Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXB-FW for M3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
szurcio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: EXB-FW for M3? Reply with quote

I'm looking for the EXB-FW expansion for my M3. I'm in the US. Does anyone here have one for sale? I couldn't find much good feedback about this expansion but I have decided to take the risk and try it out for myself...
ffx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt find anything good about latency and firewire-M3... And since Korg doesn't support anything M3 related, maybe it's a better decision not to buy the firewire extension. It could be also not Win8 or Yosemite compatible since Korg also doesn't update any drivers (which is completely nonsense since their M3 users update their OS systems, of course). 64 bit support nada, too.

EDIT: PLEASE READ BELOW

Last edited by ffx on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ffx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to revise my prior statement. I lately bought an EXB-FW for 70 €...!

I am on Mac OSX 10.9.4, so I cannot speak for PC users, but I use an Hackintosh (Core i7 + Firewire PCIe card + M-Audio 1814). Connected the M3 to the M-Audio'S 2nd firewire port.

The integration of the 3x2 stereo outputs + 1 stereo in works out of the box! The M3 simply will appear as a new sound device in midi/audio setup. Sample rate is fixed to 48kHz (ok for me). The latency is around 4-20ms, which is ok for me. I currently work with 10ms in my DAW, so round-trip is about 20ms. But I can go down to 2ms, so roundtrip latency would be around 4ms. The sound input from M3 still seems to be stable at 2ms.

So IMO you can buy this extension for the M3 without any hassle (at least on Mac OSX).

There are two tips around:

- Midi via Firewire is as slow as original MIDI. So you can instead use the USB connection for MIDI, especially if you dumping or prefer solid timings. Didn't test Midi thru FW so far.

- If you have any crackles, you can try to use an optical SPDIF connection M3->audio interface next to the firewire connection and sync the audio device from external output.

BTW. in some forums it's written that you will loose the analog outputs if using Firewire. From first testings I can say that this is not true! The analog outputs and also digital ones still output next to the firewire connection.
ffx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One addition:

Midi-over-Firewire will only work if the Korg M3 firewire interface will be the master clock for the other interfaces (in system's audio-/midi-setup). I built an aggregate device with my firewire audio interface + korg m3 firewire, m3 is the master clock. Everything works fine and stable. Very nice!
alonsoramos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m planning to buy the exp fb expansion. I use MainStage for live performances. The question is Korg M3 would act as an audio interface with this expansion?

In other words, I would like to play the sounds from mainstage but the output source would be the m3?

I hope I was clear enough

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: