Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headphones or Amp ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyyap95

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Headphones or Amp ? Reply with quote

Hmmm before asking this i've done a little research over the net...
but i am not sure what i've seen is it correct or is it still use able for now
cause most of them are old thread, old article...

First of all... what i've know is.... Good Amp Are EXPENSIVE
then a GOOD HEADPHONE..... ALOT.... ALOT

So from what i learned Amp are more suitable for live performance ?

Btw.... my current budget could only allow me to get a good/decent Headphone ....

So before asking what headphones i should buy
i wanted to know if when you play piano while hear it through headphone
will make your ear more tire ?
will it be uncomfortable while wearing it ?
Can you take it for few hrs ??

Ok... my budget for headphone is around 250USD
will add up a little bit if really have big difference...

or will u suggest me to buy an amp(or powered spkr?) around 250usd?
djcactus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i kind of like having both headphones and an amp for different reasons. Such as perspective, mixing, sleeping wife, etc etc

i got a behringer keyboard amp and i know they have a variety of models that suit any budget or amount of space.

Ive had mine about 5 or 6 years now and it sounds pretty good. http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHK3000FX

unfortunately it is 100 bucks more expensive then when i got mine but that could be an upgraded model.

Behringer can get alot of flak sometimes but its a good sounding amp and ive had no issues yet, surprisingly loud, full sounding, and the eq on the amp itself is nice to have around.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play many gigs and have a Roland amp (KC350) but prefer to work with in-ear monitoring. I have an Ultimate Ear in ear headset and it sounds great. Especially if you are willing to use cables (I have bad experiences with wireless), no key amp will beat the in ear experience and does justice to the quality of the sound of the Kronos. Also the noise of the band leaves less traces (beeps in your ear afterwards) since I work with in ear.
ChrisP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a joy to hear German Grand on the headphones. I use an old AKG and Kronos sounds so good. I think 250 is a good budget for a headphone. You should be able to buy a KRK easily for that price. An audio engineer recently recommended to me. All the best!
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to spend that much on headphones, my favorite is the Yamaha RH-5Ma, a neutral-sounding, comfortable, lightweight phone for about $60, and their sound translates accurately to amplified speakers...which is a whole other thing: as has been said here many times, you need to run stereo to get the full Kronos sound, particularly pianos...your best bet is two small powered PA speakers, I've used the Behringer B205D and B208D for rehearsals / smaller gigs...you can get a pair of either of these for about $300...of course if you're playing Black Country Communion tunes, or in arenas, you need a lot more power...old jazz guy talking here, YMMV...

df
cyyap95

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After asking around, and done some search

i think i am going to choose either one of below listed

AKG K240 MKII
Shure SRH940
Sennheiser HD-25
Behringer Eurolive B210D(Pair)
Behringer Eurolive B208D(Pair)

Need Your Opinion Embarassed

Also interested on this ...
AIAIAI TMA-1 << not sure what's this

@ChrisP

LOL i can't find any KRK at that price = =
ShaneFF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You havn't said what your situation is? Is it purely for your own playing at home? monitoring for a band? this would hugely change what the best thing to get is...
rderderian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Shure 840 and they are really good, so the 940's would even be better. I have powered KRK5 speakers also, but headphones sound better, but sometimes I use the speakers as "live sound" is a different experience.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to me that Kronos programs and combis sound about the same through my headphones and through my speakers...that's one of the things I like about the Yamaha RH-5Ma headphones: with just a little bass boost on the phones, programs/combis will sound pretty much the same through JBL Eons, Behringer B2xxDs and Truth monitors, Barbetta Sona 31s, etc. (i.e., any good stereo amp setup)...

df
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your first post you asked if your ears will tire from wearing headphones after 3 hours. Yes they will unless you can keep the volume down very low. Also, you must always be aware that prolonged exposure to any sound can permanently damage your ears. I use both Headphones and studio monitors at home and professionaly loudspeakers for live.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
cyyap95

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home use... very small room

i ask for powered pa speaker because i want clean sound even in low vol
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the AKG K271 MKII headphones and the Kronos sounds amazing through them. The Pianos especially. But they are hot after about 2 hours time.
Great for late night jamming.
ShaneFF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its in a very small room a loudspeaker of any sorts even studio monitors will probably yeild worse results than a good pair of headphones. Small rooms have all sorts of accoustical problems. Low end nodes and high end flutter echo being the worst problems. Definately get yourself a good pair of headphones.

Any beyerydynamic or sennheiser studio headphones in your price range will sound pretty great
http://www.thomann.de/ie/beyerdynamic_dt880_pro.htm

Besides that, there is pretty much no pa speaker in the world that will do a kronos justice for 250-300e
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also PA speakers are not built to have clean sound at low volume. They're built to go loud, with hopefully as little distortion as possible. Studio monitors are built to have clean sound at low volume. But I agree, in a very small room you'll probably get the best results with good headphones. I use BeyerDynamic DT990 pro myself, and I like them. But it's personal, and ideally you should try a few in the shop. The fit especially is important, e.g. I couldn't imagine using the HD25s for very long, they're pretty tight and go on your ears rather than over them like most others.

Also, if you're looking mainly to enjoy the sound privately and are not planning to record or mix professionally, you might do well with an entry level set of monitors with a sub.
ShaneFF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may also be worth noting that if you only get one P.A. speaker you will be missing out on so much by having it in mono.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: