Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you use? Recommendations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a little bit on Cubase several years ago. I know exactly what you mean. Editing on my AW16G is a pain. It can be done but with the limited number of tracks, it can get a bit crazy. Plus the limited number of effects gets to be a drag. I never did figure out how to print the effected channel so I could open up another one. I've got the bass guitar running through an amp sim so that leaves just one effect.

He couldn't meet me last night so tonight I get my mixer! Very Happy

The next step is the computer. We're shaping around right now to see what would be best for my needs. Pretty much set in a PC direction.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Are you comfortable building your own? If so, consider using parts from this building guide;
http://www.tonymacx86.com/420-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-april-2014.html

That way it will be a breeze to slap in another hard disk and install OSX at some point if you do feel like making the switch (or just trying it out).

EDIT: Errrm I just remembered you want a laptop, so then it's kinda moot.
Why, though? You can get a much cheaper desktop with much better performance and better expandability for less money. Seems like you wouldn't really move it around much anyway, with that chunky 16.4.2 attached?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got my mixer! Very Happy

Now it's on to the computer. We've lost the idea of a laptop and decided to go with a standard tower style for all the reasons you mentioned and a few more. I'm not to stressed about building one myself, it's not that hard but I'm thinking of just buying one. My wife thinks it's the best route and were kind of thinking about this one.

http://www.musicxpc.com/s9.php

It looks like it will be all I will need for quite a long time. But it is expensive.

I think she is setting me up for something big that she wants! Wink probably not though.i think she just loves me!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty nice! I'm running almost that exact same system - i7 3770, 120GB boot SSD, 8GB RAM and a bunch of large drives for storage.

Only you can decide whether you want less money or less headache Wink
I don't know what the case goes for but this definitely looks buildable for under 1K.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what we're thinking. After taxes it becomes $2,000 and that s a lot! Shocked
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow yeah that is hefty. I dunno, I'm too cheap to buy off the shelf, good luck deciding. You're definitely getting a kick ass system in any case (zing!), I hope you enjoy your new setup.

And prepare to be sucked into the world of software instruments and fx. There are never ending sales muahahaha

Audio Deluxe and PluginDiscounts.com are nice sites to check from time to time.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know. That's one of the main reasons that I always wanted to stay away form using a computer for recording.

Quick question here. Does your computer have a midi interface? A midi card for example? I'm just wondering how I would go about using the Cubase sequncer. I realize that with my Kronos can just use the USB but with all of my other synthes I have to use MIDI because like me, they are OLD! Smile

I suppose I might be able to run through my Kronos but I'm not sure if that' the best way.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My soundcard has two midi ports. I nearly always use just the one as I get 90 percent of my sounds from the computer. I use a simple USB/midi cable from ESI when on the road, or when I need an extra port. I also use NI Maschine, which has another set of midi I/O. Does the PreSonus not have midi?
I'm pretty sure the K doesn't pass incoming midi through to the USB connection, nor vice versa.

EDIT: also, I don't really use midi for my old synths. Some don't even have it, but mainly I'm a fan of committing to audio. If it's a bad performance, do it again, or overdub. It's too easy to get bogged down into quantizing and editing, interrupting the creative flow. But that's just my experience.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the Presonus does not have Midi. Fro many years I used my Yamaha QX-3 sequencer. I've gotten so used to it: I'm on my second one!; that I have no problems using the midid sequencer on the Kronos. They're quite similar. Very basic and no piano scroll.

I do however agree with just playing it over until you get it right and most of the time that's what I do unless my playing randomly show some (almost) genius! Wink

Then I don't mind doing a little tweaking.

What sound card do you use?

By the way. Happy Easter!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. I had one of those mobile QY100s for a while, I really liked it. Still, the difference with the computer is huge. Do yourself a favor though and learn the basic shortcut keys for zooming, navigation, splitting, and tool switching!

I use an E-MU 1820M, an older PCI based card with a breakout box that still serves me well. It has good converters and a good clock, and more ins and outs than I really need. I have two separate preamps and need a few line ins and really only two sets of outputs. It has 18 in and 20 out counting ADAT 8x8. It still works well under Win7 and (presumably) 8.

If I had to buy something new right now I'd probably go for RME (if I could afford it) and otherwise MOTU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: