Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is KP3+ worth it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikola tesla

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: is KP3+ worth it? Reply with quote

hey guys, i know we've been discussing for some time about the KP3+, but some friends of mine are travelling to the states in some weeks and i'm in doubt of whether ask them to buy me a KP3+ or the regular KP3. i bought some months ago the regular KP3, but after i found out the plus was being released, i sold it without opening.

what id like to ask you all is: what are the true advantages of the KP3+? i mean, obviously some new fx, but what else? from what i see its:

- 9v (old KP3 was 12v)
- more fx
- sdhc card compatibility
- paying 100 bucks plus?? (for a new one, an used KP3 can be bought for as low as 150 usd)

has anyone compared the performance between them (the old and new one)? is the KP3 friendlier with looping/sampling, or does it have any other advantages in performing besides the new fx?

thanks a lot for your comments, i hope we can summarize all the KP3 Vs. KP3+ discussion in this topic
Marxon

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nikola,

i had never the chance to compare both directly,
but if you like to know my opinion:
My first FX device was a KP2. Of course it has not been perfect,
but i was happy with it.
Later i bought the KP3. It was a lot better. I only missed some more varied synth sounds which the KP2 had. But the advantages dominated!
It is still not perfect, but i am happy with the KP3, too.
If i buy my next KP, then i would expect the same continuous development.
So i am really disappointed from Korg because the high price for something which is not much more as a firmware update.
The only advantage from my sight would be (hopefully)
a faster SD card access which is really annoying on the KP3.
And i dont think there is such a really outstanding good new FX which is worth the money.
KP3+, KP Quad, Mini KP2, Kaossilator 2, Kaossilator Pro+... all seem a little bit half-heartedly to me.
I will spend my money only for a real KP4!

Best regards
Marxon
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg would have really hit it off if they would have updated the KP3 so you could have different effects for each sample bank...just sayin...
maarkr

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, a hundred bucks more for some more fx??? I thought it was a bit much.. add some more features for the same money and it would be a hit. Maybe I'm missing something.
Marxon

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maarkr wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something.

Unfortunately no. Laughing
nikola tesla

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Marxon for your opinions!! thinking about it a bit more, i decided not to buy the KP3+. youre right, it's not worth 100usd+ (almost half the price more), what was calling me to it, like a siren, was the hypothetical improve in machinery and the fact that probably from now on korg will only update the +s. but it really seems that the hardware is basically the same.. has anyone contacted korg to ask about the supposed changes in hardware? i'm not even sure if i'll buy the regular one anymore, cause probably from now on they'll only support the +. oh korg.. why? what have we done? i'll try emailing them, if i find something out i'll post it here..
best regards!
Marxon

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

nikola tesla wrote:
but it really seems that the hardware is basically the same.. has anyone contacted korg to ask about the supposed changes in hardware? i'm not even sure if i'll buy the regular one anymore, cause probably from now on they'll only support the +. oh korg.. why? what have we done? i'll try emailing them, if i find something out i'll post it here..
best regards!

please take a look at my other topic about KP+
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79833

Marxon
nikola tesla

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howdy! i did check that thread before, but i didn't get if the only hardware change is in the EEPROM (is it really 128k on the KP3+?). i received a reply from korg.com, but since i'm not in the usa, i was told to contact my local korg. i'll do that this weekend, though i'm kind of letting the KPs go
best
kineticsoundprism

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: is KP3+ worth it? Reply with quote

my personal feeling is korg released the Kp3+ to counter the secondhand market thats Massive.....seriously theres 100#s on ebay weekly....i am pretty sure thats why it was released the the only reason....add a few fx and all of a sudden some people are put off buying a secondhand one for £150.

+ models in most product ranges are to counter bad resell figures...its a business move , they have inproved the Kp3 , they have added a few new fx that could easily be flashed into the older kp3 probably.

The other possibility is the older kp3 have some generic defective issue thats coming to light now and they superseded one of the internal parts , decided to 're promote ' the kp3 via the ' + status.Access did this with the ti2 which was released as the ti mk1 had a substandard cpu that broke up the audio channels when you called up to many patches ( on a 16 part multi synth ?)....anyway i am pretty sure this is just another shallow business move and little more designed to weaken the second hand market and refloat the Kp3 , i dont believe they couldnt have released a new update with these ' new upto date fashionable ' fx in this day and age ....they have the technology but they are playing and milking people for more money.......thats capitalism.Sorry if i sound cynical but its see through this kp3+

Vsynth patches and Exotic impulse responses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: