Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AL-1 vs Virus question...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only two OSC (+ Sub) synths that sounds cold (and sterile) to me are the Gaia and Nords. Though I wouldn't quite use the term sterile.

Concerning AL-1, it does require a little finesse sometimes. Once in a while, I find myself reaching for a sound that's better served on another synth, or another model within the Kronos. Or "found myself," as it has been a while since I've programmed the thing.

Having said that, AL-1 is one of the most fun synths I've ever programmed. No, it can't be a Moog or Polymoog, it can't be an Oberheim, it can't be a Jupiter, it can't be a Prophet, but it can get really, really, really close. I made up some vintage style patches, some very close to what is on some classic song or other, and a bunch of others, and have earned some praise from people on them. One guy who owned a Minimoog said that my Mini patches were the closest thing he's heard yet! I'm assuming he means in a digital synth, because the Arturias and Minimonsta are quite accurate. But in a song or on stage, you'd be hard pressed to hear the difference, and I assigned the knobs to give you some useful live adjust or quick programming aids.

It can recreate a whole gob of OP-X patches, which is highly regarded as one of the best Oberheim modeled softsynths out there. Jupiter sounds, Prophet 5... it can capture a lot of character of those classic synths. It's a little more difficult to get some ARP and CS-80 textures, but you can do that too.

The Virus is a Virus, and it does its own chameleon stuff in its own way, Radias the same thing. Every synth is a little unique. But AL-1 rocks really hard in SO many ways, and I'm seriously glad I got my Kronos.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
The Virus is a Virus, and it does its own chameleon stuff in its own way, Radias the same thing. Every synth is a little unique. But AL-1 rocks really hard in SO many ways, and I'm seriously glad I got my Kronos.

i totally agree !

i love my own presets in the AL-1, i use them more then the VA presets from my other synths.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:

Furthermore a huge part of the virus sound is the lack of lower EQ in the sound.

This is a great lesson in synth design. Too many synths (Moog I'm looking at you) have a huge low end which needs to be eq'ed out to fit in with other sounds. Virus has a more reasonable low end, but shaping this with the filters creates a greatly usable range of sounds. The new filter in the fx section on extreme settings turns the most boring saw bass into amazing things. Low end power might impress in the store, but it's a liability in the studio. Viva La Virus!

B
rbox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Virus sounds more digital than the AL-1 and is way overrated. The AL-1 Filters are much better then the Virus Filter , they are more creamy. I think AL-1 is underrated, the best result from this engine you can get is to start from initsound , later doubling the Voices with Unison, tweaking the Lowboost/Drive Section adding effects like the Tube Simulator ....Voila
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbox wrote:
The Virus sounds more digital than the AL-1 and is way overrated. The AL-1 Filters are much better then the Virus Filter , they are more creamy

I made this video showing some of my favorite Virus sounds. I think the filter is pretty creamy on:

Dreams: MH
Erupt: SX
TheDawn JL
Lustre BC

And, just plain big on:

Under SX
Psyence MH
ThickSawJL
An@themoo
ResBass

The Virus TI also has Comb and Vocal filters, in addition to multiple distortion/saturation settings, at the filter level. Like someone else said, the Kronos and Virus are very different, hence they compliment each other well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: