Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of buying kross - some questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyfontana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Thinking of buying kross - some questions Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm considering buying a kross 61 but have some doubts and I'd like to see if owners can help me solve. I'll list them below, hope this doesn't bother anybody, I think it will be easier this way. I've read the manual time ago but would like some real owner answers if possible.

1. Can the sequencer output midi out to external modules?
1b. Can the sequencer record knob movements and sound variations?
1c. How long can sequencer songs be?

2. Does the kross have an analog type step sequencer? I know it has an electribe type step sequencer for drums, I'm wondering if it has something similar for note input.

3. How many max steps does the drum step sequencer have? The electribe had somthing like 64.

4. Does the kross have internal resampling/mixdown into the audio tracks? I remember reading so but would like confirmation from owners.

5. Can I resample the audio tracks through internal fx? I think I read it cannot.

6. Due to lack of knobs and realtime controllers I'd like to use an external midi controller to add knobs and control cutoff, resonance, envelopes, etc. but I downloaded the midi spec from korg webpage (simple txt file) and I couldn't understand much. I'm used to typical and simple CC# but the kross seems to be more complex (sysex?). Could I buy a cheapo midi knob controller or a bcr2000 or drumpad and be able to set it up to control program parameters, trigger, etc?
I read a thread on the krome where it was problematic due to extra long sysex used and positive and negative values. Will I encounter the same problem? Anybody succesfully controlling their kross with external knobs without much trouble? if so which controller are you using? I'm talking in typical synth fashion, like you would with a nord lead.

7. How's the keybed quality? I read not very good (expected for the price) but I'm not a keyboardist so unless it's completely crap or breaks easily I have no problem.

8. Is the kross an appropiate keyboard for synthetists and electronic music rather than more traditional/live players and music styles? I literally only know major and minor chords, though I expect to improve, and I'm used to xox sequencers and elektron, virus and similar machines.

9. Are drum kits and drum sounds fully editable? I think I read so in the manual.

Again, I'm sorry for all the questions and exam type post. I read the manual some weeks ago and also viewed the korg manual videos, but I have bad memory and really want first hand experience accounts.

Thanks for any help.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great questions - I'll be looking for the answers myself when the higher-ups post them! The Only one I can contribute to is #7:- yes, the keybed looks like it won't break, but doesn't really feel like a keyboard should. As a pianist since the 50's, hammond organist since '69, and synth player since the 80's, I keep trying to adjust to it. The sounds can be responsive, but it's a bit of work making it so. One's fingers keep riding up towards the back of the keys, especially the black notes, not sure why, and if you finger the black notes too far back, they won't sound. I bet Korg worked really really hard to make this keybed feel as musical as possible, given the weight of the whole unit But reality is reality. I keep switching the velocity curves: now I'm back to #3, because I have a fairly hard touch. I was on #9 (meant for 88-noters) for a long while. But in your case, coming from a different set of priorities, it shouldn't be a problem.

Me, I like the Novation ReMOTE keybeds a lot, but they have aftertouch too. (does Fatar make them?) I love the Roland V-Synth keybed. Also has aftertouch. The Korg Pa-1x has a great keybed, but is also much more pricey, and has aftertouch. For me, even the X-50 keybed is a little better. I liked the DX7 keybed, but that had AT and it was long long ago. You know how it is - you get used to these things. The 88 note keybed is okay!

But the sounds on the Kross are great, and it's totally easy to get deep into playing it. So the keybed isn't that bad after all is said and done.
jimmyfontana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tommy, thanks a lot for the answer. I think I read another thread where you mentioned changing the velocity curves and getting good enough results. It really helps your answer because it was one of my biggest concerns and now it doesn't worry me anymore. I expect it to be an economic keybed, if it were necessary one can always use another one through the midi in. I'm no keyboardist, I just need it not to break.

I checked the manual again and found answers to many of my questions:

1. Can the sequencer output midi out to external modules?
Yes, both internal and or external
1b. Can the sequencer record knob movements and sound variations?
Yes, though I'm not very clear if both or either CC and sysex and to what extent and limitation. Hopefully someone can clear this out.
1c. How long can sequencer songs be?
210000 notes or something. Sounds enough for me

2. Does the kross have an analog type step sequencer?
I think not, but arpegiator and loop recording and editing should probably be enough to emulate it. Step sequencer seems limited to drum tracks.

3. How many max steps does the drum step sequencer have?
64, like electribes.

4. Does the kross have internal resampling/mixdown into the audio tracks?
You can record external audio or mixdown internal sequencer, playing and such. Don't think there's resampling of already recorded audio and not sure on overdubbing. Maybe someone can clear.

5. Can I resample the audio tracks through internal fx?
Don't think so, only master fx applied to external audio in.

6. Could I buy a cheapo midi knob controller or a bcr2000 or drumpad and be able to set it up to control program parameters, trigger, etc?
It seems so but need real experience testimony on the ease of it. It seems it can record CC normally or sysex. I would guess setting an external controller to a midi channel and then a knob to a CC# should do the trick. Still not sure.

9. Are drum kits and drum sounds fully editable?
Editable enough, including sample, tuning, xfade, EG attack decay, filter and resonance. Good enough.

The only question I'm specially worried about is 6 and if I can get an opinion on 8 by someone more on the synth side of things it would be great.

Thanks a lot.
jimmyfontana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the parameter guide pdf and it seems the sequencer does record most data recieved from controllers.

Them, on page 303 there's a table for CC#s for external controllers, with numbers for filter cutoff and such, but I'm not sure if one can control both filters independently or what. Hopefully someone can clear this out.

All in all, I'll probably be purchasing the kronos soon and some midi controller after some testing. It's a cheap board, so it doesn't really worry me if it has some kinks or need some workarounds here or there, and I can use it as sketchpad or sequencer for external modules.

Still, if someone with experience using external knob controllers can chime in it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
shaneblyth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know if you find out more i am particularly interested in the external controller with sliders like a nanokontrol to adjust volumes of individual patched in a combi. I like making adjustments on the fly to tweak balances
Macbook Air 13"
Mainstage 3
dadabujontomasteel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also let us know when you have this sorted out.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: