Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Synth rise for Uptown Funk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Synth rise for Uptown Funk Reply with quote

I play this part live in the sequence of this song. I tried to move that part of the Combi from another thread, but it did not work. Right now I am using the joystick to create the rise, but its not smooth enough and very hard to do because of the short travel of the stick. I tried a portamento but could not get that to work. Does anyone have a PCG of the rise using a programmed pitch rise modulation source that they would share with this forum, as I am sure many people are playing this song and probably having problems like I am? I am a player not a programmer, so these kind of things always present problems.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
awyatt1

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153216387974763&set=o.346046292093241&type=2&theater

Sorry, but it doesn't look like the link to the video works. In this video, the guy uses program INT-E 052 which is Power Synth. While on that program, press OSC/Pitch. Then press OSC 1 Pitch and change Pitch EG Intensity to +12. Do the same thing for OSC 2 Pitch. Press Pitch EG and look under envelope. Change Level Start to -99 and Level Attack to +99. Change Time Attack to 80 and Time Decay to 99.

Last edited by awyatt1 on Tue May 26, 2015 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
JFree

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use portamento and play a 2 octave chromatic scale in eighth notes. It was easier for me than programming the rise.
shock410

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That can be easily done with the Pitch EG...it will glide up on its own...that's how I do it....sounds just like it.
andrewt

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=628506#628506

The last paragraph of that post explains how I did it.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm old school. I did it with Portamento over 2 octaves. I can see where the EG version could save some Combi real estate.
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Uptown Funk Synth Glide Solution (easy to do) Reply with quote

I tried all the ways discussed on this forum and could not get them to work in sequence mode (or any other mode for that matter), so I figured it out myself. This is a very easy way to do it either in sequence or combi mode:

PCGs: Gliding Squares and Ka Pro PHATT Lead. I have a K2-88, so I have both programs mapped from C#6 to C8. Gliding Squares is -24 tuning and Ka Pro PHATT Lead is -12 tuning. The relative volumes are about equal and the EQ is the same as the programs.

The internal FX is Stereo Auto Pan Delay with the Left delay value at 125.0 and the Right delay value at 100.00, the auto pan depth is 100 and the wet/dry is 50/50. This provides some movement in the stereo field, but may not be necessary in done in mono. I also added moderate stereo chorusing and O-verb from the master effects.

We do this song at a BPM of 115; at that meter set the portamento values to 89. Tap the C#6 to get the glide to start on that note. When the glide measure begins hold C8 and the glide should start and end at the appropriate time. I know there are probably more intricate ways to do this, but this method allows you realtime control of the synth glide volume relative to the rest of the mix which is important when playing live.

Hope this helps.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Synth Rise Reply with quote

Have u tried amyatt1 his is very close. I do not know what you mean in gliding squares i have a K288 also could you give more detailed info on synth rise thanks.
EdK

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try awyatt1's way.

(I'm playing on a Triton Studio 8Cool

I know I can make it work using portamento but I'm trying to avoid using so much real estate on the keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: