Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto-loop - has anyone successfully?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojofunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Auto-loop - has anyone successfully? Reply with quote

Have you gotten the sequencer to initiate auto loop reliably at various tempos?

As in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guJR-WxaTSY

I'm trying to make the midi files in ableton Live, and I leave a small gap after beat zero (the very beginning, putting the gap at the end actually nearly never works). It will sometimes work well at a certain tempo but then if I change the tempo, even just a bit, it skips the first time around before engaging on the second and subsequent passes (as in what happens in the video on his third loop)

This is driving me crazy. I need auto loop!

(edited for clarity)
Horvath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite remember techniques mentioned in this video, but you can take a look on the videoanswer of mine. I used to do autoloops with a separate controller (still possible without it, as far as I remember). And - seriously - with the Ableton in touch, why would you use a microSampler for looping? Ableton Live provides everything you need best way.
Gear: Kaossilator, KP3, R3, Wavedrum, microSampler, padKontrol, PX4D | Shure WH20, Godin ACS-SA, Fernandes Tremor 5X, Boss RC-50, Roland GR-20, Novation Zero SL MkII, Emagic AMT8, Soundcraft Compact 10
tonidude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horvath wrote:
I don't quite remember techniques mentioned in this video, but you can take a look on the videoanswer of mine. I used to do autoloops with a separate controller (still possible without it, as far as I remember). And - seriously - with the Ableton in touch, why would you use a microSampler for looping? Ableton Live provides everything you need best way.

When you use external midi clips, they help with the looping bit somewhat but generally the Microsampler isn't mean to be a looper or to record loops.

I thought it would be capable of being a fun looping station as well but it wasn't, hence I returned it to the shop I bought it from. Too bad samplers are a dying breed, Korg could have really made a great device here, and to some extent they did, but for me the hassling with even pre-recorded loops was too much.
mojofunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your replies. It seems that most of us who wish to use this thing in unusual ways have moved on . . . Korg definitely missed a trick by failing to include auto loop.

I am not quite ready to claim success, but after messing with the midi files in ableton (for days), and importing them into the MS (sorry this was not clear in my original post), I was actually happily looping for several hours last night, at a random variety of tempos!

Here is what I learned: there must be a tiny gap at the very beginning of the midi note trigger, and a fairly large gap at the end of the trigger note and before the end of the midi file. So, if you make an 8 measure midi file, your trigger note will be (very roughly) 7 7/8 measures long, pushed nearly flush to the start of the file, and with a larger gap at the end of the file. You can zoom in and have the gap at the beginning be pretty minuscule so as to make it line up well with any other clips being fired at that moment (I fire off one of 16 drum loops that correspond to the 16 positions of the sequencer selector), but in order to work at various tempos the gap at the far end must be fairly large - almost the entire "and" of 4 (of the 8th measure). Most of the frustrating time spent getting this all figured for me was spent trying to make this gap as short as I could get away with. When you have several events being triggered at the same time, it might possibly help to zoom way in and offset the notes by a fraction, the sequencer apparently chokes easily.

So (fingers crossed) it seems that I have an 8 track 8 measure looper with 16 drum beats, & some spoken word clips, all times 7 banks! Powered by battery! I live in a cold place, but if this remains reliable I'll be looping & busking this summer (with a Roland Ba-330 battery PA).

Thanks to all who paved the way for me on this one, and those who tolerated my frustrated posts as I worked it out. If anyone else wishes to try this and needs some help, or some screenshots, I'd be glad to help!
diegombass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Sorry but I am not a good english writer, I wish you can understand me.

I want to use the MS like an autoloop too, and I wondered if you use a switch pedal instead of the Sampling button by MIDI or you plug it in a homemade hole?
Can you record a new track in the next loop or you need to wait another one?

Thanks!
mojofunk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi diegombass, you may wish to look at these two posts for more information:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58698

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59394

You may also wish to pick up a used EHX 2880 and skip all this nonsense! Best Luck.
diegombass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough....
I really wanted a sampler+looper... the best of each one. A machine that record easyly, play quickly, with overdub, with autoloop when you want...
Maybe one day this machine could be on the market

Thanks
mojofunk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an iPad? Its a little tricky to get audio in & out (try a powered usb hub and any interface), but Beatmaker is an excellent sampler, and Loopy is an amazing looper. Mount it on a music stand, throw it in a mixer bag, and you'll have a lot of audio power that's quite portable. If you use a battery pack for the usb hub, it wont even need electrical outlets. Use a battery powered amp and do electronic music busking. Have I thought about this? Yep, I'm slowly buying the pieces right now!
diegombass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofunk wrote:
Maybe an iPad? Its a little tricky to get audio in & out (try a powered usb hub and any interface), but Beatmaker is an excellent sampler, and Loopy is an amazing looper. Mount it on a music stand, throw it in a mixer bag, and you'll have a lot of audio power that's quite portable. If you use a battery pack for the usb hub, it wont even need electrical outlets. Use a battery powered amp and do electronic music busking. Have I thought about this? Yep, I'm slowly buying the pieces right now!

Yes! This is the easier thing to do that, or a laptop, but also the most expensive option. I cannot spend that money in these things. Maybe one day...

Thanks!
SimonBorderline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diegombass wrote:
Ough....
I really wanted a sampler+looper... the best of each one. A machine that record easyly, play quickly, with overdub, with autoloop when you want...
Maybe one day this machine could be on the market

Thanks

Elektron Octatrack maybe ?
RustyKrash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Dynamic Looper Tutorial Video Reply with quote

Dynamic Looper Tutorial Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UCkwbhsynk
korakios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the fx looper and autonext sampling mode....Limited overdub with "undo-redo" steps Wink
SimonBorderline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just use the fx looper and autonext sampling mode

I don't understand how to use the FX "looper"...
Can you help me please... Rolling Eyes
korakios

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsampler has as effect (like reverb,comp) a looper.You select looper and enable it for the input.Select how many bars you want to autoloop.
Select autonext in sampling mode and match the duration of sampling with the looperfx (can't remember right now ,but I think 4bar on the fxlooper is 2 bar on the autonext sampling).
Select the keys you want to enable sampling and choose a low threshold to engage sampling.
Set the looper to overdub and press sampling...
Sorry for spelling mistakes!
SimonBorderline

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !
I will try soon !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: