Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Semi weighted controller keyboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLABLABLA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Semi weighted controller keyboard Reply with quote

I want a semi weighted controller keyboard with a pitch/modulation like korg keyboards have (not divided to two separate wheels).
What other companies make these kinds of keyboards? can you recommend on some controller keyboards like this?
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland A-70 has a wiggle stick and you can also add a couple of expansion board to put sounds in it.

Most of the new controllers (I haven't found one yet that doesn't, but I won't say "all") feel crappy to play: they're really cheaping out on the keybeds, so if feel is important to you, absolutely try them out first.

Another route is to go used on an older synth that has the features you want and use it as a controller only. Tony Banks did that on the last Genesis tour: he used his old Korg Wavestation as a controller only- no audio hookups, only MIDI Out.

..Joe
BLABLABLA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a great weighted controller keyboard but for somethings, especially hammonds, I prefer a semi weighted keyboard.
The roland a-70 doesn't look like what I'm looking for. too many buttons. I'm looking for either a controller keyboard like the Axiom AIR:

http://halilit.com/product/3569/Axiom-AIR-61

It has a few faders, a few knobs and a few touch pads. But no wiggle stick..
The other option is to get a semi weighted with no buttons or anything else, and to use a separate controller that has only knobs and other stuff on it. like the LPD8:

http://halilit.com/product/2500/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%98%D7%97-%D7%A9%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%98%D7%94-LPD8)

I would love to hear more suggestions about keyboards like that.
I am also open for suggestions about non weighted keyboards that fit the description
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the "too many buttons" part- they put on only as many as they needed, no more. That would just be a waste to have more buttons on it than they had controls for.

It's a controller- it's designed to control other units, hence the buttons for things like Bank Select, Program Select, MIDI implementation, splits, layers, etc.

Did you download the manual and see if it's what you're looking for? Because it's considered to be an excellent 76-note controller. If that isn't what you're looking for, I'm not too sure what's out there in 76-note keybeds that will fit your needs of no wheels.

Also check out the Roland A-33, but that's not as feature-rich.

..Joe
BLABLABLA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the A-70 and the A-33 are not semi weighted..
Examples of a semi weighted keyboard are the M-AUDIO - Keystation 61es
or the Nord Electro 3 73
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the novation sl mk11 series?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up second-hand Roland A33 (76-key) - awesome feel and nice OS and operation design - great for performing.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "semi-weighted," please.

..Joe
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that sits between any regular keyboard key-feel and that of a true "piano-key" feel.
The weighted keybeds emulate a Piano-key feel, semi-weighted is a lighter feel - about half the full weight feel.

Please note, I don't play piano, so playing a fully weighted keybed is like trying to run under water for me.
I find the semi-weighted perfect, they give you some control with velocity without limiting speed etc..
My PA3X-76 and Roland A33 have fantastic semi-weighted feels.

So it is basically how it is named - semi (half) weighted that of a piano feel

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Something that sits between any regular keyboard key-feel and that of a true "piano-key" feel.
The weighted keybeds emulate a Piano-key feel, semi-weighted is a lighter feel - about half the full weight feel.

Pete Very Happy

Again, I go back to the A-70. It's not a piano keyboard, it's a 76-note weighted synth-action controller.

"Semi-weighted" is more of a marketing term than an actual style of keybed. Lead (later steel or aluminum) weights under keys - to only partially weight them - goes back decades. If it has weights, it's "weighted,: not "semi-weighted." Semi-weighted would actually be only every other key having weights! Smile

Roland just used the term "organ touch" here. Note that they also state "weighted" in the literature.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/446

That's why I asked him to explain it: I think we're posting at cross-purposes about the same thing.

And while it has no aftertouch, I just picked up a Roland Juno-Stage, and I absolutely love the keyboard on it.

That stated, IMO the best 76-key controller ever made is the Yamaha KX76: it had an unbelievably good feel. But it was heavy, hard to program, old now, and I'm an idiot for ever selling mine...

..Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: