Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS-20 Mini noob question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ESMP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: MS-20 Mini noob question Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I'm having an apparently dumb problem right now... I recently received my MS-20 mini and so far I love it. However I just have one issue which can't seem to figure out. So far I've been connecting the Phones output to the Propellerhead Balance interface with no problem, but I can't seem to be able to make sound come out of the "Signal out" output of the MS-20!!! What is it needed for me to achieve this? Do I absolutely require a 1/8" mono cable in order for it to work? (because I have like a dozen of different cables but I noticed I've never needed a 1/8" to 1/4" mono cable so I don't have one right now. However, if it's what I'm missing for this thing to work, then I'll buy it no problem, but I thought a regular stereo cable would be able to at least make some mono sound... but no luck whatsoever.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated since I have found no information on this signal out jack ANYWHERE (well obviously the manual mentions it, but still... can't make it work) and when I see youtube videos of everyone using that same jack to output audio from the MS-20 instead of the phones (like me) I just get angrier for being incapable of making this work....

Well, hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers!
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing you should look into is seeing if the main output jack is damaged. Try plugging in a regular pair of headphones into the main output. You should be able to hear audio on either the left or right speaker. If I remember correctly, audio should be on the Left channel with a stereo cable. If you don't hear anything, it's probably damaged.

Mine actually works fine with a stereo Y cable. One end is male stereo headphone, then it splits into two individual male 1/4s. But like I pointed out above, only one of the 1/4 wires outputs audio, which is essentially a mono signal. A mono male 3.5mm to male 1/4 cable should also work just fine.
ESMP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude, I'll try pluggin my headphones directly and see if I can hear anything. I assume it shouldn't be damaged since I've tried routing this signal out jack to the ESP, turned the volume up and I manage to get a peak signal on it so I think at least "something" is coming out of this output... I just thought I wasn't supposed to connect headphones directly to that jack (I mean, there's another dedicated headphones jack... so I was always afraid of some high volume pop or something that might blow the headphones, or my ears, haha, but I guess I'll have to give it a try...)
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headphone output actually sends out a much louder audio signal, so plugging headphones into the main output should be fine. Also remember to have one or both of OSC Mixer knobs all the way up so that when you start adjusting the main volume, you'll hear less of that hissy noise which is coming from the filter.
plosive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not disagreeing with re-member, but in addition/to answer your original question about mono/stereo - yes, you should get a mono cable for the sig out jack, if you carefully halfway insert a stereo cable you should hear output.
ESMP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Got it! Reply with quote

Thank you re-member and plosive,

I finally got it to work!!! and I swear I don't know what I did before because when I tried connecting everything again this weekend it worked and I did the exact same thing I had been doing before! It could be one (or both) of two things... I was either not turning the volume high enough (my fear of my speakers popping was my main barrier) or as plosive suggested, perhaps I didn't plug the signal out correctly.

Anyway, everything's sorted now. Thank you guys for helping me out.

Cheers!
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA omg, I started a thread with the title "'Signal Out' Not working.. Feel like a noob" ... few hours later I scrolled down, and saw this thread.

tpantano wrote:
So I spent forever looking on the back of my MS-20 for a 1/4" audio jack... and found none. Eventually I looked to the front panel and discovered a 'signal out' many jack- which I presume is the master output.

I got a 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter then ran a 1/4" cable into my soundcard... and got no sound.

I then switched to the Phones output- and I do get sound!

Is my units Signal Output defective, or am I misunderstanding something about the synth? What is the optimal way to output sound from the MS-20 to a 1/4" sound card?

Thanks!

ANYWAYS, I'm not really understanding how you solved this problem. Currently, I run a 1/4" cable into a 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter, and then plug it into 'Signal Out'. I get no sound even with the oscillators at max and the volume knob at max.

Meanwhile, I plug into the Phones out and get a perfect signal. Are there any issues with using the Phones signal over the Signal Out?

Also, what gives? What might I be doing wrong?

Perhaps my male 1/8" to 1/4" female adapter is stereo? It's weird, as it was purchased years ago, advertised as an adapter for recording your guitar into a 1/8" computer mic input... and an electric guitar isn't exactly a stereo instrument. I'll have a look at the 1/8 bit tomorrow to see if it looks stereo.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k. Just to add some clarification here...

...For general output of sound signal there are two outs... The 'Signal out' (Top right corner) is the main output & intended to take a 3.5mm (1/8") mono jack plug.
The 'Headphone out' (Directly below it) is also for a jack of the same type.
The master volume/on/off knob being right next to them both.
For normal output of signal to a mixer or amp etc.. the 'Signal out' socket should be all that is required. The headphone out is (I've heard) pre-amped like any other
headphone out so will sound louder.

If you are not getting any sound through the signal output you are either missing a trick or there is a fault with the unit.

Other tips for the noob.... Apart from what i have said above make sure of the following...Without any patch cables in the panel.

1.Make sure both filters are open enough & one or both oscillators are turned up somewhat at the mixer section.
H.p filter cut off - turn all the way left , L.P filter cut off - turn all the way right. Both peak knobs all the way left for now. That's the filters open !

2. Adjust envelope generator 2 so that the attack time is fully left. Put the decay decay & sustain at 12 0'clock or somewhere other than fully left ! Add a release time
by turning the release knob to the right a bit. (Don't worry about the 'HOLD' just yet, turn it fully left)

3.Press a key......Hear anything ? Rolling Eyes
ESMP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tpantano,

Hmmm... I think it would be useful to know what you are connecting the MS-20's signal out to... A mixer? Directly to your computer?

I'm assuming my problem was related to me being afraid of turning the volume up. I tried what Re-Member suggested and I was able to hear something connecting my headphones directly to the signal out (even though they have a stereo plug, so that shouldn't be a problem)

Cheers
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MS-20 is connecting to an input on my PreSonus Firestudio Mobile sound interface. The signal chain of

MS-20 Headphone Out -> Male 3.5mm to Female 1/4" jack -> 1/4" instrument cable -> 1/4" Female input on the Presonus Firestudio Mobile -> Logic Pro

Works perfectly fine. Even with the volume knob set to 10, I still get around 6 decibels of headroom with most patches. However,

MS-20 Signal Out -> Male 3.5mm to Female 1/4" jack -> 1/4" instrument cable -> 1/4" Female input on the Presonus Firestudio Mobile -> Logic Pro

Doesn't give me any sound whatsoever, even connected to the same input on the Presonus with the same channel strip in Logic.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:
The MS-20 is connecting to an input on my PreSonus Firestudio Mobile sound interface. The signal chain of

MS-20 Headphone Out -> Male 3.5mm to Female 1/4" jack -> 1/4" instrument cable -> 1/4" Female input on the Presonus Firestudio Mobile -> Logic Pro

Works perfectly fine. Even with the volume knob set to 10, I still get around 6 decibels of headroom with most patches. However,

MS-20 Signal Out -> Male 3.5mm to Female 1/4" jack -> 1/4" instrument cable -> 1/4" Female input on the Presonus Firestudio Mobile -> Logic Pro

Doesn't give me any sound whatsoever, even connected to the same input on the Presonus with the same channel strip in Logic.

Test the Signal Out with a pair of headphones like I suggested to ESMP above. Audio should come out of the left speaker on your headphones, which is normal behavior. If not, then it might be damaged.

If you do hear audio, then the Male 3.5mm to Female 1/4 convertor you are using is probably only receiving a Right channel signal. Even though Signal Out is supposed to be a mono signal, it's actually just an isolated Left channel stereo signal, whereas the Headphone Out has the audio placed on both the Left and Right channels so it sounds mono when listening to headphones.

Just to give you a heads up, having an audio jack adapter coming directly out of the Mini is not a good idea because both it and the weight of the 1/4 cable applies extra pressure to the sockets and can damage the circuit board if it gets moved with force. The best thing to get is a just a long, thin 3.5mm cable, then just connect one of these guys to your amp, mixer or audio interface...

Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go.

Still, one question- is there anything inherently damaging to the signal about using the headphone out? The only danger I can think of clipping, but as I mentioned, I can make some pretty loud patches and still have a lot of headroom.
plosive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..nothing wrong with using the headphone out, its just slightly louder and you have a volume knob right there to tame it if u need to.

as for connecting - you would be best off getting something like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMP3

..having an adapter sticking out of the panel is asking for damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: