Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverb and delay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a Krome or M50. You'll have 5 IFX that include delays and reverbs, 2 MFX and one TFX ("total effect", like a mastering limiter or EQ). Additionally, you get a per timbre EQ (that's sixteen in combi and seq mode).
tommymandel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrunoJ wrote:
I almost decided to buy Kross to replace X50 but after reading this topic I have my doubts again.
Appreciate to have more information about ifx/mfx. Bigger number of ifx'es is one of main reason I'm considering such exchange

I think the effects sound better or as good in the X50, even though there aren't that many of them. The Kross's may be more transparent, but the 50's are creamier.
BrunoJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommymandel wrote:
BrunoJ wrote:
I almost decided to buy Kross to replace X50 but after reading this topic I have my doubts again.
Appreciate to have more information about ifx/mfx. Bigger number of ifx'es is one of main reason I'm considering such exchange

I think the effects sound better or as good in the X50, even though there aren't that many of them. The Kross's may be more transparent, but the 50's are creamier.

The point is I found limiting to have only one IFX available in X50, when building complicated combis and want to assign different effects to different parts. However, I'm almost sure I want to use both delay and reverb, if not together, then definitely to be assigned to different part of the same Combi.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, now I see!
I did notice a used Krome on nyc craigslist for 680....
BrunoJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, nothing I can use (if it was pointed to me) - I'm from Poland, total cost and risk is not worth to even try such shopping.
No, I'm still considering seriously Kross because of overall set of features. simply need to balance it properly. If I'd like to have un-compromised board, I should go to Kronos Wink
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Krome on German ebay right now for 639 (only 30 more minutes) with no bids yet. Unless you really really must have the (very limited) audio recording of the Kross, I'd go for that over a Kross.
Shutoku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found some work arounds.
For example there is the rather clever ability to delay a program within a combi, so for example you can run 2 piano sounds, one with a delay of say 90 (whatever it is they are counting) a titch quieter, and you will get a piano with slap-ish delay effect.
Obviously there are downsides in terms of no feedback amount (unless you do this with several tracks) and you are using up polyphony, and it isn't really a delay that would repeat phrases for example, but it does allow for the effect on one sound and no delay on others.

I think at the end of the day, with low end keyboards you don't get everything. It is frustrating to not have this (and the lack of mutes for each track with the favorite buttons really bothers me, along with the tragic keybed on the 61) but at the same time you get an astonishingly versatile and good sounding instrument for under $1000. There will be trade offs.

To be honest the reverb/delay issue has not been as big of a problem as I thought it might when I first started the thread.
If I could change one thing, it would be mute buttons.
If I could change two, next would be the keybed.
I considered the Krome myself, but I really wanted the digital recording and have surprisingly used the vocoder more than I expected.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the recording feature, but I'd like that cool touch screen, and the immediacy of editing it would provide. But believe it or not, for me the weight is the Kross's best advantage over the Krome!
Ricky_jcr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrunoJ wrote:
well, nothing I can use (if it was pointed to me) - I'm from Poland, total cost and risk is not worth to even try such shopping.
No, I'm still considering seriously Kross because of overall set of features. simply need to balance it properly. If I'd like to have un-compromised board, I should go to Kronos Wink

If you do go for the Krome, being a new owner, I absolutely love it, but I do think its very "cryptic"? And its hard to deal with if you've never programmed sound before. The functionality could be improved, but it is after all a mid-range workstation.

But again, if you're looking for improved FX assignment on sounds, Krome is definitely the way to go, unless you can stretch for a Kronos. I would say M50, but its keybed is extremely disappointing. But otherwise, I'd say Krome, Kross and M50 are great boards in their own ways.

It'd be interesting if Korg could make the next mid-range WS, a mixture of the 3 Wink
BrunoJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for hints. I will evaluate all aspects again and make a deciion very soon. And additionally I got the offer for fully equipped older Triton Extreme, which could be better choise than Kross (except size and weight...). this option looks also very interesting, instead of buying entry/mid level workstation from current releases, it could be top level ws from previous generation.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! Very Happy
Ricky_jcr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The Kross's portability is a huge plus, especially if you travel a lot on your gigs. But if transportation is not a problem, try for the Triton.

Also would it help if I mention that both the KROSS and the KROME have a TRITON extension sound pack which can be downloaded free from the Korg website. Contains about 512 programs and combis if I'm not wrong.

So there's some food for thought Wink
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Extreme come with the MOSS board?
BrunoJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Does the Extreme come with the MOSS board?

Yes, Moss annd full memory, 76 keys. the price is about Kross 88/Krome61 or used Krome73.
I'm almost decided to go for that. Just taking last reading over internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: