Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arranger for home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyrano

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Arranger for home Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I currently don't do gigs anymore, but I enjoy some jazz and sixties at home.

I owe a nice kieffer half grand piano and a casio privia (with an E which is not working) I was using for jazz gigs some years ago

Now I would like to get an arranger for home use, and after some internet scavenging I drilled down to pa900 or Psr s950

Well, listening with my own ears at the local reseller korg seems better as global sounds, general features and keybed

The only drawbacks are the piano (pa900 sounds... Rubbery...) and acoustic guitars

I also have to fully understand how sa2 and dnc compares each other, and how guitars are managed in building styles, and what is the korg counterpart of megavoices

Advices? Suggestions?
Snorkum

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cyrano:
I like to tell you that I have been in the same situation after two(2) months of research. It was the PSR-S950 or Pa900. I looked at several other arrangers but no keyboard came close to these two.
Everything that you stated I found out myself also. As far as the sounds, like the piano, etc. you are correct it depends on everyone's ear. However, I did something not a few people do. I took friends and family and have them listen to these two keyoboards without knowing which keyboard is playing. Everyone stated that the korg sounds are warmer and more realistic, including the piano sounds.
Than I asked myself, what is it I want to do. After I answered this question, aother features came into play. Aftertouch, brings another dimension to my playing. DNC, a feature where I have somewhat of a choice how I want the sounds to act on the next note I play. I liked the fact that it had a touch screen which I found very helpful after just three(3) weeks of having the Pa900. I like the fact that the operating system can be updated. There are however, so many features I have not had a chance to explore or use. And last but not least, the price. I got the Pa900 brand new for $1464.00. The PSR-S950 didn't even come close to it.
For now, I am happy with my choice. Poeple like the music that come out of the keyboard, and myself, for now very happy playing this instrument.
It all depends what players want to do with the Keyboard they are trying to purchase. If you just want to play this might not be the right keyboard. If you want to explore and do your own sounds, create complex styles, write your own music, this would be a better choice. I certainly was for me.
I know I might not helped with your chocie, but than on the other hand you might get a couple of ideas.
Snorkum

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS.: As far as the Guitar Mode, I have not tried it out yet but if download the manual and go to page 137 it explains how it is being used in a style. I am no guitar player but it looks like it is very complete. I guess I need to try it out.
Cyrano

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Snorkum
Cyrano

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to the shop today, tried both

Korg is thicker and more present, as well as more spatially defined

Yamaha more "play ready", and some of the styles are clearer and more "juicy"

Korg keybed by far better (but I will most probably use my casio privia as masterkeyboard)

I have understood that the tweaking possibilities of Korg are by far bigger and deeper

I tend to prefer Korg but I am not yer 100% decided...
Snorkum

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cyrano:
You are very welcome.

I never could understand what people mean by "play ready". To me that means, you turn on the keyoboard select a style and play a song. I definately could do that with the Korg. I turned it on, selected an appropriate style and played "Bridge over troubled water". I got familiar with the intros, variations, ending and multipads. Took me 30 sec. I was ready to play. How much more play ready can you get?
Please don't missunderstand, I am not trying to argue I am just trying to understand what people mean by certain terms.
I do agree with you about some styles are clearer and better than the Korg. But that is with every Keyboard. No Keyboard is perfect.
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyrano:

A suggestion: when you go shop, try both keyboards on the same amplifier.-
Although, no mather what you ear, Korg is the only and best keyboard manufacture; i've several Korg products, and Roland or Nord can't equal it powerfull sound quality.- Yamaha is a 2 grade product, so.............
With Korg your money is well invested.-
Good choice.-
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyrano:

Allways take in count that although "the beast" (Korg Kronos) needs some tweaking till you find the perfect sound.- With his small brothers (M3, Krome, PA Series) happens the same: everithing can be modyfied.-
Good choice.-
Cyrano

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions

A couple of clarifications here:

1) "play ready": I mean that kind of styles which are perfectly polished, arranged, equalized...I give you an example: while jazz styles in korg are not playable as they are, cause no jazz musician will comp in that way, a few of the yamaha jazz styles are ready to be played...also the sounds coupled with the styles are ready to be played "out of the box"

2) on the other hand it is clear to my ears that the overall quality of korg's sound is better, deeper and more present...they only need some preliminary tweaking

3) I have understood that you can modify sounds and effects much more deeply with korg, so as I do like this kind of programming this is definitely a plus for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: