Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BIG News on the Electribe 2!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: BIG News on the Electribe 2!! Reply with quote

I asked Mistabishi (UK Promotor for KORG) some questions on facebook today, and here's what he answered me:

"It's very much an ongoing thing... It will be 'possible' to switch fw. In a way, its gonna be the most moddable synth ever released . You'll see why later in the year" Shocked

Last edited by Kilko on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BIG News on the Electribe 2!! Reply with quote

Kilko wrote:
I asked Mistabishi (UK Promotor for KORG) some questions on facebook today, and here's what he answered me:

"It's very much an ongoing thing... It will be 'possible' to switch fw. In a way, its gonna be the most moddable synth ever released. You'll see why later in the year" Shocked

Holy Firmware, Batman!
NickZoll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very promissing...
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZoll wrote:
Sounds very promissing...

...and yet very vague. Confused

I suppose it will have to do with the software, the hardware being some sort of affordable generic platform (hence the indentical labels, UI and possibly hardware between the EMX2 and the ESX2, perhaps).

Positive point : it's only the begining (fueling users expectations and dampering early adopters frustrations).

Negative point : how long will it last? And will Korg charge the owners at some point to generate revenues all along the lifecycle of the product?

Imagine a Korg store, where you would download "apps" (i.e. instruments and algorithms) for your electribes...

Eventide has taken this path already, with the H9. Idea

Last edited by Poumtschak on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:

Exactly. It would be one thing if he said something along the lines of him working with Korg and giving them feedback to help improve the current OS for each unit separately. To me, saying that people will be able to switch the firmware on these means rather than improve on what they have individual feels like a cope out. The user will be stuck juggling between firmwares anytime they want to access a specific feature. I don't want 2-not-so-great-machines-in-1 that I can't even use at the same time, I want one machine that works twice as good doing its own thing.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
Poumtschak wrote:

Exactly. It would be one thing if he said something along the lines of him working with Korg and giving them feedback to help improve the current OS for each unit separately. To me, saying that people will be able to switch the firmware on these means rather than improve on what they have individual feels like a cope out. The user will be stuck juggling between firmwares anytime they want to access a specific feature. I don't want 2-not-so-great-machines-in-1 that I can't even use at the same time, I want one machine that works twice as good doing its own thing.

I really think we'll see improvements to the basic OS for the synth version.

It has to happen. If we're bumping into bugs and annoying shortcomings, then so is everyone, including development people and beta testers, etc. It was released before it was ready, just complete enough to work but knowing full well it needed a few rounds of fixes and improvements.

A swappable synth/sampler OS would be fun, but "customizable" makes me think that we're going to get some kind of super editor/librarian that might be able to swap or add PCMs, filter types, etc.

I like mine as-is, would love it with my favorite improvements, and would champion it forever if it improved AND could be customized.

For most people this thing isn't even out yet. Stores had a few early production run units on hand, most are sold out by now. Its a 2015 thing, and it's only January. I think we could see some exciting updates by spring.
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg reached out his hand to Ableton with the Electribe. I wouldn't be surprised if the Electribe would become a "Ableton in a box". I really hope so, it would be great and most of the frustrations (song mode, midi, etc) would be solved.
whormongr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, even if all they did was bugfixes and allow PCM imports - I would be a happy guy
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prayersforrain wrote:
Korg reached out his hand to Ableton with the Electribe. I wouldn't be surprised if the Electribe would become a "Ableton in a box". I really hope so, it would be great and most of the frustrations (song mode, midi, etc) would be solved.

I disagree - I like the electribe to continue to be standalone. That's part of its charm - not being tied to a computer.
Prayersforrain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want that the Electribe 2 stays a standalone but I mean that it would be great if you can use the Ableton possibilities on the Electribe.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later in the year will do for me, mine's going into a shipping container until they come up with some fixes.
Buska

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I sold mine last week for a good price. IF they fix up the firmware and various bugs and allow FW swaps I may buy another. I will wait to see how this all pans out though.

If this is really true, I want to know why the sampler version is $130 more expensive in Australia? If it truly is just the colour of the unit than this is a ridiculous price gouge
Spleen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: BIG News on the Electribe 2!! Reply with quote

Kilko wrote:

"It's very much an ongoing thing... It will be 'possible' to switch fw. In a way, its gonna be the most moddable synth ever released. You'll see why later in the year" Shocked

He just removed his post...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KORG Probably be like: bro watchou doin!?! take that ish off~!!
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, Dude you know we're not going to let me know do that though. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: