Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Electribe 2 as main sequencer... No midi for each part?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Korg Electribe 2 as main sequencer... No midi for each part? Reply with quote

Hello,

I purchased the Korg Electribe 2 today for using it as a main sequencer to sequence my other synths. To my surprise you can't set the midi channel for each part (like the EMX)? Only a global midi setting, really? Is there no midi setting for each part or is there something that I have missed? Please let me know, greetings,

Pfr.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it seems that's how it is, part 1=midi ch 1, part 2= midi ch2, etc. you can't change them.
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, but you can use it as a 16 part sequencer if you but the global midi parameter to 16. Strange way of working.
Wavestrike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pads are MIDI ch 1-16 by default. So simply set the device you want to run to the pad number you have the MIDI recorded on. I have been running my Bass Station II by selecting on the BSII Function + MIDI channel key and then change the BSII to whatever pad I am taking the MIDI input from.
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other "issue" that I have... I hooked up my midi keyboard to the Electribe's midi in and have put the midi channel on 4. My Waldorf Streichfett is connected to the midi out of the Electribe 2 (also on midi channel 4). I select part 4 on the Electribe and when I play the midi keyboard the Electribe 2 doesn't send the notes to Waldorf (the Electribe 2 receive the notes but it doesn't send it directly to the Waldorf). What am I doing wrong?
dokido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps thats the no midi thru problem
there is no midi thru on the new eletribe 2
you can only record from midi input to e2 directly

and then from e2 to midi out synth
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, if that should be the problem it would be a big downside for the new Electribe's. I hope they fix this with a new software update, I don't want to record the notes (especially for chords) on the Electribe pads.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thats how General Midi works, not unique to Electribe. You connect either to a midi out socket or to a midi through.They work differently -and yes -the E2 has no midi through.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo it was a really dumb move to get rid of MIDI THRU on the electribes. I always found it to be very useful as a way to integrate with other hardware. Its almost like Korg said, "Nah, they will never be doing that again! Not with this box!!" and then canned it. Sure, they added sync, but I would have picked midi thru over that any day.
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really made some big mistakes with the new Electribe's. Don't get me wrong, I really love the Elec"tribe" (still have the ER and EA) but why get rid of all the good functions of the EMX/ESX? Ok, the new Electribe's can control more (midi)parts and are polyphonic but they aren't "music stations" like it should be. Bummer.
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I tried this...

Midi keyboard to midi in Electribe 2
Midi out Electribe 2 to Kenton Thru-5 midi in
Kenton Thru-5 midi thru to midi in Waldorf Streichfett

Still no result (midi channel keyboard/Streichfett is the same).
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a midi merge maybe.Combine signals from the Kenton and E2.You could use a laptop/PC/Mac if you have a midi interface but stand alone looks like problems for you.You could play Waldorf live from keys ,then audio input to E2,but no actual recording (on E2)of keyboard controlling Waldorf.
As far as I can work out anyway.
-If it was me ,I would plug keys into E2.Record a similar voice on part 4.Then control Waldorf direct from E2 (with seq or live pads/Kaosc scale/arp).
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC/Mac/laptop/ipad's are banned Wink I will buy the Kenton Midi Merge and I hope it will fix the "problem". Thanks for the advice.
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, to make sure that I do nothing wrong, how should the midi setup be to make everything work perfectly?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok plug your keyboard into your Kenton.that'l split it ,take two cables out ,connect one to your E2.then take a cable from your output on the E2 and plug into a merger ,combined with you 2nd out from your Kenton Thru.then plug an output from your merger to your Waldorf.
This is sounding so convoluted for what you need.I would consider using the E2 as a controller to play the Waldorf to get you started.it sounds like your a keyboardist and its important to control the strings with keys(understandable) but you may find a bit of hardware in the future that simplifies this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: