Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thomas Dolby "Science" Dr. Magnus Pyke samples
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hand solo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Thomas Dolby "Science" Dr. Magnus Pyke samples Reply with quote

Has anybody tried to use vocal isolation software on "She Blinded Me With Science" to get Dr. Magnus Pyke's spoken parts?

There is a YouTube video of TD explaining and playing some of the samples, but there are about 7 of them..I was able to edit four, and they don't sound that great.

when he plays it live , Dolby has Dr. Pyke's , and the female singer's parts assigned to different keys on a sample pad.

a daunting song to pull off to be sure !
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thomas Dolby "Science" Dr. Magnus Pyke samples Reply with quote

hand solo wrote:
Has anybody tried to use vocal isolation software on "She Blinded Me With Science" to get Dr. Magnus Pyke's spoken parts?

There is a YouTube video of TD explaining and playing some of the samples, but there are about 7 of them..I was able to edit four, and they don't sound that great.

when he plays it live , Dolby has Dr. Pyke's , and the female singer's parts assigned to different keys on a sample pad.

a daunting song to pull off to be sure !

I tried as well. Between the studio CD and a few live performances from Mr. Dolby himself, I was able to cobble together a couple samples but nothing great and certainly not enough to pull the song off perfectly. I eventually gave up.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
hand solo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale, let me figure out how to save my Science multisample, i'll load it here to share.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you already know about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVy5RUjdLh8

You MIGHT be able to better pull the samples from there, or at the very least get someone to imitate these lines a little more cleanly.
hand solo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, that's where i got the samples i have. i am not a wizard with digital recording platforms,but seems like we would be able to isolate those spoken parts if they were in the center of the mix.

i edit all my samples on the freeware Audacity.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hand solo wrote:
McHale, let me figure out how to save my Science multisample, i'll load it here to share.

Much appreciated. I wasn't aware of that video until this thread. There was a live performance where a few of those could be pulled but had a little noise. Now I wonder if there's a soundboard bootleg of a show of this demonstration. Would make for a near perfect sample set.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
tenohtwo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have better luck pulling a couple of samples from the 12" mix. I believe a couple of the Pyke samples come in early in the song, with only drums underneath (will have to listen again when I get home from work).

I used to have the Beatnik Player he released back in '99, and there was a remix 'contest' available for Science. I don't remember if the soundbytes were actually isolated for the user, but maybe those old files (probably RMF format) are floating out there, somewhere.

Here's an older, informative article about the recording of Science (pretty much a complete gear list, along with the sampling and recording techniques)

http://www.mixonline.com/news/profiles/classic-tracks-thomas-dolbys-she-blinded-me-science/365232

I'm a huge Dolby fan, and was very happy to see the Science strings and lead included in the new Kronos. There is another

hand solo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks tenohtwo..

"I'm a huge Dolby fan, and was very happy to see the Science strings and lead included in the new Kronos. "

are these stock sounds / available on this forum for Kronos and X users?

have been using Solina (Nord patch....excellent) for the strings.
hand solo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, i thought this would be a bit easier....how do i save my individual program "User G:82 Science Samples" to flash drive so i can share with you fine people ?

when i go to DISK / SAVE PCG , looks like only whole banks can be saved.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an empty bank that when I want to share a patch, I copy it to the empty bank at position 1 and export just that bank. Pretty sure there isn't a way to save a single patch (yet).

-Mc
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I have an empty bank that when I want to share a patch, I copy it to the empty bank at position 1 and export just that bank. Pretty sure there isn't a way to save a single patch (yet).

-Mc

Same here - Been trying to find a way to save a single combi/patch but with no luck. Just "Bank-at-once"
hand solo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll just post the four samples as .wav files in a while...then you hep cats may use as you wish Very Happy
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hand solo wrote:
i'll just post the four samples as .wav files in a while...then you hep cats may use as you wish Very Happy

You could export the bank and use PCGTools to clear out the others. It's a pretty quick process. However, these are simple samples so it's not like we need to find loop points or anything tricky with them.

Thanks again!

-Mc
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenohtwo wrote:
I used to have the Beatnik Player he released back in '99, and there was a remix 'contest' available for Science. I don't remember if the soundbytes were actually isolated for the user, but maybe those old files (probably RMF format) are floating out there, somewhere.

I searched and searched for the files from the contest to no avail. Drats!
hand solo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the Science .wav files but not sure how to include in this post.

is there a hidden "Add Attachment" i am missing? drop and drag?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: