Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What DAW.Sequencer do you use for Style creation/editing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which DAW would you prefer?
Steinberg Cubase
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Avid Pro Tools
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cakewalk Sonar
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Steinberg Nuendo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Propellerhead Reason
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Image-Line FL Studio
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Presonus Studio One
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cockos Reaper
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Apple Logic Pro
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Ableton Live
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: What DAW.Sequencer do you use for Style creation/editing Reply with quote

I've just discovered Reaper 4.76 and have to say I am really impressed so far. SO much easier to handle style element markers (once I figured it out). I'd be curious to hear what software you all are using for style editing/creation.

Regarding marker creation in Reaper 4.76. you need to add text type 'Marker' while in the midi editor - Ctrl-Alt-E then Alt-3 to get in the right editor mode. I put my markers in Channel 10. Then you just scroll to the time position where you want to insert the marker and press Ctrl-Alt-I and enter the text ( i1cv1, i2cv1, v1cv1, etc) as type MARKER. When you are done, you can select VIEW > FILTER EVENTS and then select SHOW ONLY EVENTS THAT PASS FILTER and select EVENT TYPE SYSEX/META - You will then be shown just a list of your style markers and their positions.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar

Last edited by Thoraldus on Wed May 27, 2015 11:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked whether these Markers also work for general SMF file playback on the PA3X using the Mark/Jump feature?

I am surprised at how few people use this feature... One of the main complaints about SMF's was 'They don't allow me any freedom', but using Markers to freely jump backwards and forwards in the song structure gives you almost arranger-like freedom, without the tyranny of having to input the chords all the time (I like to use my LH a bit more creatively!), or having to start at the beginning and run through the song the same way.

I find that, if the crowd doesn't get up to dance until maybe halfway through the song, nothing beats being able to skip back to the first verse again (or first chorus) and keep them on the floor longer. Plus, if I've got friends sitting in, it's great to be able to repeat the solo section a time or two, and let them blow as much as they want.
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Thor, it would be great if you could organize the PA community, and make a list of DAW's that DO export MIDI markers correctly and those that don't...

I imagine this would help out the community no end, and save a lot of head-scratching.

I guess we already know that Logic doesn't... Confused Twisted Evil
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check on my PA600 ... I think I ran across a mention of this feature while delving through the docs on Reaper. I'm pretty sure the PA3X and PA600 use the same methods and are compatible. Sounds like fun!

Check back later ....

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back Wink

Works like a charm! Dead simple.

Johann Sebastian Bach

Dikikeys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... SMF Mark/Jump points are one of the best kept secrets of modern arrangers (in fact, I think few WS's implement them, which you would think they ought to, as they don't have styles to be spontaneous with!).

The lines between Styles and SMF's have definitely blurred, with Chord Sequencers allowing you to hand off the chord input chores if you want more LH freedom (or you want to play something else like another keyboard, or a horn) while still remaining in Style Mode, and Mark/Jump allowing SMF's to be less rigid than they used to be...

Great times! Cool
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What DAW.Sequencer do you use for Style creation/editing Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
I've just discovered Reaper 4.76 and have to say I am really impressed so far. SO much easier to handle style element markers (once I figured it out). I'd be curious to hear what software you all are using for style editing/creation.

Regarding marker creation in Reaper 4.76. you need to add text type 'Marker' while in the midi editor - Ctrl-Alt-E then Alt-3 to get in the right editor mode. I put my markers in Channel 10. Then you just scroll to the time position where you want to insert the marker and press Ctrl-Alt-I and enter the text ( i1cv1, i2cv1, v1cv1, etc) as type MARKER. When you are done, you can select VIEW > FILTER EVENTS and then select SHOW ONLY EVENTS THAT PASS FILTER and select EVENT TYPE SYSEX/META - You will then be shown just a list of your style markers and their positions.

Thoraldus: Maybe you can put up a utube example of this process. I think I'm following you somewhat but seeing it would certainly help. TIA
Nitecrawler (Eric) Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay tuned Eric. Will have something for you all later today.

cheers,
Rick

Johann Sebastian Bach

Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps ... Wink

Midi Marker Tutorial with Reaper

Edit: Updated the file !

Edit: This short tutorial shows hows to enter text markers in Reaper 4.77. Korg style markers are text markers. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks, after thoroughly digging into Reaper I have come to the realization that although it's a great DAW for the price, IT IS NOT A GREAT MIDI EDITOR.

I've accordingly purchased Cakewalk Sonar Artist (for now on the $10/month plan) as it is MUCH easier to create and edit styles on it. Much easier!!!

Johann Sebastian Bach

siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Markers in SMFs Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
..l SMF file playback on the PA3X using the Mark/Jump feature? .. how few people use this feature... .

To maintain that few people use a feature is speculative. If there are 100.525 users in a forum and you get no reaction to postings or pollings means all users do not poll for "yes", but also means all users do not poll for "no".

It is the same with suggestive allegations about one person making complaints should be the only person, whereas some more complaints should be important because of its proportion to the number of complaints, maybe 50:1 - but what about 50:100.525?

To make pollings is ok, but to maintain what features few or most peoples use always is ones personal opinion, corresponds to his personal experience but generally is nothing serious or relevant. Maybe also the converse of such maintains are true - i like to use Markers is SMFs, now most people here use this feature (or only one person).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Markers in SMFs Reply with quote

Content deleted by author

Johann Sebastian Bach

Last edited by Thoraldus on Thu May 28, 2015 12:29 am; edited 3 times in total
timn-mk

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Markers in SMF files Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
Yep... SMF Mark/Jump points are one of the best kept secrets of modern arrangers (in fact, I think few WS's implement them, which you would think they ought to, as they don't have styles to be spontaneous with!).

I'm just catching up here.. I am starting to use Cubase 8 Elements and the marker concept is new to me for playback.
Are you saying if the 'v4cv3' marker for example is in the SMF0 file you can jump to it somehow whilst playing? Using the variation keys?
- thanks for any explanations
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Markers in SMFs Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
.. not good forum manners ..

Maintaining again that few people use a feature is speculative.

It is no hijacking to mention that this also applies to functionality of SMFs/Styles separeted by markers, because that is nothing new and is used since Pa2x as you can see in a pdf-document explaining how to work with (http://www.korg.com/download/global/paseries/tutorials/ImportExportSMF.pdf)

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Markers in SMFs Reply with quote

Content deleted by author

Johann Sebastian Bach

Last edited by Thoraldus on Thu May 28, 2015 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: