Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replicating M1 Organ Sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugra Ekuklu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Replicating M1 Organ Sound Reply with quote

I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask, I need to ask it. I found an E. Organ patch, M1 E. Organ SW1. Some effects are set, maintained by one simple knob, Knob 7. When I set Knob 7 to lowest, it sounds very nice. So I thought it will be better with drawbars and decided to replicate it with CX-3. But something makes sound different, I couldn't replicate the patch. What makes this sound different?

Also, when I overwrite the patch M1 E.Organ with REC/WRITE button, it overwrites the patch as though I prompted the Knob 7 at max. In other words, it resets the Knob 7 to maximum value, ignoring the current state. Is this a bug?

Buğra
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to your 2nd question, it's not a bug. But the 'RealTime Control' knobs are intended for altering the sound during a realtime performance. As such, their position is not saved as they are not actually altering a parameter. Instead they are being used as an AMS modulation source for a sound or effect parameter somewhere.

For your first question.. There would be a lot wrong. You're trying to emulate the sound of a rompler trying to emulate an electric organ, using an electric organ emulation.

A part of the M1 Piano and Organ sounds is that whilst they have a similar sound character to their original targets, they have none of the actual performance characteristics or dynamics. Indeed the samples are very snappy and heavily compressed. You'll probably want to exaggerate the percussion on the organ. I'm not sure if the M1 Organ program also used chorus but it could be worth trying that.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Bugra Ekuklu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you understand drawbar positions? Yes I tried increasing percussion, and used another IFX Organ Vibrato/Chorus. It sounds like C2 but it is not written in actual patch. Maybe some compressor and additional filters can help to catch that sound. Thoughts?
CTravaglini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from memory, the m1 organ is a sampled bx3 organ sound with the percussion way up. (forgive me, i can't remember what drawbar settings) but one of the problems would be the percussion. on the M1, (and the sample used to make the program you're talking about) the percussion is sampled on every note, so every time you attack a key, you get the percussion sound. On the CX3, like a real b3, the percussion only re triggers once you take your finger off the key and re strike another. Plus, the percussive sound is not the same as the M1 sound

if you like the M1 organ SW1 sound, its probably easy to fix the knob 7 problem. Go to the MFX page. look at the two MFX (i don't have my kronos in front of me so i don't know what effects are there) but one will probably be reverb (which is always assigned to knob Cool and then check whats above it, and go to that tab. Somewhere on that page you should see a "KnobMod +7" or something like that. If you don't, then go and check the IFX and find the effect assigned to knob 7

then turn all the values that knob 7 are matched to down. if you're lucky, knob 7 will be assigned to the wet/dry amount only and you just have to turn it to dry. then when you've made this change, you can save the patch with your updated changed
Bugra Ekuklu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTravaglini wrote:
from memory, the m1 organ is a sampled bx3 organ sound with the percussion way up. (forgive me, i can't remember what drawbar settings) but one of the problems would be the percussion. on the M1, (and the sample used to make the program you're talking about) the percussion is sampled on every note, so every time you attack a key, you get the percussion sound. On the CX3, like a real b3, the percussion only re triggers once you take your finger off the key and re strike another. Plus, the percussive sound is not the same as the M1 sound

Good point. Solution, it can be achieved by creating a combi and assigning second patch, an HD-1 program which romples percussion samples.

CTravaglini wrote:
if you like the M1 organ SW1 sound, its probably easy to fix the knob 7 problem. Go to the MFX page. look at the two MFX (i don't have my kronos in front of me so i don't know what effects are there) but one will probably be reverb (which is always assigned to knob Cool and then check whats above it, and go to that tab. Somewhere on that page you should see a "KnobMod +7" or something like that. If you don't, then go and check the IFX and find the effect assigned to knob 7

then turn all the values that knob 7 are matched to down. if you're lucky, knob 7 will be assigned to the wet/dry amount only and you just have to turn it to dry. then when you've made this change, you can save the patch with your updated changed

Solved. Thanks.

Also, an Enhancer effect may help to sound close. Level of percussion (attack of sound) should be cracked up.

Cheers
-B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: