Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Sequencer do you use.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Sequencer do you use.
KORG built in Sequencer.
40%
 40%  [ 44 ]
Other
59%
 59%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 108

jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised seing the results of this poll: I thought everyone is using software sequencers these days for any serious sequencing.

Even for just recording multitrack ideas, the present Kronos sequencer could/should be better (piano roll etc.). Nobody should expect it to be something remotely as powerful as big software sequencers: that's just wishful thinking, not realistic before 2 or 3 workstation generations ahead. But there is a lot of space left for improvement within the present purpose limits.

Anyway, I am just as happy about the priority list, with OS2 before any other possible improvements, as anyone of you should probably be for the moment. Getting such a huge update is nothing to be forgotten within some days, just to ask for the next major improvements, while the R&D team has just release a new entry level keyboard with editor.
tjdeerinck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presonus Studio One 2 Pro. A totally awesome workflow / environment. I have been thru them all from TotalMusic thru ProTools. Studio One hits everything.

~TJ
Matthomas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Kronos Sequencer is fine for most things Reply with quote

I've recorded approximately 60 songs with the built in sequencer on the Kronos.

I typically use Cubase 5 for the past few years as the only way to record
multi track songs. But the Kronos built in recorder is too easy to use when inspired. It used to take a very long time to setup a computer and the software for recording music. By the time Cubase inputs and outputs were configured and things were ready to record, the inspiration would fade.

The Kronos recording abilities are enough to record most material,
LED ramps for the volumes of the tracks would be immensely useful.
And some way to see what note is being edited for mistakes! ie: piano roll

But for the most part the Kronos sequencer is very useful.
I've read about the new Korg and watched the videos of the sequencer.

Korg should really benefit the owners of the Kronos by updating the sequencer to at least function as nicely as the other Korg keyboard(s).

It would be hard to believe that Korg has finished with the Kronos and development. I would assume Korg realizes that current owners will not be back for another Korg if the Kronos is left as it is today with OS 2.2
and the almost finished built in sequencer. All Kronos owners are
patiently waiting for the next upgrade release in hope of some basic improvements, and especially for the built in sequencer that is just a tad shy of completed.

I've owned Synths since 1986, and the Korg Kronos is clearly the best keyboard workstation ever made (in my opinion).

I wrote some of the early music industry software (first programmer for Band-in-a-Box for Windows) and I know how hard it is to produce quality music programs with the right features.

Jambodhi

https://soundcloud.com/jambodhi
Music created with Korg Kronos - Soundtracks, Electronica, Sci Fi Film Score....

Last edited by Matthomas on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I'm pretty surprised to see so many people use the on-board sequencer. I know how to work it reasonably well but the most I'd ever do with it is sequence some piano or something. Is there a general aversion against computers by those who use the Korg?

I can't speak for the rest of us as I certainly would use a computer based sequencer if I had one, but the only computer we have is this old clunker that I use in my wife's office.
Just bought a car so a new computer is a ways off for now.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Sequencer is fine for most things Reply with quote

Matthomas wrote:

LED ramps for the volumes of the tracks would be immensely useful.

I fully agree.

Quote:

Korg should really benefit the owners of the Kronos by updating the sequencer to at least function as nicely as the other Korg keyboard(s).

It would be hard to believe that Korg has finished with the Kronos and development. I would assume Korg realizes that current owners will not be back for another Korg if the Kronos is left as it is today with OS 2.2
and the almost finished built in sequencer. All Kronos owners are
patiently waiting for the next upgrade release in hope of some basic improvements, and especially for the built in sequencer that is just a tad shy of completed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the initial POLL is a bit vague. Sequencing Live? Or acting as a DAW?

Great possibility for sequencing live.
Not a chance to replace a DAW for sequencing.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
jahrome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akai MPC Renaissance...or any available MPC I have at the time.

Kronos sequencer is pretty limiting...and not fun to use...especially when I have to squint to use it.

Please....release a decent Kronos plugin Editor. I haven't used the first one since they day I downloaded it.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I was surprised seing the results of this poll: I thought everyone is using software sequencers these days for any serious sequencing.

It's not surprising because many people who hang out at music forums are amateurs or weekend warriors. They don't do serious sequencing.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

It's not surprising because many people who hang out at music forums are amateurs or weekend warriors. They don't do serious sequencing.

That makes no sense since the poll is almost a 50/50 split.

Regards
Sharp.
CaptLego

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Chriskk wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

That makes no sense since the poll is almost a 50/50 split.

Regards
Sharp.

I didn't vote, because I don't do any serious sequencing. In the past, I've used Cubase for sequencing and recording, and on a couple occasions have used sequences in live performances. I'm glad the Kronos has recording and sequencing capabilities - just in case I need them sometime. I've loaded a sequence into the Kronos, just to try it out, but so far have had no need for sequencing.

It's fair to call me an amateur or weekend warrior, but I think it's wrong to assume a full time professional would need to do serious sequencing. Somehow, Mozart and Bach managed without it. (I suspect they'd have liked it, though)
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptLego wrote:
Somehow, Mozart and Bach managed without it. (I suspect they'd have liked it, though)

Unlike Mozart and Bach, not too many of us have access to a full philharmonic orchestra so that we can hear the creations we penned!
Vokoca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably going to be a really stupid question, but please bear with me - I am a beginner. I will be getting the Kronos soon, and while I will surely want to spend some time with the hardware sequencer, I'd definitely want to rather use it with my DAW instead, if possible. Since I've seen in this topic that some people indeed do this, I wanted to ask, how exactly? What cables do you need and such?

I am buying the Korg mainly because my sound card is rather horrible, and I am lacking any hardware whatsoever, so this workstation seemed like the perfect choice. For this reason, it would be quite useless to just use the Kronos as a MIDI controller with my DAW, which is probably about the only thing I would know how to do. Is there a way to make the sounds on Kronos, but sequence them, and later edit them on PC instead?
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vokoca wrote:
This is probably going to be a really stupid question, but please bear with me - I am a beginner. I will be getting the Kronos soon, and while I will surely want to spend some time with the hardware sequencer, I'd definitely want to rather use it with my DAW instead, if possible. Since I've seen in this topic that some people indeed do this, I wanted to ask, how exactly? What cables do you need and such?

I am buying the Korg mainly because my sound card is rather horrible, and I am lacking any hardware whatsoever, so this workstation seemed like the perfect choice. For this reason, it would be quite useless to just use the Kronos as a MIDI controller with my DAW, which is probably about the only thing I would know how to do. Is there a way to make the sounds on Kronos, but sequence them, and later edit them on PC instead?

I think you should build a Multi with 16 sounds you want to use by default.
connect your computer via USB2MIDI or USB cable.
Install Korg Kronos driver on your PC/MAC.
Make your DAW send over USB or whatever MIDI cable/adapter/patchbay you will use.
(You best use a cable like this: http://www.thomann.de/de/lindy_usb_20_kabel_5m_typ_ab.htm)
Start your DAW and send some notes to the Kronos and hear if you hear anything. Test this with all MIDI channels. Select MIDI channel 10 for drums as this is standard. You can send bank select and prog select MIDI events from your DAW if you want to change the sounds in the multi prog.

Buy a book about MIDI recording.
And RTFM of course. Wink
Hope this helps a bit.[/url]
|'|'||'|'|'||'|'| / Physis Piano H1 / Roland Fantom G6 + ARX-01 & 02 / M3 61 & EXB-Radias & 256 MB / Arturia vCollection 3 / KLC / Minimonsta / Kawai K5000 S + R / Moog Little Phatty Stage II / Novation Ultranova / Roland JX-305 / TE OP-1 / iPad & microKey 25 & iODock. / Yamaha Rm1x & QY100 / Logic 9 & Mainstage |'|'||'|'|'||'|'|
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know why, but i was never able to make a whole song using kronos' sequencer.. I'll stick with the sequencer on my yamaha PSR S910, although the sound is better on kronos..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
Vokoca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
Vokoca wrote:

I think you should build a Multi with 16 sounds you want to use by default.
connect your computer via USB2MIDI or USB cable.
Install Korg Kronos driver on your PC/MAC.
Make your DAW send over USB or whatever MIDI cable/adapter/patchbay you will use.
(You best use a cable like this: http://www.thomann.de/de/lindy_usb_20_kabel_5m_typ_ab.htm)
Start your DAW and send some notes to the Kronos and hear if you hear anything. Test this with all MIDI channels. Select MIDI channel 10 for drums as this is standard. You can send bank select and prog select MIDI events from your DAW if you want to change the sounds in the multi prog.

Buy a book about MIDI recording.
And RTFM of course. Wink
Hope this helps a bit.[/url]

Thanks for the info! Yeah, RTFM goes without saying. Very Happy As for the books, I really will have to read some. I wasn't aware there were books specialized on this kind of thing - I'll definitely have to look some up and give them a read... any recommendations as to which books are worth reading when it comes to making music in general?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: