Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New / updated hardware for the Kronos 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashboe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: New / updated hardware for the Kronos 2 Reply with quote

Very excited about OS v3 - has some excellent ideas implemented and it extends the life of this fantastic keyboard/workstation.

I was just wondering, though, whether the hardware has new configurations (aside from the screen and the case) - what new / updated parts are being prepared for the new Kronos - or is it 95% - 99% the same hardware as the old Kronos?

I only mention this, because if it mainly a software upgrade, then I don't really see the point of buying a new Kronos - if, however, there are some new and upgraded hardware bits and pieces (and yes, that is the technical term) then I might seriously consider this....
unixmill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this thread
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=93564&sid=ad64cf3699da012adfc1f47c0be4334f
ashboe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unixmill wrote:
Check this thread
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=93564&sid=ad64cf3699da012adfc1f47c0be4334f

Yes, but that thread hasn't had a specific look at new hardware added - it may be that Korg has redesigned some physical components to add speed/future proof/add power...I would be interested to see what has changed inside the machine, not just on the surface (OS) level...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New / updated hardware for the Kronos 2 Reply with quote

ashboe wrote:

I only mention this, because if it mainly a software upgrade, then I don't really see the point of buying a new Kronos - if, however, there are some new and upgraded hardware bits and pieces (and yes, that is the technical term) then I might seriously consider this....

sure, that makes sense, assuming you are a current Kronos owner

lets imagine a few components are new/better. 1 is a power supply. but the K2 still runs , performs in a identical fashion. The boot up time is 10 seconds faster.

what would be your decision ?
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough once the new Kronos hits the streets what CPU/MB are in there. The great news would be is a new board that is available and possibly more powerful going forward. Hell maybe we'll get lucky and Kronos will last another 5-10 years and we can upgrade our current boards accordingly. Talk about bang for buck! In the meantime it's really great that Korg is moving forward with the Kronos platform.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
I'm sure we'll find out soon enough once the new Kronos hits the streets what CPU/MB are in there. The great news would be is a new board that is available and possibly more powerful going forward. Hell maybe we'll get lucky and Kronos will last another 5-10 years and we can upgrade our current boards accordingly. Talk about bang for buck! In the meantime it's really great that Korg is moving forward with the Kronos platform.

To better define ' last '. Or being very useful/near state of the art.

I baby my boards . Don't gig . My Triton was going strong after 10 yrs when I sold it. My Extreme was 6 yrs old and was flawless when i sold it.

Today , the Kronos is well ahead of the pack. I am not too greedy for processing power. I can see my +3 yr old Kronos as being very useful for another 3 yrs.
ashboe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: New / updated hardware for the Kronos 2 Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
ashboe wrote:

sure, that makes sense, assuming you are a current Kronos owner

lets imagine a few components are new/better. 1 is a power supply. but the K2 still runs , performs in a identical fashion. The boot up time is 10 seconds faster.

what would be your decision ?

I do own a kronor, and 10 second improvement in loading time makes no difference to me.... I was just wondering if there are any improvements in the hardware
slowtrain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing. For example, if the motherboard is different, maybe more RAM could be added. I suppose we'll have to wait until someone gets one and looks inside.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is interesting. owners are interested in knowing if the K2 has more ram ( i doubt it) or a ' better mobo '. do you expect a better mobo to have a discernible difference in performance ? i am not so sure.

i have not read or heard that Korg is targeting the ' power user' with the K2. by not doing so, my assumption is there is not going to be a substantial diff in processing performance between the K2 and the "X ".

if it was a beefed up Kronos, I would have expected alot more talk from Korg by now. maybe its still in the cards.

i am ok with the spec as is. The Kronos is a smooth running workstation. Larger SSD for more storage is cool
xp50player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the advertised polyphony is the same in every engine as the previous Kronos. The OS probably has caps on the polyphony to prevent the unpleasant effects of the CPU reaching its limit, making any CPU update a moot point. A new mobo would be nice if it had a faster SATA port on it, for quicker boot time.

Last edited by xp50player on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
xp50player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
this is interesting. owners are interested in knowing if the K2 has more ram ( i doubt it) or a ' better mobo '. do you expect a better mobo to have a discernible difference in performance ? i am not so sure.

OS is 32-bit, so only 3.25Gb addressable RAM possible. PC devices with this mobo and 64-bit OS can use up to 8gb RAM.
slowtrain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

i have not read or heard that Korg is targeting the ' power user' with the K2. by not doing so, my assumption is there is not going to be a substantial diff in processing performance between the K2 and the "X ".

if it was a beefed up Kronos, I would have expected alot more talk from Korg by now. maybe its still in the cards.

i am ok with the spec as is. The Kronos is a smooth running workstation. Larger SSD for more storage is cool

I don't know why you put 'better mobo' in quotes since I didn't write that. Someone (I think it was Sander) mentioned it's a 64 bit CPU and the RAM limitation is because the motherboard will only hold 4 GB. I have no idea. I also didn't ask if it had more RAM installed. I was just wondering if there would be a different motherboard because people have posted that Intel stopped making the ones that Korg was using.

I'm curious about the RAM because people have mentioned running short on RAM when adding EXs like Orchestral Strings. I'd like be able to add as many samples as possible to the Kronos instead of using a VST. I bought a workstation so I wouldn't have to use a computer. I have no problem with the spec as is either, but RAM is cheap. I doubt they'd be advertising about empty RAM slots in the motherboard; but if they're there, I'd like to know. I didn't mention more processing power either. I don't expect it to have any more processing power, since they haven't changed the specs for polyphony (as far as I know).
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Intel the DM525 motherboard (I forget if that's the original K or the X) has a maximum of 4GB of RAM but a 64 bit Atom processor. Of course right now it's anybody's guess what mobo will be in the K2 but I doubt they upgraded to a 64 bit OS. It would be a huge amount of work and we'd be hearing about the dramatically increased RAM and so on.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D510 was in original Kronos, D525 in Kronos X, IIRC.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowtrain wrote:
GregC wrote:

I don't know why you put 'better mobo' in quotes since I didn't write that. Someone (I think it was Sander) mentioned it's a 64 bit CPU and the RAM limitation is because the motherboard will only hold 4 GB. I have no idea. I also didn't ask if it had more RAM installed. I was just wondering if there would be a different motherboard because people have posted that Intel stopped making the ones that Korg was using.

ok, somehow I misunderstood your post:

[quote="slowtrain"]I was wondering the same thing. For example, if the motherboard is different, maybe more RAM could be added
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: