Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

some questions regarding the esx1

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: some questions regarding the esx1 Reply with quote

Hi,
i'm considering an electribe esx 1 as a sampler,drum machine and sequencer but I have a few questions,I see that there is only limited amount of outputs on this hardware, so if i'm sequencing more than one part within the esx1 then the signal would be mixed when sent out. so sampling bass,keys,drums would all have to be mixed inside the esx,I prefer to mix down on a desk so I was thinking maybe I could use the esx as a main workstation sequencing other synths and running the drums? how easy is this to do? i'd like to link this up to an m-audio venom, possibly either a monotribe or a volca keys or bass. and ideally mix down through my mackie mixing desk. one thing i've noticed about the new korg products is they offer a sync in and out connection as well as a midi connector. I can't see this type of connection on the esx 1, so I gather it doesn't have this? so my question is how would I sync a volca keys or bass or monotribe with an esx 1? would I be able to sequence them or just simply sync them?
also another question does the esx1 have inbuilt compression?
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick reply: yes, compressor is on of the effects on the ESX1.
Regarding sync options: there is midi in on the Volca's. The Monotribe can be modded to include a midi in
brambos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo wrote:
Just a quick reply: yes, compressor is on of the effects on the ESX1.
Regarding sync options: there is midi in on the Volca's. The Monotribe can be modded to include a midi in

And to add to that... you can also use Out3/4 on the ESX as a sync-pulse channel into the Monotribe for syncing. It's not ideal, but it works for syncing. If you want to sequence your Monotribe you'll have to midi-mod it indeed.

The compressor on the ESX is ok, but not stellar.

As a sampler/sequencer the ESX is awesome. The workflow is really good and thought-through for a device like this. Especially considering it lacks a big screen.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: some questions regarding the esx1 Reply with quote

9853058 wrote:
maybe I could use the esx as a main workstation sequencing other synths and running the drums? how easy is this to do? i'd like to link this up to an m-audio venom, possibly either a monotribe or a volca keys or bass. and ideally mix down through my mackie mixing desk. one thing i've noticed about the new korg products is they offer a sync in and out connection as well as a midi connector. I can't see this type of connection on the esx 1, so I gather it doesn't have this? so my question is how would I sync a volca keys or bass or monotribe with an esx 1? would I be able to sequence them or just simply sync them?
also another question does the esx1 have inbuilt compression?

You would get more midi synth channels from the emx1 or some other midi sequencer. The esx1 only offers 2 keyboard channels & 1 drum channel. The drum sequencer though, being a sampler is great for it's total diversity & for the money the unit offers a lot of reliable use, a work horse indeed.
You're right about the number of outputs. There's one 'main' pair ,L & R/stereo out & this runs through the tube valves & the effects processor. Then there's another L & R pair which are independent & direct outs. The effects cannot be applied to this pair unless they are fed back into the input & they do not go via the tubes.
The 'sync' i/o sockets you see on the monotribe & volcas is an analogue sync clock pulse & is intended for use with other analogue gear only. If you want to sync the volca etc.. to the electribe, those units will sync via midi. You could also sequence them via midi the same as any other external synths.
As for the compression thing. Well there is a compressor of sorts onboard the electribe, only sidechainable from the fx processor though & personally i wouldn't consider using it & find it to be a micky mouse tool but that's just me .Other users though might find it a useful effect.

If you're going to spend a wedge of cash for a unit to sequence external gear it might pay you to look elsewhere too before making a final purchase.

I use mine ,an esx1 to sequence drum samples & to sequence outboard synths via midi. It works like a charm but there are still only 2 keyboard parts. I use external compression. Right now i have midi channel 2 running an analogue mono synth , two virtual analogue poly's & an old electribe ea1 all at the same time. Channel 1 is running another mono synth. There's an example , a lot of sound but still only two tracks.
There's a cheap fix for extra keyboard parts that i use... A yamaha qy10 as master clock will trigger the electribe's sequencer & i can record up to 8 midi channels, keyboards on top.

Hope that sheds some light on things.

Idea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks for the replies.
yea I am considering it mainly for its ease of use with sampling and sequencing. I heard that it was pretty straightforward and intuitive which is something I want in a central workstation piece of gear. thanks for the pointers about analog sync,currently I am more tempted by the volca keys than the monotribe, especially at the price it sells for it looks a bargain. I was previously considering an mpc although I suspect as I will be doing a lot of dance/electronic music that the workflow style of the mpc might not suit me, and compared to the esx1 I figured the korg would be better value for money. yea I am considering compression through an alesis 3632. if the compression on board the esx1 isn't what I am after then I suppose I could run the signal out through the direct outs? been considering other options, I have a rm1x which is ok but its a bit convoluted using it as a sequencer. similar I tried out an mmt8 and didn't find it that easy to work with. another option is an atari st running cubase, I need the disks and another floppy drive to sort this out but its another option. i'm in the market for a sampler, one which includes sequencing capabilities would be ideal so it can double up with more than one function. I like the modern layout of the esx1 but i'm still not totally sure how intuitive I will find it as I haven't given one a go yet. what kind of price do they tend to go for second hand?
brambos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine second hand in pristine condition for €300. Then changed the tubes for another €40.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, so that's about £250 plus £30-£40 or so to replace bits. i'd be setting the top of my budget for this sort of piece of hardware at around 300.
djcactus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my esx1 as a controller more then a sequencer. I still use the drums and samples ive collected, i just find it easier to slave the esx to ableton. You just find a new play button on the esx, a little unconventional but tons of options.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9853058 wrote:
cool, so that's about £250 plus £30-£40 or so to replace bits. i'd be setting the top of my budget for this sort of piece of hardware at around 300.

You don't have to replace bits. It's a personal choice thing. Just to offer my view too, if you are going to spend £300 on a used one you might as well buy new.
They're only £360 off the shelf now & with that you get the warranty & piece of mind that it's got years ahead of it. If you're going to buy used, beware of the vultures on Evilbay.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip Smile
I didn't realise the esx1 were still in production, sounds like a better idea unless I can find something else that suits me needs, cheers for the help guys.
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9853058 wrote:
thanks for the tip Smile
I didn't realise the esx1 were still in production, sounds like a better idea unless I can find something else that suits me needs, cheers for the help guys.

Remember that the newer versions of the ESX that are for sale in the stores, have SD memory cards, allowing for huge amounts of data. Older versions used Smart Media, max 128mb
brambos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9853058 wrote:
thanks for the tip Smile

As far as I know only the EMX is still in production. I haven't seen a new ESX in stock in any store for a long time.
carl B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brambos wrote:
I got mine second hand in pristine condition for €300. Then changed the tubes for another €40.
can you tell me please where can i find the kit to do this i am in the uk at this time my home country is IRELAND so its in pounds or euros is ok
carl B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
9853058 wrote:

You don't have to replace bits. It's a personal choice thing. Just to offer my view too, if you are going to spend £300 on a used one you might as well buy new.
They're only £360 off the shelf now & with that you get the warranty & piece of mind that it's got years ahead of it. If you're going to buy used, beware of the vultures on Evilbay.
i got mine new a week ago from a shop in the uk i paid £340 uk pounds new mine is the SD version but i seen some shops have the older one still make sure you buy the SD version as they are trying to sell you the older one
carl B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also how good is the sx at sampling Atmospheric Sounds, Ambiences Music Samples, Pads
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: