Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best IDE SSD & RAM upgrade for you Korg Oasys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
synthmechanix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Best IDE SSD & RAM upgrade for you Korg Oasys Reply with quote

Just putting this out here for other Oasys owners. I recently installed a Super Talent FHM32GW25H 32GB IDE (PATA) SSD and 2GB of Kingston Hyper X KHX3200AK2/2G. I can say it boots up way faster. If you can find a Super Talent 32GB, 64GB or a 128GB IDE SSD it will be worth it. This particular Kingston RAM also helps. A full re-install of the system will be necessary cloning your old drive to the ssd will work. But in my experience trying both the full re-install is the best. I will post boot up times soon as I get a chance.

SSD and RAM to look out for:

Super Talent FHM32GW25H 32GB IDE SSD or higher

Kingston Hyper X KHX3200AK2/2G 2GB kit
Anukis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks how hard was it to reinstall the OS? Im planning on doing this. Hva bought transcend 64gb ice ssd's. Just Not sure about public id's and re registering. I have all the codes etc. Could u make a quick licy on how to reinstall the OS?
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
synthmechanix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the 1.3.1 four disc set to full format and re-install. Afterwards you may need to reauthorize your Oasys with the reauth ISO provided by Korg. Once all that is done you can update it to 1.3.3a. You will have to re-enter you codes for MOD-7,LAC-1,EXs3.
Anukis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Does the IDE hdd need to be in any master boot format before installing in the Oasys and running disks?
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
synthmechanix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No just format it with disc 1 from the 1.3.1 set and then continue with disc 2 thru 4. Make sure to backup your data if you haven't already.
Anukis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great will attempt to do oasys number 1 on weekend. So just put the ide ssd straight in without any formatting and switch on oasys and run through all disks? Should I put in disk 1 while the old hdd is still operating the os or will it open the tray when new ssd is detected and automatically ask to open?

Thanks
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
synthmechanix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First remove your old hdd and replace it with the ssd. Second reassemble the Oasys. Third turn on the Oasys and hit the eject button on the cd tray and insert Disc 1 of 4 of v1.3.1. It will have four options the first I believe being format drive and reinstall os and sounds then follow through with disc 2,3 and 4. I will try to do a write up as soon as I can. Very Happy
Anukis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthmechanix wrote:
First remove your old hdd and replace it with the ssd. Second reassemble the Oasys. Third turn on the Oasys and hit the eject button on the cd tray and insert Disc 1 of 4 of v1.3.1. It will have four options the first I believe being format drive and reinstall os and sounds then follow through with disc 2,3 and 4. I will try to do a write up as soon as I can. Very Happy

The repair guy who is Korg authorised quoted me 7 hours of work on each oasys. $100 an hour. Thats $700 for 1 oasys. Obviously 14 hours = $1400 for 2 Oasys.

Thanks to the many folks here and Synthmachanix, BOTH Oasys were done in 3 hours and both have ssd's authorised and running no problems!!

I actually did it 3 times because one of the IDE ssd's was dead. I own 2 oasys so 2 +1 (dead ssd redo transplant) = 3. So ended up taking 3 hours to do 3 times. That's 1 hour for an Oasys including loading all libraries updating and reauthorising. So Korg Australia can (*&(&^&^$^#$%#%.

I don't know how to make omelettes but I can do this. Yes this means anyone can. Its that easy.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
synthmechanix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah over here in the states they charge an arm and a leg. Thankfully I like to tearing things down and putting them back together. When I got my Oasys 76 for $500 they told me I was taking a huge risk. It was missing screws and the upper LCD cover and the video card was damaged which I still have to get one special ordered for $176.50 from Parts Is Parts. Other then that just take your time tearing it down.
Ricky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can see this post is from Septemper.
Are there any further comments to this, or is it still working?

I will buy one of these drives and install it.

I do have the following concerns about it:

a)
Everybody is talking about booting it with v.1.3.1 discs.
I only have the v. 1.1.1 discs. Will that be a problem?

b)
I don't have any experience with products from Super Talent.
Are they high quality products which I can rely on for many years?
I travel a lot, and I only have 1 Oasys. It's very important that it boots every time. That's why I wanna change to a SSD.

c)
I assume it fits perfectly without any adaptors or the like.
I mean both the holes for the screws and the connector pins.
AFAIK there's no cable, so the pins have to fit perfectly.
Am I right about this?

d)
What about power consumption?
Is it the same?
If not, can the Oasys PSU handle it?

TIA

Best regards
Ricky
synthmechanix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer to A: You can use the v1.1.1 discs also. I got the v1.3.1 discs you can get the iso's from Korg if you are a registered owner or can show proof. But it is not necessary.

Answer to B: Super Talent is up there with Kingston in quality and will last a great while. I changed mine to ssd because of the drive being damaged. As well as I bought my O76 as-is missing chassis parts and told in needed $1500 in parts and labor but all I need is a new vga card which is on backup for 90 days.

Answer to C: The ssd is plug and play just like the original hard drive.

Answer to D: Power consumption will be slightly less being there will not be a spinning hard drive disc. Therefore extending the life of the Oasys a bit longer.

Sometimes I wish I could find out who owned mine before me as I bought it from Guitar Center AS-IS for $500. There should be a Carfax for musical instruments specially high end gear.
Ricky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the answer.
The SSD disc is ordered (Same model but 128 GB version)

Looking forward to this upgrade.

Ricky
Anukis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better load times and everything is much more on the ball. Well worth it
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthmechanix,

I just found this thread and used the part number you gave to see if I could find where to buy the flash drive. I made my way to the SUper Talent web site, and also tried a search on the internet with the part # you gave. I didn't get a direct hit that I could identify as the same ssd.

On the Super Talent website they have similar part numbers on a page they call "Dura Drive " series at this URL:

http://www.supertalent.com/products/ssd_product_detail.php?parent=6&category=DuraDrive&type=52

Apparently, they make this up to 128 GB.

First, is this the correct device? Second, is there any benefit to moving up to 64 or 128 GB from the 32 GB unit you installed? Third, do you have a supplier that you normally use to purchase this component from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: