Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why don't patches sound the same in Combi as in Program mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
staric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Why don't patches sound the same in Combi as in Program mode Reply with quote

Just got my Krome, so please bear with me on the multiple questions. Am replacing a Yamaha S80 I've been using for 10+ years so have a whole decade of programming I need to replicate as quickly as possible.

Anyway, I use lots of splits and layers for songs with multiple keyboard parts, etc., and it is bugging me to find a sound I want to use but then pull it into a new user-set up Combi patch (bank D) only to find that it doesn't sound the same. For example, when I pull in Attack Piano (at least I think that's what it's called - I'm away from the Krome now - it's program A-31), it doesn't sound nearly as bright as the original patch.

What's the deal, and how do I pull something into Combi mode preserving all the original parameters, effects, etc.??
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In combi mode select the Copy from Program menu command. This gives you the option of copying all effects and karma settings. This works great for the first program you are adding to the combi but has limited value after that since the settings for the next program will be just overlay the first. See page 101 in the Parameter Guide for more info.

When you are building combis you will run out of IFX slots quickly. You will have to manually add programs and use the available IFX slots to reproduce the original programs the best you can. Sometimes things work out well, other times its almost impossible.
staric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I will try that. I'm not a huge gearhead and am not big into the whole programming thing - I'm more about just playing and am very much a part-time musician, with a job, family, other hobbies, etc., - so this whole area of effects, IFX slots, the routing of effects, etc., is all extremely confusing to me. I actually put off getting a new keyboard as long as I could because I dreaded having to do all the setup work on a new one.

Anyway, how many "IFX slots" do I have; i.e., how many sounds can I reasonably expect to be able to combine, recreating the original programs to the extent I can even figure out how to do all that, and is there any easy way to figure out what I need to do to get a patch in Combi mode to sound like it does in Program mode (after I've already used the "Copy from Program" approach once)?

Thanks again.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a total of 8 effects slots, 5 insert effects, 2 master effects and 1 total effect. There isnt a simple formula that works all the time. Everything will depend on what programs you will be using and what the desired results will be. There will be times when you just run out of slots and you will have to make due with what you have and reuse some of the effects. That's not always bad as you sometimes end up with a a sound that you like even better than the original.

If you absolutely have to have sounds in a certain way you can always record each track into a DAW separately and do the mix there.

You should browse the effects guide section in the parameter guide and also check out these videos.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCK5RgoO7TE

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=igiK4mDGDgg
flyingace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bald Eagle. This helped me a lot! It also helps to know that there are some similarities between the M50 and Krome. Korg should really mention this or redo videos/information to help us more!
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also similarities with the M3 so some information on that may also be useful if you come across anything. The M3 really just has a few more features like sampling and Karma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: