Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

both the mini and the kit combined

View previous topic :: View next topic  
channel0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: both the mini and the kit combined Reply with quote

hi all,
I have the ms-20 mini for awhile and being happy as a clam with it, but bought the kit last weekend, built it and boy is it a sturdier beast which sounds...pretty much the same.
now having both, I'm trying to figure out how they could be patched together in a way to sound a/ duophonic, b/ anything else with 2 patch bays, 4 osc's, and a number of minijack to jack contraptions Smile
there must be room for experimenting with 2 of the same, otherwise I would have to sell the mini.
anyone else who has 2 ms-20's?
Tascam US-144 Mk II, Alesis iO4
System : Win 8.1/Ubuntu Linux; i5-3470 quad core cpu@3.2 Ghz; 8Gb Ram
DAW : Presonus Studio One Free, Cubase 5.1
Phabius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MS-20 mini since its release and I've just assembled my kit Smile
Going for the extra cables this week.
I wouldn't sell the mini! Great experiences to come for sure!

But they sound a little different, at least my units, which is not bad at all for me. I've noticed a couple of things..

I didn't have much time to compare in much depth yet, but the "older" filter in my mini seems more rough and agressive than the "older" one on the kit. Resonance comes much "earlier" on the knob and it seems the overall boost is stronger. On the kit, it sounds more rounded and polite. On both units, the "older" filter has way more hiss than the "newer" filter on the kit, which is normal I guess. The "newer" filter is even more rounded. Great, quite different from the "older", and has more bass. Quiet as well, better for "triangle wave" situations Smile . But the difference between the "older" filters intrigues me a little.

The Pulse Width control for Pulse Wave/OSC1 on the mini cuts the sound (minimum pulse width) at about 2 o clock, while on the kit it around eight or nine o clock.

Gonna make more tests this week.

Anyway, two units are better than one, hehe. I wouldn't mind if they continue the series.
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
channel0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Phabius,
I just repeated your experiment with the early filters on the PW control for the Pulse wave on OSC1, and I found the sound cutoff to be almost similar on the Mini (around 7) and on the Kit (around Cool.
On the LP Filter -again, both early- the Mini 'screams' a bit sooner (around 6) than the Kit (around 7).
So there is a slight difference between the two, maybe due to different calibrations? But I didn't get the big difference you got on the PW control.
The new filter on the kit is, as you put it, more rounded and polite, and hiss is as good as absent Smile
And no, I won't sell the mini, since the sound produced by both simultaneous is wayy too cool Very Happy
Only problem is, I'm expecting a MFB Dominion 1 next week, and I'm running out of shelves and wall sockets to put it Embarassed
baward14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tips and tricks and a whole lot more, check out my Korg website (no, this is not spam) http://www.korganalogue.net

Ben
channel0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: nice resource Reply with quote

hi Baward14,
I had allready checked out your site quite some time ago.
A usefull resource it is indeed (I enjoyed the poor man's duophony a lot Very Happy)
and your pages give a very thorough insight into the workings of the MS-20.
I'm looking towards chaining 2 MS-20's (a mini and a kit), which is not documented AFAIK.
Nevertheless, I hope a moderator here gets your site pinned in a MS-20 knowledge section, because of all the information you have kindly provided there Smile
best regards
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: