Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg is making the upgrade from K to K2 impossible
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anukis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my Kronos was never destroyed by me or stolen. It was "their" fault yet after asking repeatedly for my licenses to be transferred to my new kronos the answer was "no".

You heard about someone now who's situation does not exist in theory. Yet I still bit my lip and bought another 2 Kronos' sold them and bought another Kronos X88 but swore never ever to deal with 3rd party developers nor buy anything related to Korg software releases unless they are free.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anukis wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
My gut feeling is that Korg would actually not leave you hanging if your Kronos got destroyed or stolen, but that they'd rather review it on a case by case basis. I've never actually heard of anyone who wanted to move his license to a different board and was denied. Going by the nature of this forum I bet we'd have heard about it. So this seems, so far, to be a problem that exists in theory, apart from that we'd like it to be EASIER.

That said, I think this is an unfriendly policy that is ultimately costing them money.

Bought a brand new Kronos first shipment into the country. Bought 3 libraries. 2 months later Kronos has dies and was replaced under warranty. All my libraries?? Gone... My $750 investment wasted down the toilet. They did nothing.

I would not be happy losing that amount of money.

Did you ask the service center or distributor to make your plea ?
Sweat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I will dare to be the contrarian here. I have demo'd many of the sample libs and have not been thoroughly impressed enough to drop $149 or $199 or $249.

I don't gig or record as a pro so I don't have specific sound needs from the sample libs.

But if the price is $49 or lets say under $100, that kind of purchase is ok with me as long as I see some entertainment value. Given that, if I buy the Kronos 2 and have 2 sample libs that were inexpensive on my 1st gen Kronos, I am not going to be very upset that I cannot move them over.

It would be nice , of course, but I know the deal if I was buying the Kronos 2. That if I had to have a duplicate sample libs, I would have to fork some $$ over.

So I see it as total cost of ownership. Since I don't expect Korg to change their policy just for me.

I see KApro just announced reduced prices. Many under $100 which are closer to being reasonable.
A cost of $250 is what I expected to pay for the convenience of the hardware expansion cards, that I could bring on a flight to install on backline boards, then remove. If I have to download a library for use on the instrument that I will use only once for session or gig, a price under $100 is getting a little closer to being fair for me.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweat wrote:
GregC wrote:
I will dare to be the contrarian here. I have demo'd many of the sample libs and have not been thoroughly impressed enough to drop $149 or $199 or $249.

I don't gig or record as a pro so I don't have specific sound needs from the sample libs.

But if the price is $49 or lets say under $100, that kind of purchase is ok with me as long as I see some entertainment value. Given that, if I buy the Kronos 2 and have 2 sample libs that were inexpensive on my 1st gen Kronos, I am not going to be very upset that I cannot move them over.

It would be nice , of course, but I know the deal if I was buying the Kronos 2. That if I had to have a duplicate sample libs, I would have to fork some $$ over.

So I see it as total cost of ownership. Since I don't expect Korg to change their policy just for me.

I see KApro just announced reduced prices. Many under $100 which are closer to being reasonable.
A cost of $250 is what I expected to pay for the convenience of the hardware expansion cards, that I could bring on a flight to install on backline boards, then remove. If I have to download a library for use on the instrument that I will use only once for session or gig, a price under $100 is getting a little closer to being fair for me.

Same here- I use to really enjoy Rolands many expansion boards and was use to +$250 per board. But Roland stopped making them and I suspect they could not make any $ on them.

I think the future has arrived. I honestly think an $100 or less price will really stimulate sample lib sales. Your rationale makes good sense to me
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been thinking of buying a Kronos but as soon as I found out about the licensing I decided to forget about it.

I understand piracy concerns but punishing your paying customers is just stupid. I will not buy products that do not allow easy license transfers.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that Anukis, thank you for sharing. That's very disappointing, I really expected Korg to take care of warranty transfers at least.
EDIT: just for our info - were these Korg libraries or someone else's? You mention 3rd party developers? And considering it was a warranty repair I'm assuming you went through the service center?
Anukis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok I got over it. I still love korg and buy all their gear but it is the way it is. Cant do much. These things happen. It was the first Kronos so I think the distributers themselves were new to all this software license policy.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
Anukis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes one was Karo and the rest were Korg. From memory Legendry strings and the Austrian Grand and the Karo one was a symphonic library. They were $249 a pop I think.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
ryokorgjapan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anukis wrote:
Its ok I got over it. I still love korg and buy all their gear but it is the way it is. Cant do much. These things happen. It was the first Kronos so I think the distributers themselves were new to all this software license policy.

You should not give up.
Just talk to official service center with your credit card recipt of your Kronos and EXs licenses.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am concerned ( I have bought the Synphonic Library fromKaro) I continue to think that those kind of licences could be easily be transfered from one Kronos to another... ...if these companies would want it : they could do it Laughing Idea

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a solution would be to specify whether you want to authorise the bank on your hard drive, as is the case now, or on a USB key via a stamp file. Should you authorise a USB key, you could use it with Kronos A and Kronos B by simply plugging the key and selecting "USB authorisation" when you go to Global.

That way, you do not force people who don't want the hassle of a USB dongle to have one (i.e. they use the same authorisation method as exists now), but those who have two Kronos could use the bank they have purchased with both machines.

The solution also works well for people selling their Kronos. Since a bank is linked to a machine, either you sell your Kronos and the buyer keeps the bank installed on the hard drive or the key, or you sell the Kronos but keep the key to use with a Kronos 2, for example. In any case, this system means you cannot use the bank on both your new Kronos and the one you sold.

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the way Waves does it (and a few others). It's very convenient. You can also move the license between flash drive, hard drive and the cloud with an internet based licensing utility.

Of course, to be fair, Waves is also some of the most popular warezed software.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remember that years ago, Photoshop and Steinberg had voluntarily left unprotected some of their softwares with a marketing perspective in mind : That their softwares will be recognized by the most people in the world. And it's a fact that the professionnal users always pay their licences.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
keez

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to meatballfulton above, the licensing issue did stop me from spending money on addition Korg stuff. I have bought a Kronos, but I would like to purchase additional sounds and also an additional Kronos. This way I could have one Kronos at home, and one at the studio. Unfortunately, this would require purchasing all the sounds twice.

For this reason, I have not purchased an additional Kronos, OR any sound sets. Korg have missed out twice there.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
I just remember that years ago, Photoshop and Steinberg had voluntarily left unprotected some of their softwares with a marketing perspective in mind : That their softwares will be recognized by the most people in the world. And it's a fact that the professionnal users always pay their licences.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here, but that is definitely not a fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: