Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using PA and external speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pianos (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j77799

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Using PA and external speakers Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a new user and have a question about our LP350. It is being used in a church (organ mode) along with a regular piano. The piano is a very loud piano and even though the Korg is plugged into the PA system through the Line Out jack, the piano is drowning out the Korg and I cannot hear myself playing the Korg. Would I be able to plug an external battery operated speaker in to the headphone jack to monitor myself without damaging the LP350? Or, what is recommended in this situation?

Thanks so much for your help!
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome j77799,

my first question would be: why battery operated?
Since your instrument operates from AC you could use any kind of active speakers. These can be feed from the headphones jack without any risk since this kind of speakers usually are suitable for line-out and headphone outputs. You may use standard multimedia/PC speakers or dedicated keyboard amp speakers like listed here http://www.sweetwater.com/c525--Keyboard_Amplifiers (only as example, no advertising purpose!).
In some cases you may adjust the output volume of your instrument a bit and then compensate it with the PA for the audience, and the monitor for you.

This problem is very common since the piano spreads its sound in all directions but your instruments PA is directed towards the audience and you probably sit or stand at its back. This is why you need your own monitor speaker.

Ah, and just in case you really need a battery operation, there are also battery operated amp speakers too.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
j77799

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought a portable battery operated speaker would be best because I was afraid of damaging the keyboard by having too many things plugged into it. Thanks for your answer, exactly what I was needing to know.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the 1/4" jack off the back of the Korg into a direct box to go to the PA you can usually tale a line off from that to do monitoring. It is unpowered line level mono signal, at which point you'd need an amp or a mini-mixer with a headphone jack in order to hear the Korg's output.

The keyboards headphone out is stereo and unless you have stereo cables and a speaker system that will accept and interpret that stereo signal you'll only get one side and not the other.

If you want a stereo "picture" you might try computer speakers - they're usually stereo (maybe even with a sub) can sit close to you (like on top of the keyboard) and at moderate volumes can handle the width of the signal (hi/lo frequencies). For that you can pick up a second hand gaming speaker system and a mini to 1/4" headphone jack adapter.

Low budget, but solves the problem.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pianos (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: