Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg is making the upgrade from K to K2 impossible
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Why don't Korg simply allow the same EXs to be registered on more than one Kronos with a fair-use limit (say, four devices)?

People who have spent their hard earned money on an expensive EXs are unlikely to distribute it illegally as it would reduce their ability to install in on future devices. I also wonder if the sales lost due to improper distribution of purchased libraries would be less than the increase in sales due to people feeling more comfortable in their purchase.

Here's an interesting thing: my home insurance company does not allow me to insure software purchases, arguing instead that backups should be made. Whilst I can always redownload an EXs, if my Kronos is stolen any backup essentially becomes defunct. If I have $1000 worth of EXs libraries, how can I insure against the loss of these if I lose access to the original device?

^^This.

I thought about the "De-authorize" concept too, but don't see how that would work. The original authorize code would still work because the algorithm between the hardware id and the library id will still be the same. They can't change this algorithm in an OS update because it will break ALL previous authorizations meaning everyone will have to get new codes and re-authorize. That's a major nightmare for Korg. The other part is: How would Korg ever know you deauthorized it unless you sent them a screenshot for proof to get your new code(s)? Another headache I'm sure they wouldn't want to handle.

Relaxing the licensing rules via your account management on Korg's website makes the most sense by FAR.

All they have to do is see if your "2nd Kronos" or "New Kronos" happens to be registered to someone else and that solves that. If they try to get around it, one of two things will happen: Either if they ever try to register their own Kronos it will tell them it's already registered, or if they try to add it they will say that Kronos belongs to someone else and in both cases to Contact Korg. Further Korg would contact the other person to warn of fraud. Have fun with that.

A group of two or three people could try to share an account, but pretty unlikely I'd say. Would YOU take that chance on a multi-thousand dollar investment? I sure wouldn't!
Andreuz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is making good, valid points.

My issue is that I think most all of the sound libraries ridiculously way over-priced not to mention how slow the downloads are from their server.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut feeling is that Korg would actually not leave you hanging if your Kronos got destroyed or stolen, but that they'd rather review it on a case by case basis. I've never actually heard of anyone who wanted to move his license to a different board and was denied. Going by the nature of this forum I bet we'd have heard about it. So this seems, so far, to be a problem that exists in theory, apart from that we'd like it to be EASIER.

That said, I think this is an unfriendly policy that is ultimately costing them money.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreuz wrote:

My issue is that I think most all of the sound libraries ridiculously way over-priced not to mention how slow the downloads are from their server.

I agree completely. It is Very difficult to even scan thru the various libs.

Each scroll down on the page forces the loading of demos. When the scroll down forces 20, 30, or so demo song loads, the page load time is excruciating.

I would think this has a more negative effect on potential sales than other considerations
bud01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to getting a Korg Kronos 2 once it is available here in the UK,

I will be spending a lot of money on sounds over the next few years and when it comes time to move up to the Kronos 3 I fully expect to be able to move any purchases I have made for my Kornos 2 to my Kronos 3 even if it means I have to take it to a Korg dealership and pay a small fee.

Ideally the experience I am expecting (have never even touched a Kronos or seen one) will be some thing like the ITunes store in that I can simply log into my new Kronos 3 in the future and it will know me and my account.

It would be totally out of my ability to understand or comprehend if after spending a few thousands dollars / pounds on sounds I was not able to move them to a new keyboard due to upgrade / faulty K2.

I am into virtual reality and advanced gaming - Rig - Obutto r3volution - Obsidian 900D - ASUS Duluxe x99 - i7 5820k@4080mhz - 1TB Samsung EVO - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (black) 16gb 2800Mhz - 3GB Asus GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC - 3 x Asus VN279QLB - 1x Oculus Dk2- Blu-ray - Mionix Naos 8200 Mouse - Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo - Razer Tiamat 7.1 true - (DT 770 PRO Headphones + PX350 piano + Omnisphere - Focusrite 6i6 - SE2200a IIC )- T500RS Wheel + TH8a Shifter - Warthog Hotas + Saitek Combat Pedals - IPhone6 128gb + QC20i
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud01 wrote:
I am going to getting a Korg Kronos 2 once it is available here in the UK,

I will be spending a lot of money on sounds over the next few years and when it comes time to move up to the Kronos 3 I fully expect to be able to move any purchases I have made for my Kornos 2 to my Kronos 3 even if it means I have to take it to a Korg dealership and pay a small fee.

Ideally the experience I am expecting (have never even touched a Kronos or seen one) will be some thing like the ITunes store in that I can simply log into my new Kronos 3 in the future and it will know me and my account.

It would be totally out of my ability to understand or comprehend if after spending a few thousands dollars / pounds on sounds I was not able to move them to a new keyboard due to upgrade / faulty K2.

rooted jail broke ?

I am not familar with that expression. maybe you can explain
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
My gut feeling is that Korg would actually not leave you hanging if your Kronos got destroyed or stolen, but that they'd rather review it on a case by case basis. I've never actually heard of anyone who wanted to move his license to a different board and was denied. Going by the nature of this forum I bet we'd have heard about it. So this seems, so far, to be a problem that exists in theory, apart from that we'd like it to be EASIER.

That said, I think this is an unfriendly policy that is ultimately costing them money.

Very good point! But would you be willing to bet hundreds of library dollars on that?
Andreuz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Andreuz wrote:

Each scroll down on the page forces the loading of demos. When the scroll down forces 20, 30, or so demo song loads, the page load time is excruciating.

I would think this has a more negative effect on potential sales than other considerations

Wow... that's for dang sure! I "cringe" every time I go browsing this website. ("dang" is not the word I really wanted to use)
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot understand and agree with this terms as "way over priced libraries" No one buys a sounds library because it is cheap or very expansive. One buys a sounds library because, according our tastes, we just feel that that sound or these sounds will suit absolutely well our musical creations. That's all. And, apart that, I think that creating sounds is a real hard work and many creators of these sounds libraries have to be honestly paid for that. I will never say that a sound library is over priced, I will just say that I don't like these sounds whatever their prices are. And if some of these are low priced and good for music : Lucky me ! Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
zardoz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be the worst data plan on 3rd party libraries in the music market.
I would buy at least 1k$ of sounds if they could be brought forward into
a "new" kronos when I have"played out"mine.
I have had 3 Yamaha xf's (with their respective libraries) over the last
few years , the sounds got passed into new boards.
Then there is the backline problem (a whole can of worms subject)

As Kronos users , we love these machines to death. Most of us
will probably buy the next gen units as ours become old.
Until korg allows us to keep our libraries its a waste of $$ to invest in them.
Except for this one or...that one..lol!!
Z>>>
rob_tky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
I think that creating sounds is a real hard work and many creators of these sounds libraries have to be honestly paid for that

Hard work? Yes, so is our work that earns us cash to buy sound libs.

Within software industry, a policy that does not allow to MOVE software to another PC after replacement is generally seen as unfair, yet still practiced by many software providers.
I hope all voice expressed here are heard by Korg.

From me, +1 as well to change of licensing system that would allow any form of license deactivation/move.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

Very good point! But would you be willing to bet hundreds of library dollars on that?

Well I know it's one reason I haven't bought a second Kronos. I have an 88 in full flight case and live in a home with stairs. I keep it in my storage, mostly. I would love a 61 in my studio space to prepare for gigs and bring everything on a USB stick. But I'd have no way of moving sounds between them, except by paying twice for every library. So I'm definitely in favor of a USB dongle like solution. So in my case, it's not actually library dollars they're missing, it's Kronos dollars.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Andreuz wrote:

+1. The demo page is PAINFUL.
Harpernet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy 1st gen kronos upgrade it save thousands & you have the kronos 2 with xtra money for sounds
Anukis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

Bought a brand new Kronos first shipment into the country. Bought 3 libraries. 2 months later Kronos has dies and was replaced under warranty. All my libraries?? Gone... My $750 investment wasted down the toilet. They did nothing.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: