Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daft Punk Lead Patch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derpancakes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Daft Punk Lead Patch Reply with quote

Hello! Normally I can figure out patches for anything I'd need, but sync leads really aren't my expertise. I was interested in the lead for this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZjqVnWBhc
but I cannot figure it out... Anyone have any ideas for this, or even general tips for sync leads?
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok not being funny . That's honesty.

but what makes you think it was a microkorg?

Sounds more like my odyssey

Are you struggling to make a sync sound or match that particular version? I can help you with the sound

Obviously there's some after synth processing happening
Derpancakes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt they'd use a microKORG, since they're really big with classic analog gear; it's just that my primary synth is an MK. And yeah, I'm struggling with both recreating that sound and sync leads in general.
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here we go as I can't download a patch and send it to you this is a good starter point.

I assume you know how to get thru the edit pages with the 3 dials? Hope so.

Goto full edit menu using clicky edit knob, from here on in most editing is the 3 rotary at the bottom.

Create init patch
Voice mode needs to be single

Mono 1 works well as it allows the legato playing and sounds better, choose poly if you like but poly sync is a bit meh in my opinion.

You want 2 pulse waves, saw can work but don't bite as hard.

Pulse wave 2 needs to be set to sync mode in osc2 menu and also needs to be set higher in semitones than wave 1, without this it doesn't sound quite as BADASS, maximum 12 semitones, minimum 5, play later once you are comfy.

You need to set an envelope to modulate the 2nd osc pitch, this is a part that many miss. So goto envelope 3 , add attack of around 35-55, decay of around the same and release of 50+. these settings control the actual SYNC effects sound, the squeal if you like, without these it won't ever work

This env needs to be set to modulate pitch of osc 2 so goto patch 1 source and select env 3, then select dest as osc2 pitch, Set amount to maximum (can change later to suit)

Go back to start of editing pages, find unison mode and set to 4 for maximum effect and bite, detune a tiny bit, 4-7 is plenty

Next edit page is pitch/analog tune-set to 17-25
Detune to about 5
Portamento to about 40, add more later if required

Leave edit menu, goto filter with dial one

Have filter cutoff approx 85 on lowpass filter(other filters sound great too, just giving you instant start) , reso about 35-40

Goto amp

Amp envelope set to zero attack, decay around 75 and release the same.

In edit menu again no drive wave shapers are used by me but it's up to you.

You will want fx though, goto fx page.

Fx 1 set to standard delay (1st in list) and fx 2 chorus ( change fx if you like to phaser, flanger whatever, again just starting you)

Delay settings-70/30 dry /wet
Type cross, bpm sync on, Tm ratio 75%
L delay 1/8 and r delay 1/8
Feedback 28 again use to suit taste
Zero hi damp, trim set to mid point, around 50 is nice to start, spread 35 ish

Chorus settings
55/45 dry/wet
127 modulation-thicker sound
Lfo set real low about 000.13hz (this is so the chorus doesn't wobble but you get the effect very slowly, it's pleasant)
Lfo spread 180
Pre delay l and r 13.0ms
Trim 55-65

Now you should be there really, I use the modulation wheel to add vibrato but I make sure it's real low like 40 or something so there's modulation but not massive amounts, it sounds better IMO

Have a go at the above and reply, attach a sound file if you can, ??? Laughing
Derpancakes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed you had replied.... quite a while ago. I have the original microKORG, not the XL. This definitely works well as a diving-in point though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: