Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Imagining the Kronos Killer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Imagining the Kronos Killer Reply with quote

Kronos, to me, is the most amazing keyboard ever. But as we know, every line of keyboard has a beginning and an end. So what amazing features would the next line of keyboards have that would make Kronos look like a mere toy?

Features I'd love to see would be
A) full color displays above (or below) every knob, button and slider to tell you what it's controlling at that time
B) knobs are all endless rotary controllers with leds around them
C) use ribbon controllers for sliders with leds for visual representations
D) get rid of the vector joystick and replace it with a Kaos type pad including pressure sensitivity
E) keyboard length ribbon controller with pressure sensitivity
F) polyphonic aftertouch
G) multiple standard midi inputs/outputs with full merge/reassign capabilities

I could go on from here, but I want to hear your suggestions. ---and don't think in terms of money. If there is enough demand for a product it comes down in price.

-phattbuzz
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Imagining the Kronos Killer Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
Kronos, to me, is the most amazing keyboard ever. But as we know, every line of keyboard has a beginning and an end. So what amazing features would the next line of keyboards have that would make Kronos look like a mere toy?

A) full color displays above (or below) every knob, button and slider to tell you what it's controlling at that time
D) get rid of the vector joystick and replace it with a Kaos type pad including pressure sensitivity
F) polyphonic aftertouch

I could go on from here, but I want to hear your suggestions. ---and don't think in terms of money. If there is enough demand for a product it comes down in price.

-phattbuzz

A current updated Oasys for $6000. Smile. We cannot ignore the economics, esp the first few yrs.
Tschury

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Imagining the Kronos Killer Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
Imagining the Kronos Killer [...]

Cool
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be only possible with the earlier abandoned Komponent-system where a keyboard can be 'bought' by buying 3 separate parts:
- Keyboard, e.g. one of:
- 49 keys
- 61 keys
- 61 keys polyphonic aftertouch
- 73/76 key piano
- 88 key piano
- 88 keys polyphonic aftertouch
- Engine
- Kronos engine
- Kronos 4 (?) engine
- Controller
- Normal (like Kronos)
- Oasys like (with LEDS, motorized sliders etc)
- Luxuriious (with display around each button/slider)

Problem is, the last item(s) of each category would cost a lot to develop while not sold much, so they would be extremely costly.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I think this would be only possible with the earlier abandoned Komponent-system where a keyboard can be 'bought' by buying 3 separate parts:
- Keyboard, e.g. one of:
- 49 keys
- 61 keys
- 61 keys polyphonic aftertouch
- 73/76 key piano
- 88 key piano
- 88 keys polyphonic aftertouch
- Engine
- Kronos engine
- Kronos 4 (?) engine
- Controller
- Normal (like Kronos)
- Oasys like (with LEDS, motorized sliders etc)
- Luxuriious (with display around each button/slider)

Problem is, the last item(s) of each category would cost a lot to develop while not sold much, so they would be extremely costly.

I don't see the Kronos Killer coming out for 5-10 years from now. At that point in time prices could change dramatically. Remember the DX7 had polyphonic aftertouch. It wasn't a luxury item because it was produced in bulk. The Solaris has displays around all the buttons. Yes it's an expensive synth, but actually reasonable for it's features. The Oasys LEDS were a great idea and I'm seeing more keyboards using lights to give the performer feedback.

I do like the modular idea. Of course, we've seen it tried out by different companies for years (Octave Plateau's Voyetra 8, The Fairlight, and of course the Korg M3 all had separate keyboards from the brain). Look at all the companies putting out USB keyboards these days. 10 years ago, there was no demand for it.

I connect a bunch of midi controllers up to my Kronos too. For some shows, I'll have and extra 61 key and 88 key and a pedalboard hooked all controlling the Kronos at once. So yes, I do like a modular approach.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DX7 did not have poly AT. But yeah Kronos will be top dog for a while unless some smaller company jumps in out of the blue and that doesn't seem likely. Yamaha is as frightened of its "market leading" position as ever and Roland seems clueless. I had some hopes for Kurz but their newest board is a disappointment (to me). I still like Nord but they have a different target audience really.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
The DX7 did not have poly AT. But yeah Kronos will be top dog for a while unless some smaller company jumps in out of the blue and that doesn't seem likely. Yamaha is as frightened of its "market leading" position as ever and Roland seems clueless. I had some hopes for Kurz but their newest board is a disappointment (to me). I still like Nord but they have a different target audience really.

Whoops - sorry, it was the DX1 that had poly AT - and yes that was an expensive synth!
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
The DX7 did not have poly AT...

Whoops - sorry, it was the DX1 that had poly AT - and yes that was an expensive synth!

If the DX7 had had poly AT, every synth in the world would have it now, too, and every synth player would know how to use it...but there were only about 140 DX1s produced (vs. like 100,000 DX7s), and they cost more than $13,000 (in 1985 dollars!)...

df
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Kronos is finally one synth that emulates most keyboard-type instruments exceedingly well (even from the player's perspective), it's tough to call anything a Kronos killer unless it contained virtually all of the incremental improvements that people have been talking about here for three years (additional engines, better seq, etc.). Frankly, it's pretty killer already.

A new synth comparable to the huge jump in features that Oasys/Kronos provided relative to other keyboards would almost have to include a full-featured DAW, DJ functions, expansive arranger app, huge touchscreen to control it all and read charts on, and more physical models and emulations of classic keyboards (maybe even a VSTi environment). Even though Korg already has much of this functionality across their historic product line, it would presumably be a major undertaking to combine all that disparate functionality and code.

Unfortunately, I'd say a synth would basically need to be a PC to be truly customizable enough to be a "killer" instrument for all customers. The currently available instruments that try to give you a PC environment don't sell nearly as well as mainstream workstations and stage pianos. And even if Korg made anything like what I've mentioned, someone is going to be pissed that it doesn't run their favorite iPad app, dual boot OSX and WinXP, and connect to their Avid interface at the same time -- all under wireless remote control from their Droid.

There are also manufacturers putting synths out there that sell well simply because of the fact that they aren't all-encompassing devices and only do one or two things with limited interfaces (like traditional instruments).

Is a Kronos killer just a room full of your favorite instruments and studio gear?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Is a Kronos killer just a room full of your favorite instruments and studio gear?

+1
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Imagining the Kronos Killer Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:

F) polyphonic aftertouch

-phattbuzz

A) make that a colordisplay in the button and under the knobs
B) totally agree
C) or motorised faders
D) have both
E) make that multi touch too
F) agree
g) make that HD midi out and ins...

H) have Karma, arranger with audio support and a sequencer much like ableton live with scenes to select..
I) have improved versions ofall 9 Kronos engines, a new King korg engine, and a Virtuall analogue engine for brass wind and such sounds
J) full VST support, both instruments and effects
K) have a vocoder and a vocal harmony processor
L) has a dedicated sound controll section much like a cross between the kingkorg and the kawaii mp11
M) a keybed comparable to the kawaii MP11
N) has atleast a 12" full HD touchscrean ( preferably 14")
O) has 16 drumpads both touch and pressure sensitive
P) is build as sturdy as the first Oasys
Q) is named OASYS 2, and costs just as much as the first Oasys
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R) Gets me gigs
S) Checks all my songs and shows me sheets
T) Creates or copies all sounds I need
U) Does all my administration
V) Has Angry Birds on it
W) Makes coffee

I'll leave someone else to finish before I get too unrealistic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: