Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to exclude the keyboard from midi signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveDiamond

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: How to exclude the keyboard from midi signal Reply with quote

I Have a question about midi signals.

I connected my Korg X50 (MIDI OUT) to Volca Keys (MIDI IN).

When i start some arpeggios or rythms on X50, obviously the MIDI signal will perfectly sync the Volca Keys (if i start some pattern in memory on Volca Keys)
But i can't play anything on X50, because if i play some notes on X50 these notes will be also played on Volca Keys.
I can't figure out if there is a way to exclude the keyboard of X50 from the midi signal.. In practice: i wish to let the rythm of X50 will lead Volca Keys (with patterns on the memory, synced with the rythms) and in the meantime i wish to play on the X50, without send these notes to Volca Keys.

Some hints?

Thank you
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the midi channel of the volca to something other than channel 1, like channel 14.

It will receive midi clock, because that is a global message that's not assigned to a specific channel, but it won't respond to midi notes from the X50 because those will usually be on channel 1, or channels 1-8 for combis. You can also edit combis or multis on the X50 to change the midi channel that it uses for each part. Normally each part is assigned to the same number for the midi channel, so part 3 will be midi channel 3.
DaveDiamond

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've tried to edit midi channels for a Combi (under COMBI 2:Ed-TimbreParam) changing every midi channels different from 01. But the situation is the same. Why?

Instead, change the midi channel of the Volca (eg channel 13), works fine, but i can no longer use the pitch on X50 to change intonation of Volca.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volca will respond to any midi notes it receives on the midi channel it's set to. Playing notes on the X50 keybed will transmit to channel 1. I think that's because it's the global midi channel it's set to.

The volca isn't smart enough to pick and choose which midi messages it uses or ignores. So if you change the midi channel it listens to for the notes, that will be the same channel it's using for pitch bend and other midi CC values. So if you want to use pitchbend but not notes from the keyboard, then you need a midi keyboard controller that can do it. I don't think the X50 can do that. It has midi filter settings that lets you turn off some things, but not notes while leaving pitchbend.

Why do you even want to use the volca with the X50? The X50 is at least 100 times more powerful and better. You can make a split on the X50 that can cover anything that the vulca can do and more. Sorry, I'm not a vulca fan. I've got too much gear that's better than vulca. When I want pitchbend, I buy keys that have it and don't buy ones that don't. I have a Novation X-Station 25 that blows the vulca keys away. It wasn't expensive. It has an awesome aftertouch keybed, built-in USB audio I/O, fully editable synth, and great midi controller capability, all-in-one. Vulca keys is a toy by comparison, and a poor value too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: