Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sell Kronos and buy a Virus? (not a vs thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I think PolySix and MS20 are great for funk!

absolutely, the vowel lead from the ms20 is instant funk !
also the polysix is fantastic and very recognisable for those styles.
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
if you are mainly playing the styles of JMJ, Jan Hammer. 80's and Funk then i don't find the virus ti a good choice, although it can do it's work especially on the lead area i think there are better solutions for those styles. But since you have had a virus ti desktop you know what you can do with it and how it sounds, so if you want one again then i think it's a good choice based on your previous experience with it.

I also use a virus ti, but mainly for dance and trance sounds. One thing i would suggest is to look at the tone control area of your kronos by pressing the tone control button. I have a feeling that not many people use it and you can do quite a lot with it. You can even assign your own parameter preferences to it, so that would make the use of the touch screen a lot less needed. Off course you still need the touch screen for the fine tuning things, but that's the same on a virus ti where you also need to dive into the menus for finetuning things.

I recently wached this video.
http://youtu.be/EbxHg2sdPKk
Since it's two years since I had the Virus TI2 desktop module, I needed a reminder. I agree that the Virus is a great Trance synth, but I think it's great for any analog type sound also, it's also how I remember it.

You have a great point. There is a certain degree of menudiving , but I remember it as being quick to navigate. It's only an addition to an already layed out frontpanel with named knobs and buttons.
But you certainly make me think that I'm for some reason haven't been
patient enough with the Kronos for some reason and I agree, it sort of deserves another chance. The difference isn't THAT great either, but maby the small things makes the big difference for me. I'm not sure.

It's nice to get this kind of input, helps me decide what to do after sleeping on it. Smile
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sell Kronos and buy a Virus? (not a vs thread) Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
robinkle wrote:
If there ever will be a MOD-7 knobby synth I would have no problem buying one. But there is no synth like that now
If I sell my Kronos there is a chance I will miss MOD-7, because of my gear sluttyness, and because that I really like FM synthesis.

ON a side note... you might want to keep your eyes out for a used Yamaha DX200. Also, check out the iPad apps, TF7 and DXi.

I even consider Reason and the PX7.
DX200 is the kind of interface I'm looking for, should have been bigger though. Touch screens and computer editors/VST isn't that intuitive compared to knobs I think.

I actually liked programing the DX7IIFD, press button, cursor, move slider. Not as hard as people say. I might get one later to compensate on the loss of MOD-7 perhaps if I decide to let go of the Kronos.

Setup change: Kronos and XV-3080 VS XV-3080, DX7II, Virus TI2 Keyboard.

I actually might like it.
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I think PolySix and MS20 are great for funk!

Indeed yes. I tend to get funky sounds from FM as well. Basses and EP's.
The XV-3080 got tons of funky sounds as well. Especially the Drums and Bass and Vintage synth expansions.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you have a decent DAW setup but since there is no benefit for you programming wise, FM8 is a very capable FM synth to keep on the side.

If you're bent on replacing the K with an inspiring knobby synth I would also really consider a Nord Lead 4. They're very funky and while not the most vintage sounding per se, they have a great character well suited to JMJ AND funk. The 4 is wonderfully alive sounding.
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't know if you have a decent DAW setup but since there is no benefit for you programming wise, FM8 is a very capable FM synth to keep on the side.

If you're bent on replacing the K with an inspiring knobby synth I would also really consider a Nord Lead 4. They're very funky and while not the most vintage sounding per se, they have a great character well suited to JMJ AND funk. The 4 is wonderfully alive sounding.

I use both Logic 9 and Cubase 7. I've used FM8 as a demo. If I could only like programing with a mouse. PX7 is quite easier I think but still. Hardware FM is the way to go. I agree on the NL4 it's a great alternative.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like programming by mouse either. I just figured since you don't like programming Mod7 either it wouldn't be too much of a setback and you'd have a very good FM engine.
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't like programming by mouse either. I just figured since you don't like programming Mod7 either it wouldn't be too much of a setback and you'd have a very good FM engine.

Yes. It's a natural suggestion. Smile
I think DX7II D/FD hardware synth would be the best for me. I've had one and I sort of miss it. It will cover most FM needs. I sold it because I bought Kronos Razz.

Well all this buying and selling cost alot Razz. I think I've almost decided.
Selling Kronos would be obvious for me, it sounds crazy though but I need an instrument that inspire me by having hands on frontpanel suited for programing sounds.

VA synth for classic analogue type sounds and SFX JMJ stuff:
I will give the NL4 some testing in a local store. It got a very intuitive frontpanel. So does a Nord wave.
A Virus is what I probably will go for, mostly because of Polyphony, multitimbrality, 5 octaves and intuitive interface.

Rompler:
XV-3080 got me covered with funky and bread'n butter sounds.

FM synth:
Add a DX synth to cover the FM needs for 80's and Jan Hammer Sounds.

These are instruments that should complement eachother nicely.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is the new Nord Lead A1 to be released in March April. It has all the features of the A4 but was specifically built to simplify programming and achieve your sound goals much faster. Very nice features and street price seems to be well worth it. ($1799) I'm giving it consideration and also have thoughts and feelings about moving on from Kronos for the same reasons you posted. Check it out there are some very nice videos…

I was waiting to see whether Access would be bringing forth a new TI3 but it didn't happen as of yet. Also there are just too many posts about the TI's functionality with a DAW.
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Another option is the new Nord Lead A1 to be released in March April. It has all the features of the A4 but was specifically built to simplify programming and achieve your sound goals much faster. Very nice features and street price seems to be well worth it. I'm giving it consideration and also have thoughts and feelings about moving on from Kronos for the same reasons you posted. Check it out there are some very nice videos…

I was waiting to see whether Access would be bringing forth a new TI3 but it didn't happen as of yet. Also there are just too many posts about the TI's functionality with a DAW.

I've seen some A1 videos, it sounds very nice as far as I can tell. It looks a bit limited though. But it's typical clavia to make deep synthesis available on the frontpanel in a smart way.

My local dealer did speak to Access about any new future Viruses few weeks ago, and they were pretty busy with their Kempler Amps, the sister company Kempler, and there was no new Viruses in the near future.

I was thinking of getting a second hand TI2 Keyboard though.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you completely misjudge the sound of the Virus from the video above. The Kronos offers much more for funk than the Access Virus will ever do.

The Virus is an extremely flexible board concerning VA pogramming for various styles. And it always nails the basics of all these styles, but not more, except for dance and ambience sounds: it neither has natural deep fat basses (you have to eq them most of the time) nor does it have a vivid high range in the leads.

In fact the leads from a TI / TI2, for any other than trance and ambient sounds, do sound quite dreadful in my ears when played in loud band context: they do sound like they have no vivid overdtones, just some artificial dead high end. In comparison to my Moogs they always have been too artificial sounding for my band mates as well: they don't like to hear soloing from this synth.

The TI can be a real chameleon in the midrange, especially for modern dance sounds, and that makes it so desirable for many. But it is no genuine funk, r&b and electric jazz synth at all from my view. And I DO like it for what it still delivers.

I even found the video a bit misleading, because my Virus TI definitely does not sound as warm as this demo did sound (perhaps postprocessed?).

Dark, yes, but not vivid and juicy and really warm at all (in the sense of let's say an Oberheim), and that is needed for funk. Even the Kingkorg VA offers much more analog-like character than the TI does for such kinds of music.

Concerning the TI, I even bought a Virus RackXL again recently, and maybe will sell my TI keyboard, because in my ears the C series has a slightly better, more natural VA sound than the TI has. It fits better into the sonic context of Kronos, Moogs and Kingkorg here IMHO, because it is a little less mid range centered, and it sounds to me like it offers a bit more overtone quality. But that's just my impression.
robinkle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I think you completely misjudge the sound of the Virus from the video above. The Kronos offers much more for funk than the Access Virus will ever do.

The Virus is an extremely flexible board concerning VA pogramming for various styles. And it always nails the basics of all these styles, but not more, except for dance and ambience sounds: it neither has natural deep fat basses (you have to eq them most of the time) nor does it have a vivid high range in the leads.

In fact the leads from a TI / TI2, for any other than trance and ambient sounds, do sound quite dreadful in my ears when played in loud band context: they do sound like they have no vivid overdtones, just some artificial dead high end. In comparison to my Moogs they always have been too artificial sounding for my band mates as well: they don't like to hear soloing from this synth.

The TI can be a real chameleon in the midrange, especially for modern dance sounds, and that makes it so desirable for many. But it is no genuine funk, r&b and electric jazz synth at all from my view. And I DO like it for what it still delivers.

I even found the video a bit misleading, because my Virus TI definitely does not sound as warm as this demo did sound (perhaps postprocessed?).

Dark, yes, but not vivid and juicy and really warm at all (in the sense of let's say an Oberheim), and that is needed for funk. Even the Kingkorg VA offers much more analog-like character than the TI does for such kinds of music.

Concerning the TI, I even bought a Virus RackXL again recently, and maybe will sell my TI keyboard, because in my ears the C series has a slightly better, more natural VA sound than the TI has. It fits better into the sonic context of Kronos, Moogs and Kingkorg here IMHO, because it is a little less mid range centered, and it sounds to me like it offers a bit more overtone quality. But that's just my impression.

Actually I share your impression about the Virus Ti. The funky stuff i mentioned are basically covered by the XV-3080 and FM. I need sharp EP's and punchy basses. But for the mid range JMJ stuff is where The virus fits inn in my opinion because I don't want that part of the music to dominate the EP's and Bass, or drums for that matter. The virus feels soft airy kinda, there is some Oxygene to it, especially the phaser effect which I think is great. Smile
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

+1 !

I only use the virus ti for dance and ambient and then it shines like a bright star, but for every other purpose it's a midrange sounding synth in my opinion.

The mentioned Nord Lead 4 is a fantastic sounding synth, but the sound is a little bit more cold and in your face then other comparable VA synths. The Nord A1 isn't a Nord Lead 4, although it has parts of the NL4 engine it's quite limited in what you can do with it. For instance when using the shape function for Osc 1 then you loose Osc 2. I wouldn't recommend it, if you want a great Nord sound then go for the NL4 instead of the A1.

Another nice synth would be the King Korg. The filter models are really great and it has lots of oscs and waves to create your sound with. Also it has a third Oscillator (the nl4 only has two). I find the sound of the King Korg warmer then the NL4 which makes the king korg more suitable for the styles you mentioned. But i think the king korg has a big overlap with the Kronos. Although it would be nice if we get the filter models on the kronos (which would be a big step up for the kronos filters).

One thing to think of is the work method you are using, if you want use all your sounds together without prerecording them during a project then polyphony is a big issue. I heared you say that you can use 16 channels on the Virus TI. Although this is true in theory, you will never reach that amount of channels in reality. You can trick your way by splitting heavy patches on odd and even channels (because one dsp is reserved for even channels and another dsp is reserved for odd channels) but even then i think the max of channels you can use stops around 6 till 8. That shouldn't be a problem if you are also using lot's of VST instruments but it's something you have to be aware of.
robinkle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

+1 !

I only use the virus ti for dance and ambient and then it shines like a bright star, but for every other purpose it's a midrange sounding synth in my opinion.

The mentioned Nord Lead 4 is a fantastic sounding synth, but the sound is a little bit more cold and in your face then other comparable VA synths. The Nord A1 isn't a Nord Lead 4, although it has parts of the NL4 engine it's quite limited in what you can do with it. For instance when using the shape function for Osc 1 then you loose Osc 2. I wouldn't recommend it, if you want a great Nord sound then go for the NL4 instead of the A1.

Another nice synth would be the King Korg. The filter models are really great and it has lots of oscs and waves to create your sound with. Also it has a third Oscillator (the nl4 only has two). I find the sound of the King Korg warmer then the NL4 which makes the king korg more suitable for the styles you mentioned. But i think the king korg has a big overlap with the Kronos. Although it would be nice if we get the filter models on the kronos (which would be a big step up for the kronos filters).

One thing to think of is the work method you are using, if you want use all your sounds together without prerecording them during a project then polyphony is a big issue. I heared you say that you can use 16 channels on the Virus TI. Although this is true in theory, you will never reach that amount of channels in reality. You can trick your way by splitting heavy patches on odd and even channels (because one dsp is reserved for even channels and another dsp is reserved for odd channels) but even then i think the max of channels you can use stops around 6 till 8. That shouldn't be a problem if you are also using lot's of VST instruments but it's something you have to be aware of.

I've heard tons of demos of the nord lead synths and I agree, the nl4 and nla1 sounds great. I think you describe them pretty well, I think they are funky. I think also from the demos I've heard of the KingKorg it's a bit of the same, there is a certain bite to it. The Virus TI sounds a bit more lush and Dreamy kind of.

Since the New keyboard will be my only keyboard, I would need 5 octaves when I play piano sounds (XV-3080). So that cuts down the alternatives.
Virus TI , KingKorg, Accelerator, P12, Solaris.

Since I focus on midi, I don't do much sampling. I will need multitimbrality,
so that cuts down a few more (bi-timbral doesn't cut it). Leaving
Virus TI, Accelerator.

Then it comes down to price.
Virus TI

There are many Virus TI's out there, I can buy one for less then what I sell the Kronos for.

I got the funky biting sounds covered on the Roland XV-3080.
And I got the mid range background, JMJ, effects stuff stuff from the Virus.
And at last classic FM synth for Jan Hammer style 80's sounds from a DX synth.

I think it helps narrowing things down a bit. But the desision isn't made.
Even though 4 octaves is a bit limiting for piano playing, I will still check out the NL4. I like the nord interface and sound. 4 part multitimbral isn't bad either. I'll give it a test.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinkle wrote:

I think it helps narrowing things down a bit. But the desision isn't made.
Even though 4 octaves is a bit limiting for piano playing, I will still check out the NL4. I like the nord interface and sound. 4 part multitimbral isn't bad either. I'll give it a test.

it will sound really good, quite different than a virus ti. But based on your description i think a virus ti would be a much better choice. For instance the Total recall funtion in a DAW or the usb sound streaming in your daw and the large polyphony would make it a better choice in my opinion.

The NL4 is 4 parts multitimbral but only 24 voices, so that's not really much compared to a Virus TI, also the keyboard of a virus TI is much better then NL4 (which lacks aftertouch and feels quite plastic).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: