Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do MK patches sound on XL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AEJOTZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: How do MK patches sound on XL? Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, all patches for the original Microkorg can be loaded into the XL. My question is, how does the sound of such a patch when played on the XL compare to the sound when played on the original MK?

I love my MK. I'm tempted by the big library of patches for the XL and by the 640 Korg patches available for the XL+. I'd like to add an XL+ to my rig but I like to keep things physically small. I'd consider retiring the MK if I could get all the MK, XL and + sounds from a single unit.

I'm told that the MK and XL engines sound different and each have their fans. I adore the sound of the original MK.

Now that I think about it, I bet the question of whether an MK patch sounds "better" on the MK or XL depends as much on the specific patch as on the listener's taste. I'll probably have to expand my rig.

I'd still love some feedback from someone who has experience with this.

retro-futurism now

hear my retro-futurist synth music at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com

listen to, join Satellite 5 by visiting sat-5.com
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they can't be loaded. you can spend time painstakingly reprogramming them, but they won't sound identical. The two synthesizers are vastly different in sound quality. The newer XL is derived from the R3 which is cut down from the Radias. They have by nature quite a clean and modern sound.

The original MK was an almost 1:1 copy of the MS2000 in a smaller package. The sound engine was intended to celebrate the harsher grittier qualities of the old MS 20.

In my opinion (I have the Radias), you can get close if you know what you're doing, but it needs to be tuned by ear because for example a value of 25 for cutoff on the MK does not sound the same as a value 25 on the Radias/R3/etc.
Also correctly choosing the right amount of drive and the correct waveshaper to use in some cases - the per-voice distortion on the original MK is rather unique if not very adjustable.

Korg did some conversion at some point for the original MK and MS2000 factory presets, that I think are available to download for the R3 and MicroKorg XL. Perhaps this is what you heard about before.

Ultimately they are just two different synths. They aren't related at all. The only reason the new MicroKorg XL and XL+ are named 'microKorg' is because of the formfactor and presumably trying to cash in on the popularity and cult status of the original. The newer sound engine is more complex though, more programmable, and more flexible. Which is why I say that the XL can get close to the original MK sound if programmed right, but additionally take you to sounds that you'd never get out of the original.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
AEJOTZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the great info!

I'll probably spring for an XL+ before this time next year. I just blew my seasonal synth "allowance" on a Minibrute.

The 'brute is a blast but my MK is till my favorite. It's almost a chore sometimes to play some of my other boards but the MK is always like playing with a new Xmas toy.

retro-futurism now

hear my retro-futurist synth music at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com

listen to, join Satellite 5 by visiting sat-5.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: