Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOSS Board Combis ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: MOSS Board Combis ? Reply with quote

Hi -

I wonder has anyone gone through the EXB-MOSS board Combis B1-64 on the Korg Karma and checked and corrected the differences betwee Triton and Karma Bank A & B Programs within those Combi's?

I'm in the process of 'optimising' my Korg Karma with various programs and Combi's; and have just gone through the MOSS board Combis (I have the MOSS board installed). Some of these Combi's are very good indeed, but I suspect some are voiced incorrectly because the Combi's were designed for the Triton and not the Karma.

If anyone has a modified / corrected set of Combi's for the Karma I'd be delighted to pay you for a copy of them.

Thanks,
Kevin.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the stock (critical point, that) Karma program banks (A-B-C) are identical to the stock Triton (A-B-C) which should render all combis as intended.

I don't recall for sure whether the D bank sounds are fully established and integrated in the stock combi set up or left blank (init) -- usually C and D banks are KORG's default banks for an overwrite. At any rate, if you see the assignment of a D-bank program under the MOSS banks then you'd need to check and possibly change that.

If, however, you've overwritten the C-D-E banks because you've installed EXB-PCM boards or written/saved your own tweaks then you might very well be impacting the programs referenced in the MOSS bank combis and things would sound weird as a result.

SO: Check the combis in question "at-a-glance" to see whether they're all referencing A-B-F programs (Baseline Stock+MOSS) or if there are C-D-E program references within the MOSS combis; that's the most likely source of any "mis-written" combis.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill -

Thanks a million for your reply. that's interesting that the Karma and Triton share banks - I hadn't realised that. I'll definitely follow your pointers - it's only 64 combis to check (that relate to the MOSS board) so it shouldn't take too long.

Cheers!
Kevin.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bill, a good overview. To be clear:

A + B Program Banks on Karma are identical to Triton. Except for the dual arpeggios, which were replaced by Karma functions.

C + D Programs on Karma factory preload were left blank for expansion card programs (or whatever the user wanted). afaik, the E bank of Programs on Karma came from various other Triton sources (some from the C and D banks) and some new programs.

So Kevin, if the Karma contains the factory A and B Programs, then the 64 Triton Combis that come with the MOSS board should sound exactly the same as the Triton, EXCEPT for the arpeggios. And because the technologies are so different, there's really no way to accurately duplicate those arpeggios with Karma, except for the simple ones. Well, maybe it all could be done, with enough work and access to Stephen Kay's Karma MW software, but I'm not aware that anyone has done it.

All the best!

jg::
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,
You need to be careful not to install MOSS pcg in the Triton format. Doing so will eliminate your KARMA-fied programs and combis in A, B, and E because the Karma cannot read Triton Arps. As for EXB MOSS combis that are KARMA-fied, you will be out of luck because of the Arp/GE issues. However, I can't remember whether you asked me about my small collection called MOSSTER v 1 way back when I was programming for the red Karma. Here is a link to my "old" mp3 demos of some of the combis. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=100082

Sorry, it seems my webpages http://www.freewebs.com/ejs2/korgkarmasounds.htm for my red Karma combis is corrupted. So, you'll have to wait till I have that cleaned up. I haven't touched them in a long time, especially since I stopped programming for the Karma, focussing more on OASYS, KRONOS, M3 etc.[/url]

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: