Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys as an investment ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
methusala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Oasys as an investment ? Reply with quote

Just a thought. Does anyone feel that in time the exclusiveness of our O may see an increase in its value. I doubt if we would recoup our initial purchase price from new but you never know------not that I'm contemplating selling it, just treating it with respect etc etc. I don't see the Kronos, for example, as an investment in money terms.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree that in time the OASYS will be regarded as a classic which suggests to me that it may well one day see higher prices being paid. The O really is a one of a kind I think.

That said we are in the downward value phase just now with the Kronos being the current flavour.

Whatever happens, I treat my O with huge care and will be kept working whatever it takes!

In the meantime the O and I spend many happy hours making music together Smile
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always held the opinion that electronic keyboards would not hold their price; but the recent interest in old Wurlitzer and Fender Rhodes, Hammond B3s as well as my old Mini-Moog indicate that I had misjudged interest in older equipment. That being said, and with the relatively small number manufactured, the Oasys stand a good chance of repeating that trend.

I intend on keeping mine. Besides, it is the best piece of equipment that I have in my studio and probably will be for some time, given the investment made. Wink

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understand why people buy something like a digital synth as a future investment,you invest into something for what it offers value wise now,and investment can be different things to different people,purchasing an Oasys as a pension fund really is false economy and not really investing into what it is,you'd be better placed to keep the finances in the bank.

If in years to come the popularity of the Oasys fires off again and people want to pay over the top prices,if you can envision that then its worth perhaps a secondhand purchase now as a gamble due to the lower secondhand prices,but the small number of us who have bought from new will prefer to hang onto ours for its diamond value now,we've seen the value and beauty of it that its investment is simply beyond financial
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
we've seen the value and beauty of it that its investment is simply beyond financial

Absolutely!! I would never consider my O a financial investment - I collect malt whisky for that.

The investment I made in the O is the musical one and it provides all the return I could ever want.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If in years to come the popularity of the Oasys fires off again and people want to pay over the top prices,if you can envision that then its worth perhaps a secondhand purchase now as a gamble due to the lower secondhand prices,but the small number of us who have bought from new will prefer to hang onto ours for its diamond value now,we've seen the value and beauty of it that its investment is simply beyond financial"

Agreed. I should live long enough to learn all the nooks and crannys of this beautiful machine. One can hope. Wink

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
DH56

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember like it was yesterday the time I walked into the music store back in 2007 and sat down to audition this new "Open Architecture" synth, not knowing the structure or what any of the buttons did. The first combi of course was "Particles and Waves" and I knew after the first few minutes of playing that this was something very very special. Suffice it to say that my OASYS went home with me that day and while it is an awful lot of money to throw down on a musical instrument, the emotional value of the OASYS can never truly be considered just in monetary terms.

For it is much more than just a synth! It is like a work of art. For when you start grooving on this magnificent machine, and you have all of those green, red, and blue lights dancing around you, you know you have found a true treasure. While I applaud Korg for making an "OASYS for the masses" with the Kronos, I just don't get the same thrill from it compared to playing the mighty "O"

Long live King O!!

"When you think about it...it's all we really need!"
KRONOS2-61 | OASYS 76 | Jupiter-80 | Integra-7 | V-Synth GT (2) | V-Synth XT | Fantom XR (2) |XV-5080 | Triton-Rack | JD990 (4) | Wavestation SR | 01R/W | JV-2080 | JV-1080 | Kurzweil K2500RS | Kurzweil K2000RS | Proteus 3 World | SC-88 | D-70 | MC-80 | TD-20 V-Drums | Korg Wavedrum | Roland Handsonic HPD-15 | Mackie SR32.4-VLZPRO | Mackie 1402-VLZ3 | Yamaha HS80M

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=948812
methusala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly. Happy Christmas to you all and best wishes for 2013.

Patrick
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH56 wrote:

LOL! ROFL
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on it:

When comparing the OASYS to the Kronos, the OASYS (IMO) will sustain a far higher retail price in the long run. The reason I say that is - in terms of the OASYS's and Kronos's strength, while right now the Kronos wins out because of its superior pianos in particular, in the long run, that will not matter. Sampling technology will only get better and there will come a time when the Kronos's pianos will seem crude by comparison to the best around. The same goes for all the samples on board both instruments.

But when you consider the synth engines such as MOD7, AL-1, STR-1, Polysix and MS20; and in particular the currently largely unexplored depths of each synth engine through the likes of AMS and AMS Mixers, Step Sequencers, Dynamic Modulation and so on; as well as Karma, Wave Sequencing, Vector Synthesis; then if OASYS or Kronos are to retain (or develop) reputation in the long run - it will because of these fabulous sound design capabilities.

For example, the sheer number of modulation possibilities in any of the Synth Engines probably surpass all other VA synths either in hardware of software implementations around today, and probably rival the configurability of large modular synths of ages past. That sort of exquisite synthesis capability is currently unexplored by both the OASYS and the Kronos communities; but they may be seen in the long run as reasons to value both the OASYS and Kronos. If there is to be any long term value in OASYS and Kronos it has to come from such synthesis technologies because as said, their sample based instruments will seem as crude one day as the M1 seems to us today.

In that instance, the OASYS will surely become far more valuable than the Kronos because it's a far superior hardware implementation.

So I expect the OASYS to drop to slightly lower than the current prices (about $2500 for an O88 currently) but in the long run, in say in 5 - 10 years, they could become more expensive once again, especially for well looked after examples. I think the biggest issue is spare parts - will the OASYS last that long and will parts such as the LCD screen or motherboard be still available.

In summary, in the long term the OASYS will surely be coveted far and beyond the Kronos, and if there is to be any considered legacy to this technology, the OASYS will be seen as the class item, the paradigm shift, with the Kronos seen as a budget implementation of the same technology.

As to whether to hold onto an OASYS as a pure financial investment - that is impossible to answer. There is far more certainty in purchasing vintage synthesizers. Many of my vintage synthesizers (several CS80s, VP330s, Jupiter 6, Prophet 10, Prophet T8, DX1, CS70M, Monopoly,...) are so valuable that I could not buy them now (one of my CS80s cost me $1000 about ten years ago, was fully restored (to better than new condition) by Kent Spong the master CS80 restorer and is probably worth more than $20,000 today). Even if you bought a VCS3 for the $10,000 typical asking price it is worth it (and is an excellent investment) because they will cost $20,000 before too long. I'd go a far as to say that vintage synthesizers (exquisite examples) are among the very best investments you can make these days. But that does not apply to OASYS (yet!!).

Kevin
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
DH56 wrote:

I don't know!!!!

Being into all things synth is a never ending passion,sadly it doesn't stop at owning the Oasys.
DH56

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know!!!!

Being into all things synth is a never ending passion,sadly it doesn't stop at owning the Oasys.

Did you see my "gear-junkie" byline 49? Shocked It was a joke intended for those Kronosians who say that's all THEY need! Laughing

We can agree to agree! Wink
KRONOS2-61 | OASYS 76 | Jupiter-80 | Integra-7 | V-Synth GT (2) | V-Synth XT | Fantom XR (2) |XV-5080 | Triton-Rack | JD990 (4) | Wavestation SR | 01R/W | JV-2080 | JV-1080 | Kurzweil K2500RS | Kurzweil K2000RS | Proteus 3 World | SC-88 | D-70 | MC-80 | TD-20 V-Drums | Korg Wavedrum | Roland Handsonic HPD-15 | Mackie SR32.4-VLZPRO | Mackie 1402-VLZ3 | Yamaha HS80M

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=948812
Fishtown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Here is my 2 cents on this Reply with quote

On the subject of having a instrument that will increase its value. Back in 1980 I had a chance to grab a Mellotron 400D, while I had paid $700.00 for it at that time, I had caught the downward spiral for this instrument. I still have the Mellotron,sitting in its muff and have not used it in the last 20 years. I often thought I really need to get rid of this old thing. So I tested the waters and I had a offer of $3000.00 for it from a collector. I think I will take him up on that offer. For any Prog. rocker out there this is a iconic instrument, even though today with samplers and digital this sound can be recreated minus the 7 second note sustain problem. Something about hearing it done on a analog original that I find appealing. I to have the Oasys 88 key and I feel the same way about this. Problem is I may need to hand this one down to my kids before I see that same value go up. A collector is the one who would be interested I think.
pilbeam_mp62

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well resurrect this thread as there is not a lot of action on the forum these days. I still have my Oasys 76 that I bought when they first came out. I don't play it all that much but I wouldn't sell it.

Maybe the same thing could happen with the Oasys that happened with the Minimoog D.... the second hand values will eventually go up, and then Korg will re-issue the Oasys in about 30 years time !!

Who knows - I don't have a clue .. but I still enjoy playing mine. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: