up with a bunch of song files that won't play back on anything else when you switch keyboards.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a day when I did a whole album in the onboard sequencer on the Ensoniq EPS. I used to do a whole lot of work on that little display. The worst was educational versions of classical music with mixed meter and tuplet quantiziations. I have no idea how I survived!

I'm not sure if I got my Mac first or my 01/W pro. But once I got the Mac and put MOTU Performer on it, there was no going back to hardware sequencers. I'd always do the work in Performer and transfer SMFs to the onboard for live use.

I remember in the mid-90s that a studio owner I know told me one day we'd be sequencing audio like MIDI. I thought, "Yeah, right!" But by the early 2000s, I was carrying a laptop MIDI'd to my S80 for live performance and those sequences contained audio and MIDI tracks.

Now, with the Kronos I'm back to full circle. I do the work on my Mac in Digital Performer, transfer the songs to the K and use 1 instrument to play live. Better than the 01/W, I can load all my songs into memory at one time. Very Happy

I was thinking about this the other day when discussing whether to use mono out when playing live. Back in the late 80’s - early 90’s, I was playing stereo live when no one else was. I felt the stereo helped add depth and realism to the sounds. But due to the limited memory and polyphony of the EPS, I was setting up the EPS, the Ensoniq digital piano, an Alesis drum machine, a tone module and an Alesis midiverb. I was so glad when I got the 01/W because I only had to set up one keyboard!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use my ancient Yamaha QX-3 hardware sequencer but I also use the Kronos one. I just depends on how I feel at the time.To me they're both pretty similar but then again I'm not always doing anything all that complex with them. Except for my unfinished prog rock song.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
pressrecord@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akai MPC4000
KorgisKing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1 that came with my Kronos I bought it 4 the all n 1 features Cool

Controllers:Roland Ax-1
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty surprised to see so many people use the on-board sequencer. I know how to work it reasonably well but the most I'd ever do with it is sequence some piano or something. Is there a general aversion against computers by those who use the Korg?
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've voted even though I don't yet own a kronos, hope thats ok.

I do own a triton extreme and M3 hence voted based on those.

I occasionally use the built in sequencer but only for very basic use such as I don't have my PC on, I come up with something that I don't want to forget, hence quickly record it, but I never go as far as needing to edit on it.

My main use is using it for a metronome when practicing piano on my extreme.

I wonder whether most of those that use the Kronos sequencer as their main sequencer have spent a few hours with one of the many computer daws, the PC/mac sequencers are so vastly advanced and easier to edit on a large monitor that using a built in one on one of Korgs synths seems to me a bit like having a Kronos and a cheap Casio home keyboard and prefer using the Casio for its sounds.

Don't mean to patronise when I say that, I can see times when you might be away from your pc and need to edit etc on your workstation, I simply don't see how in a home studio, people would prefer the much more limited editor than what's available for pc's etc.

Still we're all different and all prefer different ways of working which is why to many the editor ( or lack of) is a very big deal, while to others they don't understand what the fuss is about.

Best

Joe

Last edited by Ojustaboo on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: What most of you donīt get. Reply with quote

What most of you donīt get is the fact that this Kronos is a software driven computer and no hardware keyboard! Itīs internal sequencer is a software sequencer.

Itīs not mostly hardwired like my JX-305 internal drum machine sequencer and arpeggiator. Itīs not like a QY-100 or RS7000. Itīs much easier to update and the screen would have been the best computer monitor in town some years ago. This Kronos is a computer not a keyboard. So why should I use two simultaniously? Do you drive your car from the seat of another car at home?

We should not accept to be ripped of.
|'|'||'|'|'||'|'| / Physis Piano H1 / Roland Fantom G6 + ARX-01 & 02 / M3 61 & EXB-Radias & 256 MB / Arturia vCollection 3 / KLC / Minimonsta / Kawai K5000 S + R / Moog Little Phatty Stage II / Novation Ultranova / Roland JX-305 / TE OP-1 / iPad & microKey 25 & iODock. / Yamaha Rm1x & QY100 / Logic 9 & Mainstage |'|'||'|'|'||'|'|
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: