Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electro-Harmonix 8 Step Sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pugface

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Electro-Harmonix 8 Step Sequencer Reply with quote

I just bought this:

http://www.ehx.com/products/8-step-program

it looks like a perfect partner for the MS20 mini. Using 0 to 5vdc control voltages as its output.

Any body used it yet here? any tips?

On Paper it seems to be able to solve the midi sync problem that the LFO and filters have within the Ms20 by creating its own synced LFO going in to the MS20 patch bay.
Will see.
Bassface78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received mine in the mail a few hours ago. I can't figure it out. I tried several things but no luck. Any Tips?
pugface

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassface78 wrote:
I just received mine in the mail a few hours ago. I can't figure it out. I tried several things but no luck. Any Tips?

I have still to receive mine. I have great plans for it. It does not have a trigger out so it cant send CV and note triggering but midi is better for that any way. So its going to be used as either a filter/envelope modulation sequencer and anything else that I can patch it in to like LFO depth or sample /hold> I think its midi implementation suggests it could have step changes of glide even though its front end is global per whole sequence but using ableton a step of cc should give it that all important glide between notes. I am going to see.

tell me how you get on.

Other things I want to try out is if its possible to use the Ms20's momentary switch to step on the sequencer. Also to use the Ms20's lfo to determine its rate.
It looks like a good partner for the Ms20.
Bassface78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally figured it out! The main thing is that the cable going from the cv out on the pedal into the VCO 1+2/or VCO 2 cv in MUST BE MONO! Smile
That was the mistake I made. You don't need to run the ms20 into to the ehx pedal to run a normal sequencer, in fact it takes only 1 cable that I mentioned above to make it run. So this way it works more like an arpeggiator a.e. when you touch a key it starts the sequence.

Also be sure glide is at 0 on the Step 8 when you begin!

There is a way to make it self trigger by running the M.G. square out to the trig in on the far right side; this way you can twiddle the knobs to your hearts content. Smile
I have taken a picture of both setups which I will put on to my flicker page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/108797077@N08/
el_hombre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds pretty sweet, looking forward to hearing some clips/seeing some vids or this...
pugface

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I got mine Saturday. And found it to work very well.

It seems to be exactly what I thought it would be. I found out the glide and depth affect the 1 to 5vdc output a lot. Setting the 8steps depth to about 4 and then adjusting the Ms20's modulation amounts in total allows the depth adjustment to be at a level the gives performance flexibility.

Patching the 8steps CV out to the patchbay's VCA control in and using any source LFO/Sample-hold/Envelope/Noise/External/Mod wheel yields lots of results. Patching the output of that VCA to total is what gives the most flexibility.

I would recommend everybody who has an Ms20 to get one of these EHX 8 steps. it transforms the Ms20's patchbay in to the midi world. The 8step works really well with the Ms20. the units are very competitively priced.

I found its possible to get the voltage levels of the 8steps output to trigger envelopes. (trigger in ENV1 or ENV2) as the envelope trigger needs a state change of 0 to >3 vdc approx. so a simple 4 note (enveloped) sequence can be managed even though the 8 step has no trigger out. But to be honest this is what MIDI does anyway so its a little pointless.

My next experiment is going to be to set the 8step to sequence 'one' step and use the unit as a Midi CV convertor!!!!!!!!!!
Opening the 8step unit up to for being a supersonic oodlebob to the ms20.
el_hombre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most encouraging!
I found out that the store I bought my mini from has one of these and up until recently, the synth guy there had it jacked up to the demo MS20. Gonna go dwn in the weekend and see if I can get him to demo it for me.
pugface

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_hombre wrote:
Most encouraging!
I found out that the store I bought my mini from has one of these and up until recently, the synth guy there had it jacked up to the demo MS20. Gonna go dwn in the weekend and see if I can get him to demo it for me.

yes its really good for the ms20. has a stable clock too.
one little tip. going from preset mode to "e" mode. this is a little hidden in the otherwise good manual. 'e' mode is performance mode where you can adjust the level out, glide, etc; the manual says about pressing the mode button to move in out of the two modes. what it doesn't say is that you have to press it for atleast 3 secs to exit e mode to go to preset mode. but press it very quickly to go from preset mode to e mode. its ergonomically nice to use is the 8 step too.

rate out can go all the way up to 50 hz (not in midi sync though). so it can act as a fast but not sonic lfo.

be patient with finding the right settings of adjustments in the ms20. but that's what the ms20 is like anyway. ("the reverse action of the sustain in EG2!!!!" comes to mind).
it works really nice with getting it to drive the HPF cut off freq.
el_hombre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sound sgreat, I have visions of dialling up rhumbling sequences to have running upderneath my band while it's playing, or using it to running some sweet, proggy stuff in quieter passages.
raveboyy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you program it to make sequence with a tb-303-like accent???
pugface

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raveboyy wrote:
can you program it to make sequence with a tb-303-like accent???

No individual steps are not able to have glide switched on or off.

The glide though is controllable and very effective but affects all steps.

The 8step can be sent to either or both MS20 filters so if you have midi note coming in to Ms20 with 8 step sending Filter CV then you have a accent control on all steps. Also the total amount sent is also live adjustable too which is really neat for sweeping affects.
You can send an envelope to the 8Step from the Ms20 to control this amount! And the glide amount too! And the Step length! And the rate! This control is amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: