Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OASYS and patches for the Plugins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: OASYS and patches for the Plugins Reply with quote

And so I've loaded DX7 patches in Sysex format into the OASYS and accessed them using the MOD-7 engine. Can I do the same for the Polysix engine and the MS20? In other words, load Sysex patches....

I think those are the same plugs from the Korg Legacy collection.
Does that mean the OASYS will load presets in the ".fxb" format for those two engines? I have the KORG Legacy collection and was wondering if there was a way to port my library over- or import additional sounds.
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OASYS and patches for the Plugins Reply with quote

Griffin Avid wrote:
Polysix engine and the MS20.....I think those are the same plugs from the Korg Legacy collection.....I have the KORG Legacy collection and was wondering if there was a way to port my library over- or import additional sounds.

They're not the same. The OASYS versions of those synths have many more options (hint: check out the gray boxes with additional modulation). Korg did a great job with the MOD-7/DX conversion, but didn't do that for the other synth engines.

For instance, you would think OASYS could import M3 programs, but that's not the case.
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see.
So does that mean the OASYS can read .fxb (VST preset format) or only SYSEX?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin Avid wrote:
Oh, I see.
So does that mean the OASYS can read .fxb (VST preset format) or only SYSEX?

SYSEX is a standard form for MIDI data dumps.

The OASYS and Kronos can only read specifically the Yamaha DX7 SYSEX (and related products possibly) format.

It can't read any form of .FXB or .FXP file (generic VSTi patch/bank format files), even those from Korg's software plugins.

However you should find a lot of the Legacy Cell presets appear to already be available in factory or additional official content.

The PolySix and MS20 in the Oasys, as Mike Conway said, are significantly improved with extra features compared to the desktop software versions, so the data is already somewhat incompatible.
I believe the choice to make the conversion of yamaha DX7 patches possible is because of the incredible popularity of this format, being THE definitive FM synth. There are literally tens of thousands of patches for that format available, and FM synthesis is unusually complex and fine detailed, making the availability of a breadth of premade patches even more important.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: