Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsampler or esx-1 or ableton

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lei9h

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Microsampler or esx-1 or ableton Reply with quote

I am in two minds as to what to do here.
I really want a sampler but i don't know what to go for. The thing is, i love hardware as apposed to software but i know you can do a lot more with software.
i like the way you can manipulate almost everything with the esx-1 and it seems very easy to create on it.
I dont know enough about the microsampler to make an educated decision.
so what i am asking is, what do u guys think.
I am gonna get one of them to add to my korg m50 and roland rs-70.
i have ableton already but have not got into it yet.
sorry for going on.
Dj Pound

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the specs, the ESX still has a superior sequencer/editing interface, compared to the microsampler. That said, Im still personally anxious to buy one.
MicroStation
MicroKorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532
lei9h

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys. i bought the micro sampler. do u think i made the right choice?
i kind of like it. bit disappointed in the real time effects.
i think it is most made for beat boxing.
see how we get along
Dj Pound

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lei9h wrote:
Well guys. i bought the micro sampler. do u think i made the right choice?
i kind of like it. bit disappointed in the real time effects.
i think it is most made for beat boxing.
see how we get along

Where did you buy it from? I thought the ofiicial release date was Nov. 1st?
MicroStation
MicroKorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532
lei9h

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i bought it from instruments2go in Preston. cool shop.
Dietrich

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an ESX-1 today... waiting until it gets shipped.

The sequencer, hands on controls and effects of the ESX-1 have made me decide so. I hope Korg once announces a more advanced version of the microSAMPLER (like with the microKORG XL) if sales were good enough. It sure is a nice machine but lacking things compared to the ESX.
lei9h

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i bought it from instruments2go in Preston. cool shop.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the specs I'd say that the microsampler is worth it if you were paying only about $200. As cool as some of the features are on it, meaning how quickly you can sample (great for my needs) there really is not enough going on here to justify a purchase anywhere near $500.

Maybe we are spoiled here with great tools that have increadible features like the ES-1 or the ES-x. If you really want a good instant live sampler KP3 is still the superior tool. If you have more time to really work with your samples then ES-X is the best over all.

This new microSampler is a real let down!

The absolute best advice: get a dedicated computer and run Ableton Live.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
shabby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i def. do not agree. i have had it for a week now. and already did some live shows with it.. it is fast intiutive, the editor is really good, transfer speed ok.

in my dreams i was already designing this think for long time..

now i do not have to turn on my computer start live, patch the modules or synths etc... and then finally start when the creativity is already draind...

i just look at the tempo tap generate ideas with whatever comes to hand and have a complete pallette of loops beats fx melodies in dofferent shapes..

ready to jam with and transfer to the mac for some sequence arranging in live..

the 12 and 6 khz sample rate is really good sounding really old school gritty..

some of the fx are not so playable, but i attached my kp2 to it or the fx1 and 2 controlling. it is also mising some must have features of the kp3 (as the autostart looping after sampling) but if we all team up and have good OS suggestions, u never know they might incorporate it in an update..

and there are still some flakes, i think they released it a little early, but the thing is rocksolid and plays very nice (the micro keys i mean)

it is not to compare with the esx since that is a grid/pattern based sampler.. totally different..

the pattern sequencer is very basic and indeed missing some feastures and having some flakes.. but it works very nice (if only u could turn the metronome down it is really ear bleeding).. because it is so simple

i would say esp. in the midi area the should add at least more parameters for controlling in de fx and sample edit (tune/volume etc)
pertiet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got me a Microsampler too...
First impression is that it really is lightweight and somehow it looks (or better: feels) cheap. My opinion.
Someone mentioned something about $ 200 - I would say somewhere between 100 and 200 would be a good price.
BUT: thats only my first impression.
Compared to the Electribes thats really different: I never bought musical equipment feeling so heavy and making a feeling it would never be destroeyed (Electribes)

Anyway - I really like this little thing so far and am going to see whether I can get some music out of it or not...

Edit after two days of playing with the microsampler:

still looks / feels cheap.
But:
-I took it to different places for recording (sampling) stuff - here its good that the microsampler is small and lightweight
-its very fast making lots of samples and playing with these musically. If thats not real english - what I mean is you can use the keys - or in my case a stagepiano via midi - and play with the samples as if you played on a 'normal' keyboard. This really is very easy and exactly what I have been looking for. I will post some Electribe / Microkorg / Microsampler-based songs later on www.electribe-forum.com
-the sequencer is not really what I was looking for - maybe I did not understand it yet, maybe it really is silly...

http://www.pertiet.de
http://myspace.com/henningpertiet
http://myspace.com/teitreph

My Equipment:
Korg EMX-1
Korg ESX-1
Microkorg
Microsampler
Korg Kaoss Pad 3
Korg SP-200
Samick Grandpiano
13 guitars (Fenders, Gibsons, Reverend,...)
Zoom HD-16
Zoom H2
mrtunes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i run a midi keyboard into the korg esx, will i achieve a similar behaviour as what the microSampler is?
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtunes wrote:
if i run a midi keyboard into the korg esx, will i achieve a similar behaviour as what the microSampler is?

That's a pretty general question.
If you hook up a midi keyboard into an esx1 you'll essentially still have an esx1 ! That's it except with added kb control.
The microsampler is different...Where the esx is predominately a sequencer & a sampler via its media card/file upload function, the microsampler will also grab any sound directly from its microphone. It makes some stuff a lot quicker & it's more versatile in that way.It can be battery powered for mobile sampling too. Instant sounds direct in & then live editing in the unit.
Sure you can load banks of samples into it too & the librarian/editor software is a nice little arranger but the two units are quite different creatures to work with.
The microsampler is very much like the older 80's sampler keyboard concept but more up to date. A rare type of unit now & a shame really because it's very useful & not expensive. It's sounds very good too.

I work a lot with the esx (3 years now) .It's my weapon of choice as my master clock etc.. I recently got hold of a used microsampler but honestly, i havn't had much time to dedicate to it yet...It's still waiting to be fully realized !
I have had a look around it though. It's not like the esx, not to work with, not to feel or look at.The electribe has a better ,more hands on & intuitive sequencer & i guess that's the crux of it...It is built around a sequencer first & foremost.

Bit of a long answer i suppose. For me it might be worth having both & with the microsampler i plan on doing much more live sampling of anything that sounds good.
Cool
mrtunes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DrHoo, that was helpful. Can you elaborate on the live sampling process? When I had my chance to get a microSampler on clearance I passed because I was under the impression that it doesn't do live looping like the KP3 does. But now I'm interested in other types of sampling for performance, it doesn't have to be looped immediately.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this. A good general overview & not too long...

http://youtu.be/RlzY56_rY7I
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: